Thread: Chassis lubrication points on a WK?

Registered

Default Chassis lubrication points on a WK?

Are there any lubrication points (grease zirks) on the WK? The wkjeeps.com site claims there are no grease fittings on the 2005+ WK, but the maintenance schedule in my owner's manual shows an entry for lubricating the 'upper ball knuckle joint' every 6000 miles. I've been having some strange suspension clunks while driving over small, sharp bumps (like a depressed manhole cover) and they are reminiscent of ball joint issues I've seen on other vehicles. I thought it would be prudent to lube them, but I can't find a grease zirk anywhere under there. Is there some other way to lube these suspension components?

Thanks,
    Rob
    2005 WK Limited in Midnight Blue, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4 Off-road, towing, 25K package, plus a few more options

2001 Lexus IS300, loaded, Spectra Blue Mica

Honda VTX 1800C cruiser - the most fun of the three

Icon317

Jeep kinda screwed us on the WK. All the links with zerk fittings are factory sealed so we're all pretty much screwed into goin to the stealership for routine maintenance when it comes to chassis lubrication. You'll also notice that the clunking comes relatively from the rear. The shocks in the back are very weak. A common fix for this is to swap in the rear shocks from the XK Commander. If you think about it, it makes sense. The Commander is quite a bit heavier than the WK, therefore it needs stiffer shocks with a greater compression/travel rate(please, anyone chime in to correct me where I'm wrong.) The WK and XK chassis is very similar is not identical I believe. Just search for a thread with Clunking Shocks or something similar. Sorry, if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

Must have been a mistake in printing the manual or carried over the description from an older manual because all of the grease fittings are sealed.
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI
    Modifications: Maganaflow S/S Muffler & Catback system, K&N Air Filter, Airaid MIT, Chrome Fuel Fill Door, SRT-8 Pedals, Overland Grill, Overland Console, PIAA Headlights, 9005 Silverstar Ultra Fogs
    1997 Wrangler Sahara
    Modifications: 31" BFG ATs, Air Intake, Hella Headlights, Silverstar Fogs
    1989 Wrangler Sahara
    Sold: 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited, 2001 Cherokee Sport, 1987 Wrangler Laredo

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by CEPCNC View Post
    Jeep kinda screwed us on the WK. All the links with zerk fittings are factory sealed so we're all pretty much screwed into goin to the stealership for routine maintenance when it comes to chassis lubrication.
    If there are no grease zirks then what is it the dealer could do differently to lube the chassis? Doesn't this just mean there is nothing 'maintainable' under there?

Rob
    2005 WK Limited in Midnight Blue, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4 Off-road, towing, 25K package, plus a few more options

2001 Lexus IS300, loaded, Spectra Blue Mica

Honda VTX 1800C cruiser - the most fun of the three

Icon317

Quote Originally Posted by rbell View Post
    If there are no grease zirks then what is it the dealer could do differently to lube the chassis? Doesn't this just mean there is nothing 'maintainable' under there?

Rob
    Well, I'm sure the stealership would say they are maintenance free untio something major goes wrong. I'm also sure the seal can be broken somehow. Where there's a will there's a way.

I guess its called maintenance free until something breaks, then it will be more expensive to replace.
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI
    Modifications: Maganaflow S/S Muffler & Catback system, K&N Air Filter, Airaid MIT, Chrome Fuel Fill Door, SRT-8 Pedals, Overland Grill, Overland Console, PIAA Headlights, 9005 Silverstar Ultra Fogs
    1997 Wrangler Sahara
    Modifications: 31" BFG ATs, Air Intake, Hella Headlights, Silverstar Fogs
    1989 Wrangler Sahara
    Sold: 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited, 2001 Cherokee Sport, 1987 Wrangler Laredo

Icon317

I spent a better part of 4 hours under my WK yesterday, and about 2 hours under there today checking out everything. Winter was rough on the beast but nothing critical. I did notice a bunch of Grade 5 bolts, washers, and nuts beginning to rust/corrode though. I would think that Grade 5 is the bare minimum to use on 4X4 rigs. I've already replaced a few of them with Grade 8 everything. Thus the 6 hours of tooling the last couple of days. I also went through and re-torqued a lot of the aftermarket products i've added. It's a good idea to do that every now and then I guess as I found some hardware looser than to be expected. Also, my 4XGuard front plate had 2 bolts (on the two brackets) pull out. I drilled the holes out a size bigger and added longer/thicker bolts. Hope it doesnt happen again.