Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To Bypass Heater Core

Default How To Bypass Heater Core

I have a leak and need to bypass my heater core for a while.

Originally I thought of removing the hoses as they get to the firewall and somehow putting them together, however it's a very tight fit back there, it would be easier to get a small length of hose and loop the outlet right back into the inlet using the existing clamps and a new piece of hose, probably six inches or shorter.

Any suggestions for those who have bypassed their heater core?

Quote Originally Posted by Briandl View Post
    I have a leak and need to bypass my heater core for a while.

Originally I thought of removing the hoses as they get to the firewall and somehow putting them together, however it's a very tight fit back there, it would be easier to get a small length of hose and loop the outlet right back into the inlet using the existing clamps and a new piece of hose, probably six inches or shorter.

Any suggestions for those who have bypassed their heater core?

yes, simply connect the two heater hoses together with a fitting. find one that fits inside the heater hose, and connect the "in" tube from the core to the "out" tube, and use hose clamps.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillRadd View Post
    If are to spend 1000 bucks on a high mileage Jeep get an XJ ZJ's are junk
    :poofey:

Even Joe the plumber isn't really Joe, or a licensed plumber LOL

93 ZJ ltd built early June 1992 factory 4.0, AW4, 249
    160k, all original drivetrain minus a different rear D35, now with posi

mods
    2" rusty's BB with hydro shocks, crystal clear full front lamp kit, aftermarket stereo and all speakers, K&N panel filter
    Finally installed-2006 Golden Eagle Ravines and LT235/ 75/r15 BFG AT's

So you think I should do it near the firewall then?

I would do it near the water pump. All you need is about 12" of hose.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinLHC View Post
    I would do it near the water pump. All you need is about 12" of hose.
    that will work as well. and is probably cheaper. a foot of hose is pretty darn cheap

less length of hose will have less chance of hitting a hot manifold
    Quote Originally Posted by BillRadd View Post
    If are to spend 1000 bucks on a high mileage Jeep get an XJ ZJ's are junk
    :poofey:

Even Joe the plumber isn't really Joe, or a licensed plumber LOL

93 ZJ ltd built early June 1992 factory 4.0, AW4, 249
    160k, all original drivetrain minus a different rear D35, now with posi

mods
    2" rusty's BB with hydro shocks, crystal clear full front lamp kit, aftermarket stereo and all speakers, K&N panel filter
    Finally installed-2006 Golden Eagle Ravines and LT235/ 75/r15 BFG AT's

I'd just rather do it near the water pump because it's much easier to get to, but I don't want to cause any problems.

It's probably closer to six inches of hose, do you think I should do a foot so it doesn't go right in and out?

I used one foot and the hose is a bit kinked, but I don't really think it matters. 6" would probably kink pretty bad, but I'm not sure if yours is different than mine?

You need no additional hose. Just cut the two heater hoses and put a little copper tubing inside and two hose clamps on the outside.

Well if you don't have any extra 5/8 hose laying around than you probably don't have any copper tubing or extra hose clamps.

I would rather not cut the hoses that are there because I would like to reconnect them to the heatercore someday.

Yeah I'd rather not cut anything, either remove them from the firewall and connect them togehter or remove them from the water pump and loop them together, which is probably what I'll do with a U piece of hose..

can anyone give a little more guidance on this process? pics or any other insight?
    2k WJ 4.7 v8

ok since my blend door is effed up on the passenger side, and only blowing heat, i think im gonna bypass the heatercore. It is gonna be a major PITA to do it at the firewall(4.7 and i have big hands. lol). To do it at the waterpump seems easier, but it is close to the fan shroud and pullies. What should i do? i would leave it alone but im 250 miles from home and it will be a horrible ride in the daytime with one side blowing heat.
    2000 XJ Sport 4x4. Silver with white fender. Titan 4.6L Stroker, 31" MT'S, 3" RC lift, JCR bumper

1997 TJ Sport. 4.0, 5 Speed, 4" Pro Comp lift, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 35" Claws.

A few years ago I had to bypass the heater core on my XJ and ended up making this setup from some brass fittings. Just last year I had to use it again on the wife's '02. What I did was pull the hoses off the heater core and put this between them but it was not fun with the 4.7.

2002 WJ Limited, V8, Quadradrive, 245/65/17 Hankook ATM's
    2005 WK Limited, Hemi, all the other bells and whistles

"It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman

i think im just gonna get some hose, clamps, and zip ties and and try to do it at the front. i could barely get my hands bak to the firewall to get to the clamps.
    2000 XJ Sport 4x4. Silver with white fender. Titan 4.6L Stroker, 31" MT'S, 3" RC lift, JCR bumper

1997 TJ Sport. 4.0, 5 Speed, 4" Pro Comp lift, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 35" Claws.

Can you take some pics? I have to do this on my 99 4.7. I live in Hawaii so no need for a heater core; I'd much rather just bypass it than tear apart the dash to replace a $200 part that I'll never use.

I tried to get my hands back to the firewall as well and ended up giving up and just bypassing it at the front.

Default hot air

since heater core is such a PIA job,
    i was wondering why there isnt a hot air conversion for heater cores.
    seems like you could run metal tubing under or around the exhuast
    manifold and connect a heater lines to that and blower hot air
    into the heater core. the other end would be open but slightly
    restricted to keep the temps up.
    you would want to flush the core first if ileaking to prevent coolant fumes inside the car. but if done as prevention before a leak
    would not matter.
    dumb idea?
    i thought of posting it before but i figure theres something i'm missing.
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 220k miles
    1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 211k miles and buggy.

Certified Diagnostician

you better make sure you have ZERO exhaust leaks. seems like more trouble than it's worth.
    Wyotech Sacramento Alumni. ASE A6, A8, and L1 Certified. CA Smog License.
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 4x4, mostly stock, Flowmaster muffler dumps before axle.
    1987 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8
    Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfix View Post
    since heater core is such a PIA job,
    i was wondering why there isnt a hot air conversion for heater cores.
    seems like you could run metal tubing under or around the exhuast
    manifold and connect a heater lines to that and blower hot air
    into the heater core. the other end would be open but slightly
    restricted to keep the temps up.
    you would want to flush the core first if ileaking to prevent coolant fumes inside the car. but if done as prevention before a leak
    would not matter.
    dumb idea?
    i thought of posting it before but i figure theres something i'm missing.
    Not a dumb idea, it's a STUPID idea. Just bypass it until you have the money to fix it the proper way.
    98 Platinum 5.9 Limited, Flowmaster, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, reloc IAT sensor, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8mm wires, Mopar front tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, K&N FIPK

90 Mustang LX notch back:cobra intake,70mm TB and spacer,fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4 long tube headers, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, e-fan,underdrive pullys, Steeda short through shifter

thespeedfreaks.net

Quote Originally Posted by apstang50 View Post
    Not a dumb idea, it's a STUPID idea. Just bypass it until you have the money to fix it the proper way.
    Haha well a heat exchanger is how every air cooled VW and Porsche was heated until around 1998. The original VW beetle is made worldwide with heat exchangers. Heat exchangers give you instant and very hot heat. The problem is that when they leak you get fumes (not all that often) and any oil in the heat exchanger and you have to smell it until it burns off (often).

I wouldn't try and covert a car to this design as much as I wish there was a webasto option for all cars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast