Thread: Most Common 87' YJ Problems?

Default Most Common 87' YJ Problems?

I just wanted to get a heads up... what are the most common issues/problems that the 1987 YJ has?
    It's the 3spd Auto tranny, has PS, PB, AIR... so the owner claims. Im going to check it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennH View Post
    I just wanted to get a heads up... what are the most common issues/problems that the 1987 YJ has?
    It's the 3spd Auto tranny, has PS, PB, AIR... so the owner claims. Im going to check it out this weekend.
    If it's the 6 cyl it's got the miserable Carter carb setup. Very problematic.

Check the frame for rust/rot especially by the rear leaf spring shackle hangers and the frame around the steering box.

Lift the carpets and look for bad rust on the floors.

There are more, but those are some of the biggies

Registered

No overdrive. That's a big negative for me.

It's gonna need some stuff to make it viable. How much is it going for?

So I went and looked at it tonight. It's got dual exhaust, 2" bodylift, brand new 31's. Also has new paint, NO RUST. All the floorboards are amazingly still got some kinda undercoating on them. The only spot is the passenger side floor, it has a 4inch long by 1inch wide hole. The vehicle has a canadian safety already but it's from texas. So I can drive away with no hassle. The leaf hangers are fine, the steering box and frame look fine. The tranny has had alot of work but couldnt confirm a rebuild. It's the 6cyl auto and original carb. It idles high then low and during the low the exhaust makes a pop sound. It's been sitting for a year and when you fire it up and kinda smokes... definatly needs an oil change and new gas. The engine bay is totally clean, no smoke damage, no spills etc. the interior is really good, the seats got a few cracks in em, nothing major though. The passenger side fender step is cracked.
    Here's a photo..
    http://www.canadatrader.com/App_Them...er/overlay.gif

he wants $4,000cdn dollars...

Registered

Dual exhaust out of a straight 6? Hmm... What's the cdn/usd conversion rate? I forgot.

Photo no worky

Price out some 91-95 YJ's. These years are all MPFI and replacement parts are more common. I would spend a little more on these years than anything before 1991. BTW, I don't know of any automatic YJ that came stock with OD. First year the wrangler had OD was in 2003.

zman
    2003 Rubicon, Auto, 4.88's, 4.5" Nth LA, 1" BL, 1"MML, Currie HD steering, 35" MTR's on 15x8 and other stuff.
    2011 Grand Cherokee
    95 YJ, 4.0L, AW4, 39.5"x17, Atlas 4.3, D60/14B with Detroits and 5.38.
    My Website

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    BTW, I don't know of any automatic YJ that came stock with OD. First year the wrangler had OD was in 2003.

zman
    True. I've had both and I'm hooked on the OD. Current Jeep is a 5 speed and I use 5th a lot. I couldn't imagine driving around in 4th(1-1) all day like the top gear in a 3-speed. I'd go through gas like crazy. If I were to have an auto at all in a YJ, it would be an AW-4. There's no going back to 3-speeds for me.

Unless you are a true YJ enthusiast there is absolutely no good reason to buy a carbed one...the 91+ FI system is more powerful reliable and efficient...

Registered

Default But If You Can Get A Great Deal.....

Quote Originally Posted by yjislander View Post
    Unless you are a true YJ enthusiast there is absolutely no good reason to buy a carbed one...the 91+ FI system is more powerful reliable and efficient...
    HI yjislander,
    Well, I agree to a point. I am the owner of a red '89 Islander AX15 258 soft top with 80K real miles on it when I bought it. I bought mine for $1200 four years ago. No rust, everything worked (sort of) and I didn't have much money. That's a good reason to buy a carbed YJ. I feel like I stole it.

The BBD carb had the usual problems and the former owner really screwed up the emissions system. That's why the price was so good. The engine barely ran and the Jeep was not road capable. I towed it home. I fixed these problems and many other little detail things. This Jeep was road and trail worthy pretty quickly. I initially brought it back to stock specification, except for the addition of the winch, and got everything working . Of course, with little money to work with I did all the work myself. I learned a lot.

I would not recommend this approach to someone who can't do the work themselves. My YJ is a hobby vehicle and not a daily driver. I could take as much time as it needed.

Now, four years later, I have done a lot of upgrades. One major thing was the addition of a Howell TBI kit. I definitely agree with you about FI on the later models. But other than that I really like my early model YJ and the TBI fixed my major objection. All the other upgrades would have been done no matter which model year.

Parts availability has not been a problem at all.

I would not trade it for a TJ. Too hard to work on and too expensive to beat up. But a good deal on a later YJ I could live with easily. I like them a lot.

Long live square headlights, right?

Sparky
    Red '89 Soft Top YJ, 258 Howell Fuel Injected (love it), Vanco Hydroboost hydraulic brake boost system (works great), Safari Snorkle, AX15, D30 and D35 both ARB locked, Tom Wood's CV & SYE, Teralow + 2 low, Tomkin rock sliders, Pro Comp 31X10.5 Mud Terains on 31X8.5 steel wheels, Garvin top and tailgate racks, Tuffy glovebox, center console, rear trunk, Hella Compact 4000 spots and fogs, Pair of Hella rear work lights, Warn 7" fllairs, Warn front bumper, Custom Rear bumper, Warn 8274 winch, BestTop reclining seats, Wrangler NW Power dual battery system, Dual Optima Yellow Top batteries, Mean Green 140A alternator, Mean Geen heavy duty starter, 3 core radiator, Lots of skid plates. Cobra CB, There's more but of less importance.

Well put I agree completely, for somebody who has the know how and patience the 4.2 is greatly underrated and is an excellent powerplant, however for the majority of folks that don't have time/space/or ability to tolerate the quirks of the carb system, it doesn't make sense. In your case it sounds like you got a great deal, however for somebody who had to pay to have all the issues resolved it wouldn't be such a smart buy, as there are lots of 4.0 YJs available for about the same cost once you add up the bills...

Registered

I got my 89 for such a price that I could install the Mopar fuel injection kit and it pencilled out... I knew that the carb and attendant forest would be a problem, and I rebuilt the carb, replaced the O2 sensor and EGR valve, and when those didn't solve the problem, I simply circled the wagons and installed the Mopar kit in order to pass smog...and even so, I had to replace the cat, too... So, if ya go into a carbed Jeep, I would highly suggest that somewhere in yer thinkin' process you pencil in the installation of the Howell or Mopar kit... the former is less expensive and is very well thought of, the latter is more expensive but is the Cadillac... installation IS a thinkin' thang, but not brain surgery... I'm very glad I went with it...