Thread: WJ-4.0 Help changing speed sensor in 42RE

Registered

Default WJ-4.0 Help changing speed sensor in 42RE

I am trying to help my brother fix an intermittent problem he's been having with his 2002 WJ with the 4.0 and 42RE. I have determined it is the speed sensor and I have the new part. I was about to change it and the DIY I found http://www.wjjeeps.com/speed_sensors.htm says to just pull it and replace it, but that DIY was for the 45RFE / 545RFE, which has 2 sensors up higher.

The sensor on the 42RE looks to be way on the bottom and I am wondering if this is going to dump the fluid if I take out the sensor. Obviously it's a much more messy job if that's the case so i want to be prepared with a pan and fluid.

If anyone has done this with the 6 cylinder tranny please let me know.

Thanks from the TJ side!

-Jer
    1999 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!) FOR SALE pretty much stock again. >>Pics<<
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -
    From Long Island? click here.

Registered

Default RE: WJ-4.0 Help changing speed sensor in 42RE

Quote Originally Posted by GriptrukTJ View Post
    I am trying to help my brother fix an intermittent problem he's been having with his 2002 WJ with the 4.0 and 42RE. I have determined it is the speed sensor and I have the new part. I was about to change it and the DIY I found http://www.wjjeeps.com/speed_sensors.htm says to just pull it and replace it, but that DIY was for the 45RFE / 545RFE, which has 2 sensors up higher.

The sensor on the 42RE looks to be way on the bottom and I am wondering if this is going to dump the fluid if I take out the sensor. Obviously it's a much more messy job if that's the case so i want to be prepared with a pan and fluid.

Thanks from the TJ side!

-Jer
    I replaced this on my WJ earlier this year. Yes you will get some leakage of the tranny fluid. If you are quick, only a minimal amount will come out. Other than that it was pretty simple procedure.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by wjcjs View Post
    I replaced this on my WJ earlier this year. Yes you will get some leakage of the tranny fluid. If you are quick, only a minimal amount will come out. Other than that it was pretty simple procedure.
    Thanks... did it come gushing out, is this like indiana jones taking the holy grail kind of thing?
    maybe i'll put the jeep on its side
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -

Icon313

Thanks... did it come gushing out, is this like indiana jones taking the holy grail kind of thing?
    maybe i'll put the jeep on its side
    no need to do that just put a rag on the ground yank the old one out and stick the new one in there...easy to do...steve
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Registered

If you are worried about losing too much fluid. Just go buy a quart of ATF+4 transmission fluid for a peace of mind.
    02 Limited 4.7 Quadradrive
    245/70/16 Mastercraft Courser AT
    16x7 Cragar
    159,xxx miles

Thanks from the TJ side!

-Jer
    I just replaced the senosr on mine on monday lol it is real easy it sit's right there on the over drive gear box...screws right out but becare fluid came rolling out make sure you have something there to catch fluid...

Registered

Thanks guys... hopefully i don't fumble it!
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -