Thread: WJ liftgate window, should it stay open?

Stock Is NOT An Option mdoffroad's Avatar

Icon313 WJ liftgate window, should it stay open?

Ok.... on the nice days.... if I wanted to drive with the windows down and teh rear gate window open, should the struts be strong enough to keep the window open while driving? They stay open now, but, when I drive, it slams shut..... I THINK they are the original units.. but, before I buy a set..... thanks for answering my dumbass question..
    Mττ
    Hangin' on JU for more than 13 years now!!

04 WJ Onyx Pearl - sporting bent tow hooks from a crook named FishPOET

http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

Banned

I don't see why not, my lift gate open flys open whenever I hit the button and takes some effort to get back down

Registered

it should def stay open while driving unless you hit a pothole or something. btw, driving with it open here is illegal.
    2004 wj limited v8 h.o.

Lol, yeah well, WJEEPER80, you guys also give the Amish the right of way lol
    Md is much better
    Mττ

Registered

It will stay open if working properly, but if you examine the glass it has a warning not to do it because it will funnel exaust into the car. I have done it, just don't stop at a light for too long.
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    4.7L H.O. V8 QD
    You just read this and you can never change that.

Registered

I'm not so sure that a stop light is when you'll get the most fumes... It's when you are driving down the road you should be worried about. When traveling down the road you create a low pressure area inside the car, the fumes get "pushed/sucked" into the cab. With all the windows open you should be ok, but there are no guarantees.

Why would you want to do this anyways? It looks quite silly, and does it even do much? Why not run the a/c? The a/c can't use much more money in fuel than buying new struts would cost.

Maybe you'll forget that it's open and back into a tree limb or something... That would be a cheap piece of glass to replace I'd bet.

Quote Originally Posted by wjeeper80 View Post
    it should def stay open while driving unless you hit a pothole or something. btw, driving with it open here is illegal.
    Hadn't heard that one, but not surprising. PA is ass backwards on their vehicle codes.

I have mine open when transporting long pieces of whatever and haven't been stopped.
    Tech Writeups and more...
    2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Sorry, old pics
    IRO 3" Springs | 3/4" KOR Sp | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos & Trackbar | Dual Stabs | Addco Rear SB & IRO Links | Clayton LA Front Half | IRO Adj Rear LCA & A-Arm | Spidertrax Spacers | Baer Decela Rotors w/EBC Green Pads | Akebono Calipers | 265/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac on JK 17's | K&N Drop in | Borla Cat-back | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg | Cobra CB & Wilson whip | OEM Tow Hooks F/R | 04 Lower Dash & Grille | Aftermarket Headlights | Deambered Tails | Husky Liners

Yes, it should stay open. As for hitting bumps, I never noticed it moving...or at least it doesn't move enough for me to see it in the rearview.

Sometimes, it's nice to get a little airflow instead of driving around with the windows up on a nice day. When it's humid though, all bets are off and I'll run the A/C.
    2003 WJ Laredo: 4.0 I-6, 242 Selec-Trac
    JK Wheels, Destination A/T tires
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks
    Mechanical Fan...because replacing relays got old.

Banned

I worked in MD for 3 years, PA drivers are much better then MD. Besides, horse and buggys don't have bumpers. And the amish will never cut you off while being on a cell phone trying to shave and read the newspaper all at the same time.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ///BHRpowered View Post
    I worked in MD for 3 years, PA drivers are much better then MD. Besides, horse and buggys don't have bumpers. And the amish will never cut you off while being on a cell phone trying to shave and read the newspaper all at the same time.
    X2, you deserve the right of way for having to ride behind a horses ass all day.
    2004 wj limited v8 h.o.

I read somewhere that leaving it open could cause the exhaust to draft into the cabin...

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by AMCJeep401 View Post
    I'm not so sure that a stop light is when you'll get the most fumes... It's when you are driving down the road you should be worried about. When traveling down the road you create a low pressure area inside the car, the fumes get "pushed/sucked" into the cab. With all the windows open you should be ok, but there are no guarantees.

Why would you want to do this anyways? It looks quite silly, and does it even do much? Why not run the a/c? The a/c can't use much more money in fuel than buying new struts would cost.

Maybe you'll forget that it's open and back into a tree limb or something... That would be a cheap piece of glass to replace I'd bet.
    Your right, I completely forgot about that.
    Also, there is a vortex behind the jeep.
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    4.7L H.O. V8 QD
    You just read this and you can never change that.

Yeah, well, regardless, not all of us use the AC all the time.. I am partial to a nice cool air flow, and hell, Totyta has the back window open on the forerunners...
    Mττ

I don't think you should leave it open when driving... just open all four windows that DO stay open when driving and be happy... or get a TJ.

I do it all of the time in my ZJ. It is nice to get the airflow when driving on a hot day, not to mention when you need something to stick out of the back. It won't hurt anything and the struts should keep it open when driving. If they are beginning to fall now, they will just get worse.
    MY DD-96 5.2L Limited, 3.5" with 35x12.5's.
    Hers-97 5.2L Platinum Limited from Canada (everything is in Km) 2.5" with 265/75r16.
    2002 Subaru Outback
    1985 Honda CB650SC
    1971 International Harvester Scout II on 33's.

MALLCRAWLIN

Dubbjay,glad you dont agree,so dont leave yours open, asked if it should stay open, not if you were too scared to do it

that is all
    Mττ

Quote Originally Posted by mdoffroad View Post
    Dubbjay,glad you dont agree,so dont leave yours open, asked if it should stay open, not if you were too scared to do it

that is all
    Mine does stay open while driving, but I choose to leave it closed.... If it rolled down into the liftgate like a 4runner it would be open all summer!

Mine stays open until I hit a bump. So... this past weekend, when I went out on some fire roads, I just decided to take mine OFF. It's really quite simple, and only takes about 5 minutes to do. There's just 2 torx screws at the hinge, your shocks, and the defroster connection (at least that's all there is on a ZJ.. yours might be different).
    '08 XK - with some stuff.

if you leave it open doesn't all of your interior lights go on, and the HUD says lift gate open.

Or is there a way to over ride that???
    1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited
    4.7L V8.

Quote Originally Posted by goldni0020 View Post
    if you leave it open doesn't all of your interior lights go on, and the HUD says lift gate open.

Or is there a way to over ride that???
    I'm not sure, that's a good question.
    2003 WJ Laredo: 4.0 I-6, 242 Selec-Trac
    JK Wheels, Destination A/T tires
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks
    Mechanical Fan...because replacing relays got old.