Thread: 5.9 Limited "Coolant Sensor Bad" ....How many are there?

Icon316 5.9 Limited "Coolant Sensor Bad" ....How many are there?

This code is constantly pinging at me. I replaced the coolant temp sensor near the water pump/snoot, then replaced the level indicator sensor in the overflow reservoir. No dice.

The 5.9 has no clutch fan, so the electric fan is activated using two sensors which are in-line with the upper radiator hose and the lower radiator hose. My fan seems to be working normal, so I assume (and hope) it's not one of these babies ($75/each from dealer).

It's keeping cool, running normal temps all the time.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ 5.9 Limited View Post
    This code is constantly pinging at me. I replaced the coolant temp sensor near the water pump/snoot, then replaced the level indicator sensor in the overflow reservoir. No dice.

The 5.9 has no clutch fan, so the electric fan is activated using two sensors which are in-line with the upper radiator hose and the lower radiator hose. My fan seems to be working normal, so I assume (and hope) it's not one of these babies ($75/each from dealer).

Any ideas?

Have you checked ut the "speedfreaks" section? Most of the 5.9 guys hang out over there.

Icon316

Quote Originally Posted by EJ 5.9 Limited View Post

Any ideas?

There have been some post reporting that the problem is no with the sensor on the coolant tank, but a bad solder connection in the VIC. mine will act up for a while and then work fine for a few months. have changed the sensor and checked the wiring at the connector. everything looks fine.

SnaFu
    1997 Jeep GC 4.0L
    Stock

on the 5.9L i'm not sure....I know there;s one on the upper rad hose. On the 5.2L there's TWO in the intake manifold by the waterneck. one for the puter, and one for the gauge. There's also the level sensor in the overflow tank. Mine did the same thing to me, I replaced BOTH sensors on the intake, and i still got the message. I eventually learned that it was the overflow tank sensor. replaced it and it was fine for 6 yrs until i sold the ZJ
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Taz,
    I think you responded last time thinking it may be the tank reservior. I tried that, no dice. I suppose I need to look to see if there is another sensor near the neck, don't recall seeing one..(thanks snafu).

NJ5.9ZJ - I'd rather hang out with you guys.. I can't afford to go fast.

I get that error on and off for the past few months now. Temperature seems to read ok. I haven't tried changing it tho.

Niners (OBD-2) have only one H20 sensor in the intake manifold. 95' and earlier (OBD-1) ZJ's have two there as described earlier.

Registered

Just mod the VIC to ignore the sensor - just throw a 1-3.3k resister to the correct pin and connect that to ground. Done.
    '95 Grand Cherokee - Laredo - L6 4.0
    Bilstein HD // Dynomax Cat-back // Magnaflow carsound catalytic converter // Exhaust header // 235/75R15 Bridgestone A/T Revo
    overhead console added // VIC added and sensors disabled // Pioneer DEH-P4900iB // 4x Alpine SPS-17C2

Registered

Can the resistor also just be jumped in the connector at the bottle?
    '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L
    - K&N FIPK, MOPAR ECM, 180 Thermo, IAT Relocation, 242 Select-Trac Swap, Transgo Jr Shift Kit, 52mm TB, General Grabber UHP tires (255/65/16)
    - On the shelf: M1, Clear Corners, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, Kolak Exhaust, Tranny cooler, IAT Adjuster

http://jeepgrandcherokeelimited59l.cjb.net/

'98 Twin Intercooled Powerdyne Camaro SS #C4

Registered

i get it intermittently on my new-to-me 5.9.

i already knew to ignore it, from this forum lol.

I'll be doing the resistor mod soon.

Oddly, i also get a low washer fluid beep - even topped off.

Like others stated it is the VIC. Watch the forums for ZJ part outs. You can probably pic up a VIC for $25 or so.
    2008 JK unlimited rubicon - stock for now
    98 ZJ 5.9L - mopar performance ECU, Kolak ignition, K&N FIPK, JetHot coated ML Headers, 3" Carsound cat, 3" Flowmater 70 series, Mopar MPI intake, 52mm TB, 1.7 Crower roller rockers, 180*T-stat, 24# FMS injectors, 4" lift - Rusty's springs and adj. arms, ORGS track bars, 265/75/16 TRXUS, 242 t-case, 2400 torque converter and supershift kit, B&M trans cooler, 4:56 gears, ARB front bumper.
    98 TJ 4.0L Sahara - 6" total lift, 35" BFG muds, Koz rear bumper to hold spare and Hi-Lift