Thread: What are the best replacement fenders for a 78 CJ7?

Registered

Default What are the best replacement fenders for a 78 CJ7?

I'm doing a full frame off restoration of a 78 cj7 golden eagle and am ready to send it in for paint, however I need new fenders first. Who's had good success with any companies? Not sure where to even start looking...

The best are stock factory fenders, which now are only availble used.
    Everything else is offshore reproduction, and of much poorer quality.

I know that my friend who is restoring a Scrambler ended up finding a good set of used fenders for the same reason Rocky mentioned. I built my Jeep as a trail rig and used aftermarket fenders. They worked fine for what I am doing but are not as heavy gauge and do lack quality. All of the aftermarket steel reproduction fenders come from the same factories in the Philipines.

1970 CJ-6: 305 TPI V8, NV4500, Dana 18 w/Teralow 3:15 gears, Dana 44 rear w/Detroit, 4:88s and custom Moser Alloy shafts, Dana 30 front w/4:88s and Bid Daddy OR HD Tierod kit flipped on top of the knuckles, full cage tied in with Saginaw power steering conversion and power brake conversion. 35 inch Super Swamper SSRs on 17x9 Procomp Steel Wheels. Kilby On Board Air---
    2000 XJ Cherokee Sport - Traded the old girl in on a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 so I could tow the CJ to and from the trail. Only one Jeep in the family these days.

I had aftermarket fenders on my last CJ and I hated them, they fit poorly and we had to do a ton of grinding to make the grill fit in strait. With that said they are better than rusted fenders or one filled with bondo.
    1998 Jeep TJ Sport Chili Pepper Red and bone stock

Registered
    84 CJ7, 258, 4.0L head, MPFI, e-fans, Mustang Hydroboost, Dana 44/30, Dana 300, T176, 31 MT.
    My esnips folders:Jeep Jeep Transmissions

I got a set of japenese fenders from 4wd.com. They are very thin and after one year are already rusting a little. Plus they came with dents in them and had to be straitend and bumped out before they could be painted. But hey there only $150.00 a piece so I don't worry too much about crushing them. And I absolutly hate the looks of fiberglass fenders.
    78 CJ-7, aluminum tub

258 six .060 over, cam, holly 390, header, offy intake, exhaust cut out

AMC20 rear 3.73s, Moser 1pc, trussed, tubes welded, OX locker

D30 front 3.73 gears, Superior axles, Aussie Locker

Flaming river steering shaft, J20 box, HD mount, homade brace

2.5 inch BDS lift, .5 shackles, 1"BL

33x12.50 swamper ssr tires

T-18 trans, twin sticked d20 T-case

Sorry to hijack your post stonedworm. Your pose a good question that I hadn't even considered.

Quote Originally Posted by LilRocky View Post
    The best are stock factory fenders, which now are only availble used.
    Everything else is offshore reproduction, and of much poorer quality.
    To the "untrained eye" is there a noticeable difference between a used stock factory fender and a used offshore reproduction? What's the best way to distinguish one from another other when buying it used?
    '85 CJ-7
    AMC 258 I-6, T-4 / D-300, D30 / AMC20 w/ 3.31,

Status - completely disassembled

So what is a pair of factory used fenders in excellent shape with no dents or dings worth?
    1982 CJ-7, 4.2L, T5,D300, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, blah,blah,blah :whocares:

Forum Leader

The best way to distinguish offshore from factory is to pick it up. The offshore will feel cheap and tinny.

Price is whatever someone is willing to pay. I've sold good fenders as low as $50 each and as high as $150.

Registered

Depending on how serious you are about "restoring" the Jeep, you might want to consider a set of aftermarket or homemade tube fenders. A good set can be had for $300-400 retail, or if you or someone you know is handy with welder, you can get some for a lot less.

It's on my "long list" of things to do to the Jeep...

Good luck!!
    75 years and 350,000 miles of fun:

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by hencini View Post
    Depending on how serious you are about "restoring" the Jeep, you might want to consider a set of aftermarket or homemade tube fenders. A good set can be had for $300-400 retail, or if you or someone you know is handy with welder, you can get some for a lot less.

It's on my "long list" of things to do to the Jeep...

Good luck!!
    Im doing a full restoration.. to get collector plates and all. So looks like im hunting for a set of rust free factory fenders...

Quote Originally Posted by BruiserCJ View Post
    So what is a pair of factory used fenders in excellent shape with no dents or dings worth?
    I repeat
    1982 CJ-7, 4.2L, T5,D300, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, blah,blah,blah :whocares:

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by BruiserCJ View Post
    I repeat
    Take a look on Ebay. Seriously tho Snowtow said he has sold them from $50-$150. I would say that is a good range depending on condition. I would definatly pay $150 for a dent and rust free factory ones over aftermarket. Plus from like 82 or 83 through 86 they were galvinized. Not that it was able to save most of them but I have an 86 with a shot tub and nice fenders.
    1979 JEEP CJ7 "NIGHTMARE". Sold it.
    1985 Jeep CJ7. Done!
    1983 CJ7 Renegade. 4.6L stroker, NSG 370 6 speed, Dana 300, 2 1/2 lift, ARBs.
    1983 CJ8 Scrambler. Full restoration underway.

Registered

I bought a set of new fenders off e-bay over 5 years ago and I know they are not factory and probably made offshore but for the price I don't have any complaints--I did have to do a little reaming of the holes to get them to fit properly, no big deal. My jeep see's some major mud off road and hills no rock crawling and sits in the garage all winter and I don't have any problems with them. I don't have any rust yet they have held up good so far. The inner fender well is starting to come apart somewhat at the seem a bit--no big deal but if you are looking for a cheap upgrade in fenders I would not think twice in these again--If they get banged up and dented I'm not worried about it--like I said 5 yrs and still good to go--I just looked it up I paid $180.00 for 2 new fenders plus 45.00 for shipping from a guy named vernellem on e-bay not sure if he is still selling them or not--just checked he is still a member for 7 yrs plus but has not sold anything for awhile--

good luck
    80 cj5 4" lift 1.5 shackles 2.5 body lift on 35's boggers 4.10's 360 fiberglass tub
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/100_0840.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/DSC00886.jpg

My factory fenders were put on my CJ 28 years ago, and nothing is coming apart on them.