Thread: Warn 9.5 ti Service Manual?

Default Warn 9.5 ti Service Manual?

Does anyone have or know a source for a WARN 9.5ti Service Manual? I have the owners manual, parts list, and warrantee. That all tells me what not to do, what parts are needed, and who pays, but it doesn't give me any details about disassembly/assembly considerations (like lubes, torque specs, etc.)

Yes, it looks easy enough, and I believe I can handle it, but it never hurts to have the directions...

Anyone?

Registered

is it in one of those downloadable files on the warn website?

Default Downloadables

Thanks but No. The downloadable files are:
    • User Manual
    • Parts List
    • Warrantee

Like I said, I have those.

Registered

I thought the user manual told you all you needed about maintenance too.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiinit View Post
    I thought the user manual told you all you needed about maintenance too.
    It's been a while since I looked at my manual, but.... It was about 50 pages long. 2 were in English. Installation was not rocket surgery, but it didn't even give very good instructions for installation much less any maintenance or break down info.

98 TJ 4.0, 5sd, Accel ignition, Flowmaster Super 44or, Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex lift kit, RE Gen2 quick discos, RE Mono Tube shocks, Terra Flex Extreme Short SYE, Tom Woods drive shaft, 4.56 gears, OX locked D30 front, Detroit locked D44 rear, Mickey Thompson 33x12.50x15 Baja MTZ's, Pro Comp 15x10 Rock Crawler 97's, Warn rear bumper and tire carrier, Line-Xed Sahara flares, Searcher's HD steering and rock sliders, Warn 9.5ti

It would not surprise me that Warn does not publish that info so as to keep the liability issue minimized. If they don't tell you how to take it apart and put it back together (which then results in an accident because it was your fault anyway), you can't blame them for it.

That would be my take on it.
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

Default Thanks Stu.

Hey stranger. Thanks for reasoned response. That was my take as well. It's Ironic though since it looks for all the world like a 3-speed bicycle hub on steroids. Which is why it doesn't really worry me much to take it apart. I just wanted to be sure I put lube on the right parts and used the correct lubes and torque, and have a little order of operations insight beyond just noodling it out as I tear it down.

As it turns out, this is probably all academic in the short term because WARN gave me an RMA to send the pig back and have it all paid for by Daddy WARN. Seems the problem I have is known to them and they're living up to the Lifetime Warrantee.

Still, I like to have service manuals for my stuff. It's surprising sometimes all the info available in them that is useful to consumers that never make it into the owners manuals...

Nevertheless, if a legit source for a service manual exists, I would love to know.

AFAIK there has not been a service manual printed since the 8274 came out.
    Paved Roads:
    Another fine example of needless government spending.

What went wrong? What was the "known issue" they speak of?
    Only 'tards ride their dirtbike in the yard.:dmb:
    RIDE STEALTH

The design of the bail lever seal was changed to improve water resistance. Early versions were more "leaky" than later ones. The manual still advises to avoid immersion and to have the winch serviced if it is immersed. Also warns against washing winch with high-pressure spray, especially where drum meets housing.

My winch gears were seized and the housing full of crystal clear water. The theory is that it slowly got full of water leaking in from the lever or the spool.

I think once it's repaired I will have to look inside every spring and fall to make sure it's not filling up. I will probably also spool the cable every month or so to make sure everything is running free. That might actually be fun - hook it to my other Jeep at the top of the driveway and winch the Wrangler up the hill...

I spoke with Tech support regarding the same issue. They where going to send me another lever if needed.

I just rotate the lever often to make sure its loose enough to allow the clutch to disengage/engage. Nothing was worse than needing to recover somebody and not being able to free the clutch.

I works great now that I've broken it loose.
    Links4Jeeps.com
    1600+ Write-ups, Club listings, Forums, Offroad parks, Personal websites welcome. Their site is listed how come yours isn't?
    My Write-ups My Heap

Quote Originally Posted by kizer View Post
    I spoke with Tech support regarding the same issue. They where going to send me another lever if needed.

I just rotate the lever often to make sure its loose enough to allow the clutch to disengage/engage. Nothing was worse than needing to recover somebody and not being able to free the clutch.

I works great now that I've broken it loose.
    Lucky you. I did just exactly what you said. And the lever was free and I could freespool. So I just checked the lever from time to time and it was fine. I stopped checking the drum for movement... But when I tried to use the winch last Saturday it would neither freespool nor run the drum under winch power. I could not pull the cable out or power it out. The motor ran and the solenoids clicked but it might as well have been a cake mixer because it didn't run cable anywhere...

I am in the process of tearing it down so I can get the cable off (the drum won't turn so I think I am just going to have to unwind it by hand. I am not happy with this device though since it is to be fixed under warrantee I am just going to keep my thoughts to myself for now.

ppro

Interesting news. When I took mine apart to replace a power lead, I was none too impressed with the construction of the winch at least as far as the housing was concerned.
    Only 'tards ride their dirtbike in the yard.:dmb:
    RIDE STEALTH

Email Warn. They offered to send me the parts for free. I told them my Warn was a couple years old and the tech said Warn doesn't offically state it, but if they can keep a Warn working they will even if its out of the warranty period.
    Links4Jeeps.com
    1600+ Write-ups, Club listings, Forums, Offroad parks, Personal websites welcome. Their site is listed how come yours isn't?
    My Write-ups My Heap

Quote Originally Posted by kizer View Post
    Email Warn. They offered to send me the parts for free. I told them my Warn was a couple years old and the tech said Warn doesn't offically state it, but if they can keep a Warn working they will even if its out of the warranty period.

Interestingly I got a much better response from Warn by calling on the phone than through email, both which I did several days ago. The phone call resulted in approval to send it back for warrantee service and the email that resulted in a suggestion to take it somewhere for diagnosis and repair plus a bill... I am going to send it in as suggested in the phone call.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts. If anyone spots a repair/service manual from WARN or a site that has pictures, let me know - always interested in seeing how things work and how to fix them.

ppro