Thread: Jeep Wrangler Tj 2004 - Evap 0441 error code

Registered

Icon312 Jeep Wrangler Tj 2004 - Evap 0441 error code

Hey all,

Recently had my orange engine light come on once in a while spitting out the Evap 0441 error code.

I thought it may have been the crap gas I got at the last station but nope. I wiped the computer codes out with my obd2 reader and there was joy for a few days.
    Its back on again.

I read it may be the gas cap or hoses. Where would I check for hoses for this system on my particular model of jeep?? I heard mention of under the battery area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather remedy the problem then keep on wiping the computer.

Thanks in advance all!
    Jeep TJ 2004 Sport - 6 cyl-4.0l
    Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jayloki View Post
    Hey all,

Recently had my orange engine light come on once in a while spitting out the Evap 0441 error code.

I thought it may have been the crap gas I got at the last station but nope. I wiped the computer codes out with my obd2 reader and there was joy for a few days.
    Its back on again.

I read it may be the gas cap or hoses. Where would I check for hoses for this system on my particular model of jeep?? I heard mention of under the battery area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather remedy the problem then keep on wiping the computer.

Thanks in advance all!

What does the 0441 code state in description?

I had to go to the dealer and they ran smoke thru the evap. system to find the leak.It turned out to be the seal around the fuel pump on top of the gas tank.I would have never found it by trail & error the smoke found it right away.

I had one, but the code was "large evap leak". I thought it might have been a gas cap, since that's usually what it is, but it was the hose that goes into the evap canister. The hose is flared on the end, and that flare is thinner than the rest of the hose, and it cracked down the side. It is a dealer only part that's $40 (no surprise there). I bought the largest diameter rubber hose I could get at the parts store. I only needed 6 inches or so, but I put the whole 12" on there since you never know when you might need an extra 6" of rubber hose. It took some work, but I managed to get it to fit on there. Cost me $.88.

Quote Originally Posted by LouFab View Post
    I had to go to the dealer and they ran smoke thru the evap. system to find the leak.It turned out to be the seal around the fuel pump on top of the gas tank.
    How did they find a leak on top of the tank with smoke?...
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
    How did they find a leak on top of the tank with smoke?...
    My brother is a 30 year D/C Tech and he pretty much knows where to point the light to find the smoke after doing a few.A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

start with the gas cap, buy a new one from the dealer

wait a week, if that doesnt fix it, have it smoke tested

I had to go to the dealer and they ran smoke thru the evap. system to find the leak.It turned out to be the seal around the fuel pump on top of the gas tank.I would have never found it by trail & error the smoke found it right away.

Did they do the dry ice thing???

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
    Did they do the dry ice thing???
    No they have a pump that puts smoke into the evap. system under mild pressure.Then a light is shone into all the tubes and connections to find smoke coming out...there's the leak.

No they have a pump that puts smoke into the evap. system under mild pressure.Then a light is shone into all the tubes and connections to find smoke coming out...there's the leak.

cool!