Thread: Help. I broke off my starter bolts.

Default Help. I broke off my starter bolts.

So I bought my first Jeep. A 1995 YJ with the 2.5 engine. I knew it needed a little help, but thats part of the fun. I saw there was a large dent in the oil pan and bought a replacement. I tried to remove the starter to get the pan out. When I did I snapped off those stupid external torx heads. I tried to used a stripped nut and bolt extractor from craftsmen and made it worse. I tried drilling in to get a different kind of extractor in there and made it even worse.

So now I have basically nothing to work with. If I could get up high enough I'd cut through the bolts at the top, but there's no room. I would gladly sacrifice the starter at this point, but can't figure out a way to even do that.

Any ideas out there?

Registered

Well, if you snapped off the bolt heads (and you got all of them), the starter should back out with the remains of the bolts in them - they're now just locator pins. Give the starter a smack to loosen it from the bell housing, then pull it off with the bolts still in it.
    '94 YJ 4-banger auto, 1 inch shackle lifts, running 31's - otherwise STOCK! She ain't pretty, but she never gets stuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

Oh, wait, I went by my Jeep, and the auto is different! If you have a stick, the bolts are side loaders, and you have a pretty big problem. You may have to torch the sucker out - not a job for an amateur OR the faint of heart.
    '94 YJ 4-banger auto, 1 inch shackle lifts, running 31's - otherwise STOCK! She ain't pretty, but she never gets stuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

Mine is a 4.0 so it may be a little different, but it looks like you could get to the two on the top (the ones that come in from the rear and thread into the starter) with a dremel tool and a small cutting wheel. Cut off the remainder of the bolt heads and like "mechman" said they will be just locators at that point. Then (I think) you could do the same on the front bolt. Looks like the starter would then slide off leaving the bottom front bolt in the bell and bringing the remains of the top two out with it. Again, mine may be different from yours, hope this helps. Good luck!

I wish I could just cut the heads off. The starter goes in horizontal from the passanger side in. The bolts go vertical into the block. So by cutting off the heads all I accomplished (off course I did it without thinking) is cutting off the heads. The bolts still prevent the starter from coming out. They still go up through the starter into the block mount. The gearing still goes in next to the oil pan keeping it from sliding off the bolts.

I think my purpose in life will be to remove every torx head on the thing and hunt down the moron that decided they were a good idea to use and feed them to him. My 83 Toyota P/U was soooo much easier to fix when I messed something up, but my kids want to be with me now when I take off for the weekend.

A torch huh. Unfortunately I don't own one. Maybe I'll ginsu it with the sawsall tomorrow. I just don't know if I can get the right angle.

Registered

heres a thought, can you back the the trans out to give you enough room to get the starter out, thats is if it will do any good, im not familier with a 2.5, other than that good luck cutting that starter out, try not to cut the bolts down any more as you'll need to have something to grab hold of to get them out, there is a extractor out there that fits over things like that instead of inside, i think its made by kc tools
    89YJ 258 AX15 shackle lift
    Member"
    Corva
    UFWDA
    Blue Ribbon Coalition

Registered

Don't worry about cutting too much of the bolt out, you can always drill them once the starter is gone.

After my first post here I looked at a couple pictures of your starter and realized the difference between mine and yours. Autos bolt onto the bell housing with the bolts parallel to the main shaft of the starter, but yours bolts run perpendicular to the shaft.

The only thing I can think to do (besides pulling the motor or trans) is to use a torch to burn through the bottom of the bolts through the starter housing - essentially punching two holes in it and burning through the bolts at the bottom. Or you might be able to burn open the top of the block, where the bolt heads were, so that you can get an extractor socket over the bolt shafts.

Either way, it's ugly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]