Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5.9 Elec Fan issue

Default 5.9 Fan Motor Replacement

I thought I would Verify what bakhoumn stated in the earlier thread that the fan motor with the part number #PM9069 does fit perfectly in the stock 5.9 fan shroud. Also the Motorcraft part number #WPT-168 is the right Pigtail harness for the PM9069 fan motor. I did this swap Today and it works Awesome!!! I got the Pigtail harness at a parts store here in Texas called Full Service Auto Parts, it cost $24.58 out the door. The motor was $108.11 out the door at Autozone. The Motor has a Lifetime Warranty on it. I have the fan wired to a 70amp Cole Hersee continous duty relay that I got from http://texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp and a 60amp MAXI fuse in a inline fuse holder ( I have the 10 gauge one) that I got from http://www.connectorsupply.com/catal...ml?language=en
    Last edited by TX59GRAND; 07-13-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Default 5.9 Fan Motor Swap

Here is a picture of the Autozone Fan Motor that I installed.http://www.flickr.com/photos/40109258@N04/3686243024/

Here is a picture that I took of the Autozone Fan Motor and the Pigtail.http://www.flickr.com/photos/40109258@N04/3686245930/

Here is a link to the pictures I took of the Autozone Fan and the Pigtail.http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884087193/
    Last edited by TX59GRAND; 07-06-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: url changed

Quote Originally Posted by TX59GRAND View Post
    I thought I would Verify what bakhoumn stated in the earlier thread that the fan motor with the part number #PM9069 does fit perfectly in the stock 5.9 fan shroud.
    So the fan blade attaches like the factory one with no modifications needed.

What city in Texas are you in?
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Yes all I had to do is knock the little metal clamp of the shaft and take the Stock worn out 5.9 motor out and put the New Autozone one in. Then just knock the little metal clamp back on the shaft of the New motor. It was 101 degrees today and with the AC on my 5.9 was running about 185 to 190 degrees driving. It got up to about 200 in stop and go traffic with the AC on. I live in San Antonio, Texas.

This is good info. as the stock replacement fan assy. has gone up incredibly in the last few years.

I'm running a 180 degree T-stat and my engine temps are consistent with yours.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Yes, I can't believe how much it went up in price. I had checked it a couple of years ago at www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and it was around $236.00 and now it is $537.42!!! I take it that you already have the part #56022139AC for the Complete 5.9 Fan Assembly. I should have bought one as a spare back then!

Quote Originally Posted by TX59GRAND View Post
    Yes, I can't believe how much it went up in price. I had checked it a couple of years ago at www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and it was around $236.00 and now it is $537.42!!! I take it that you already have the part #56022139AC for the Complete 5.9 Fan Assembly. I should have bought one as a spare back then!
    Yeah, I bought the whole replacement shroud assy. back when they were around $275. I kept the old one which still works fine. It has 98k miles on it and I wanted to play it safe.

Default 5.9 fan motor swap

I managed to find the whole assembly used on Ebay for $80.00 shipped, so I bought it as an extra. I cut the factory fan out of the shroud and mounted a 16" Zirgo electric fan into the extra 5.9 shroud which worked for awhile but it would not pull enough air to keep the 5.9 cool with the AC on. So I decided to try the #PM9069 fan motor that was in this thread, and I worked Perfectly!!! Also my 5.9 just turned 215000 miles so I REALLY don't want it running to hot, trying to keep it going as long as I can.

Icon928

I'm going to do the same thing. Which wires go to which on the pigtail?-----Thanks
    5.9 ZJ
    2000 GCL 4.7 --hers

Registered

I see you decide to go with manual fan control but I was wondering if you know if the stock relays/wiring will handle the load from the Autozone PM9069 fan? My preference would be to just let the fan turn on & off based on coolant temp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vicdome View Post
    I see you decide to go with manual fan control but I was wondering if you know if the stock relays/wiring will handle the load from the Autozone PM9069 fan? My preference would be to just let the fan turn on & off based on coolant temp.

Thanks
    The stock relays should work fine. It is a direct replacement motor. The amp draw will be the same as stock. Plug and play!

I did this repair today. Autozone did not have the PM9069 in stock locally so I went to NAPA. They were able to cross the number to 6551719 ($114). If anyone else needs a motor this might be helpful.
    2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
    2005 Ram 2500 Cummins
    1967 Chevy Impala SS Convertible 396

V10....Thanks for that information, I hope you dont mind but I added the information to the pictures of the swap I posted on here for people to use. I did put your name (V10) and the date when you posted it to give the credit to you for finding that out about the motor at NAPA. Hope that is OK.
    1998 White 5.9 Grand Cherokee Limited, 3inch Skyjacker Springs, Doetsch Tech Shocks, Kevins Offroad Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconects, Summit Mud Dawg tires 235/85-16, Lincoln Mark VIII 18" radiator fan http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884032909/

Sounds like a good plan, and Thanks to all of the original posters. I saved a lot of cash getting just the motor instead of the entire fan module!
    2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
    2005 Ram 2500 Cummins
    1967 Chevy Impala SS Convertible 396

Thanks a million times over!!! the part numbers are correct, and my jeep is running great after over heating from a burned up fan motor. Your Awesome!!!

THANKS!!!
    '98 ZJ 5.9L, 231 HD, TW shafts, 2" boost with 255x70x16's, ARB with MM winch, K&N cold air, just a start...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2