Thread: Sagging Jeep

Default Sagging Jeep

A few months we had a sleet/freezing rain and it got pretty slippery out. Making a long story short, I ended up hitting a barriers wall and doing some damage to my Jeep. There was about $700 damage to the front PS fender, but now my Jeep is sagging on the passenger side. I looked underneath it, but couldn't reallly see anything except the my lower control arm brackets are bent. Does anyone know if is it possible that they could be causing the sag. The height difference from one side to the next is about 1.25". If the control arm bracket is the cause, how exactly do I repair it. I know a new will have to be welded on, but how do I go about finding someone to do that?

Registered

PS is the engine torque side of the jeep and will sag before the DS. Swap your springs L <--> R.
    98TJ

93YJ on Tons (build in progress)

I want to install a lift kit. Will this solve my problem?

The CAs need to be fixed. A lot of stress is on them, and they need to be strong. Find a local mechanic or even better....a 4wd shop to fix them up for you. Go with a heavy duty mount aswell. As far as your sag..like said above, its because of how the jeeps suspesnsion is. They all sag in the rear right
    86 Toyota EXT Cab.
    7 inches of lift
    Worked Buick V6
    36s

/\ /\ huh? :webb:

2004 Jeep Wrangler X

Current MODs
    - 4.0L
    - 5spd
    - 4.5" BDS Ultimate
    - 3/4" Coil Spacers
    - AA SYE
    - Tom Woods Rear Drive Shaft
    - 15x8 Steelies 3.25" BS
    - 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZs
    - Banks Cat Back
    - Herculined Tub
    - Flush LED Tails

Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Jeep View Post
    I want to install a lift kit. Will this solve my problem?
    Best thing you can do is post up some pics so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Greg

2004 Jeep Wrangler X

Current MODs
    - 4.0L
    - 5spd
    - 4.5" BDS Ultimate
    - 3/4" Coil Spacers
    - AA SYE
    - 15x8 Steelies 3.25" BS
    - Banks Cat Back
    - Herculined Tub
    - Flush LED Tails

CA is short for control arm. he said his control arm mount is bent....and asked how to fix it. reread it.
    86 Toyota EXT Cab.
    7 inches of lift
    Worked Buick V6
    36s

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma750 View Post
    As far as your sag..like said above, its because of how the jeeps suspesnsion is. They all sag in the rear right
    No... if YOU read what TheGriz said or understood that the passenger side of the jeep is the torque side (engine torque that is), Jeeps don't sag only in the right rear because of how a Jeeps suspension is...

2004 Jeep Wrangler X

Current MODs
    - 4.0L
    - 5spd
    - 4.5" BDS Ultimate
    - 3/4" Coil Spacers
    - AA SYE
    - 15x8 Steelies 3.25" BS
    - Banks Cat Back
    - Herculined Tub
    - Flush LED Tails

Registered

Yes, a lift kit will solve your problems, as long as the lift contains new springs.

Most of us have a bit of bending in our control arm brackets from bashing them on the rocks. The bottom edges will get bent up pretty good. I wouldn't worry about them if it is just a bit of bending on the bottom edges. If the mounts are bent further up near the through-bolts or up near where they are welded to the frame or axle, I would replace them.

Is this the axle mount or frame mount?

When mine finally looked like hamburger, I decided to replace them and add a JKS skid to them. Here is what I chose to replace mine with: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=tj_skid

Installation consisted of cutting off the old brackets, grinding smooth, and welding up the new ones. If you don't have a welder you can call any 4x4 shop. I would avoid the dealer.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can suggest a good shop near you.
    98TJ

Is there any chance you bet the frame? The Frame has crumble zones in places to make it give in a accident to help absorb energy. It don't take much to bend a frame.. Have it checked out.. If it's ok go on and try and level you ride out with springs or whatever way you want. George
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

Your right....because Jeep doesnt usse a stiffer SPRING on the right rear. That causes the suspension to sag from torque
    86 Toyota EXT Cab.
    7 inches of lift
    Worked Buick V6
    36s

I never really examined the CA frame mount, but the axle mount is bent pretty bad. I guess there's chance the frame could be bent, but it didn't seem to me that I hit it that hard. I didn't notice any sag until after the accident. Where exactly could I check to see if the frame is bent, and if is, what can I expect inregards to fixing it? I'm located in Chicago, area code 60201. Thanks for all your input. I'm new to this whole thing (as I'm sure you all realize) and this forum is truly amazing. I'll try to get some pics to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma750 View Post
    Your right....because Jeep doesnt usse a stiffer SPRING on the right rear. That causes the suspension to sag from torque
    No one in their right mind would do such a thing.

2004 Jeep Wrangler X

Current MODs
    - 4.0L
    - 5spd
    - 4.5" BDS Ultimate
    - 3/4" Coil Spacers
    - AA SYE
    - 15x8 Steelies 3.25" BS
    - Banks Cat Back
    - Herculined Tub
    - Flush LED Tails

There are a lot better ways to measure the frame but where i would start is on level ground like paved or better still a concrete garage floor . I would measure just behind the front bumper to the bottom or top of the frame *Both sides* The should measure the same.. Next you could measure from the ground at the center of the front wheel axle to the bottom of the fender flare or better still run a straight edge on top of the front fender and measure to that.. it should be close to the same on both sides and will tell you how much your front clip may be off do to bad body work.. You should also have a helper and measure the frame at the same points cross wise front to back on each side and it should measure the same.. Maybe bad body work just makes it look sagged on that side.. If it's any consolation my front clip was off from the factory 1/2" side to side, it can be adjusted some if need be .. But the fame should be right on.. Hope this helps and good luck..George
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

Maybe taking the jeep to a body shop and have them toss the Tj on a Frame rack?

I checked out the frame. It measures the same from corner to corner. I took a measurement from the floor of my garage to the bottom of the frame, and the sagging side is off by about 1/4". I took a picture of the back of my jeep to show the sag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think ANDYFEE22 is right the only way to know for sure is to take it to a body shop that has a frame rack! But looking at your photo it looks to me from the back that everything looks square or parallel to other parts like the bumper to the body and the gas tank skid to the bumper and body.. Have a look at all your body to frame mounts and see if they look to be in good shape. Also can you take a little better shot looking at the front of the jeep? From the back it does look to be leaning to the right a lot more then 1/4" to me.. But if it's only off 1/4" that's not to bad at all for a Jeep.. I bet there is something going on with it caused by your accident . If I lived close to you I would be more then happy to have a look at it but maybe someone reading this post in your area can take the time to have a look at it for you.. How about it guy's?

I checked out the frame. It measures the same from corner to corner. I took a measurement from the floor of my garage to the bottom of the frame, and the sagging side is off by about 1/4". I took a picture of the back of my jeep to show the sag.

I think ANDYFEE22 is right the only way to know for sure is to take it to a body shop that has a frame rack! But looking at your photo it looks to me from the back that everything looks square or parallel to other parts like the bumper to the body and the gas tank skid to the bumper and body.. Have a look at all your body to frame mounts and see if they look to be in good shape. Also can you take a little better shot looking at the front of the jeep? From the back it does look to be leaning to the right a lot more then 1/4" to me.. But if it's only off 1/4" that's not to bad at all for a Jeep.. I bet there is something going on with it caused by your accident . If I lived close to you I would be more then happy to have a look at it but maybe someone reading this post in your area can take the time to have a look at it for you.. How about it guy's?

Registered

You can try posting up on Great Lakes Jeep Thing for recommendations on a good shop. Most of them live in the Chicago area.

I still think it is your springs sagged out though.
    98TJ

Does anyone know of any good shops in Connecticut??