Thread: Transmission NOT engaging in drive/reverse

Registered

Post Transmission NOT engaging in drive/reverse

this is what happened... drove the car around and 30 minutes into the trip as i applied on the gas in drive; transmission sounded like it wasn't engaging. SOMETIMES it would catch but not 100%

what could be the problem?

i've neglected to change the auto transmission fluid after a trip from vancouver to reno to los angeles back to vancouver 2 months ago which i suspect is the culprit to my problem..
    popped the hood and looked at the tranny fluid dipstick and it's full but with a brown colour to it, i take it that the fluid is "burnt".

where in vancouver, bc can i get this checked out at...

right now my truck is sitting at coq chrylser where it had to be towed thinking that i still had extended warranty (12mths or 20,000) i'm at 24,000; but i don't

*sigh*

Stock 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited
    4L - 6cylinder w/air con
    156,432 kms
    Vancouver, BC Canada

[This message has been edited by R0adie94ZJ (edited 08-13-2001).]
    Stock 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited
    4L - 6cylinder w/air con
    210,432 kms
    new bosch starter, new battery, new coil
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Registered

Thumbs up

If the transmission fluid is low or if it is “worn out” you can expect all kinds of strange behavior of your tranny. Hopefully your Jeep will be all right if you have your tranny flushed and have the filter changed.

I once run with quite brown fluid in my zj (when I bought it the fluid level was to low) and I then had quite a strange engaging. It gradually went away when I change fluid and today it works ok. So, do not start with a tranny rebuild, get it flushed and se what happens.

You know how to check the fluid level? (I did not 2 years ago). Warm the transmission up, let the engine idle and put the transmission in neutral – then check the fluid.

Good luck!

------------------
    Gert Persson
    94 ZJ 4.0, stock
    Rough idle, "clunking" transmisson and some valve train rattle.
    Gert Persson
    94 ZJ 4.0, stock
    Rough idle, "clunking" transmisson and some valve train rattle.