Thread: Windshield wipers now don't work at all, fuse is good.

Registered

Default Windshield wipers now don't work at all, fuse is good.

Snowed on Sunday. I was halfway into a 30 mile trip when the wipers just stopped working. I had to drive in the snow for about 15 miles with no wipers.
    Spray nozzles work. Wipers do not and the 5.3amp fuse under the dash is good.
    I think I hear a very faint click from the dash when I turn them on but that's it. Please help because I cannot drive with no wipers. I have no other vehicle.
    This is a 94 YJ 4-banger

Registered

The click might be the circuit breaker opening. You're going to have to fold down your windshield to get access to your wiper motor. Unplug it and see if the same thing happens. If you get no click, check voltage at the low input and the high input. If the volts are good, you have a bad motor. If you get the same click when you unplug the motor, you have a short up the circuit somewhere.

Default Wiper Motor Replacement

however this may sound, am i to understand correctly that if i need to replace my wiper motor, i have to undo the front windshiled and lower it down to get access to it, once its down, is it easy to find the wiper motor, or is there more work involved....what a silly set up...i hope this works, is it a pain to disconnect the windshiled? what do i have to watch out or worry about in this process? any tips folks? mine stopped working and the water still sprays up, but the wipers don't move...the fuse seems fine too...so it must be the motor huh?
    1990 Wrangler YJ (White) - 4 Banger.
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Infinity 5.25s (Centrapod)
    Alpine 9x6 (Thor Sound Wedges)
    Pioneer Amp

Registered

Hi,
    Am I to assume that you had no hints of a problem before they quit working?

If the fuse is OK, there is no short.

There is no circuit breaker for the wipers. People should check their information before giving advice.

To get to the motor, either to repair it or replace it, you will have to lower the wind shield.

The washer has nothing in common with the wipers other than the mechanical linkage in the steering column to switch the wipers on when you squirt the windshield. There could be problem with the switch but I doubt it.

Once you get the motor out you can check for power to the motor. You may not be getting power to the motor. If you have power, there may be a mechanical problem with the motor. You may be able to fix it. I fixed mine 20K miles ago and it is still working fine.

If you plan on working on your Jeep you should invest in a Factory Service Manual. Get the real deal, not the third party manuals. There you will find the schematics you need to figure out the wiper wiring.

Sparky
    Red '89 Soft Top YJ, 258 Howell Fuel Injected (love it), Vanco Hydroboost hydraulic brake boost system (works great), Safari Snorkle, AX15, D30 and D35 both ARB locked, Tom Wood's CV & SYE, Teralow + 2 low, Tomkin rock sliders, Pro Comp 31X10.5 Mud Terains on 31X8.5 steel wheels, Garvin top and tailgate racks, Tuffy glovebox, center console, rear trunk, Hella Compact 4000 spots and fogs, Pair of Hella rear work lights, Warn 7" fllairs, Warn front bumper, Custom Rear bumper, Warn 8274 winch, BestTop reclining seats, Wrangler NW Power dual battery system, Dual Optima Yellow Top batteries, Mean Green 140A alternator, Mean Geen heavy duty starter, 3 core radiator, Lots of skid plates. Cobra CB, There's more but of less importance.

2005 TJ Trail rig.... jeepsr4me's Avatar

I just dropped my windshield and pulled the wiper motor. DO NOT remove the nut holding the little arm on the wiper motor. There is a C clip you remove and then pop the arm off there. Also in the middle of the windshield there is a access port to remove the arm extension. It just pops up off a ball joint, I took a pair of channel locks and wedged it up.
    To get the windshield down you will need a 40 torx bit.

ok, the windshield is down, my motor is exposed...but how do i disconnect it wire-wise....the main wire leads under the frame and up under the dash, is that where i look to disconnect?
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Pioneer Amp

2005 TJ Trail rig.... jeepsr4me's Avatar

Yeap. Follow it back.

jeepsr4me is right. DO NOT remove the nut. I did and it was a pain. After lining it back up the best I could I tighten it down. I thought it was good but after about a month the nut loosened and the splines wore off. I was going to just buy another motor but at $100 plus I decided to give it one other try. I lined it up again after looking at some online pictures of the motor and then welded the post where the nut was located. Has worked for over 8 months now without a problem. But it is much easier to read the directions first and not remove the nut!
    1994 Wrangler
    2.5L, 2.5 ome lift, 31 Goodyear Kevlar MT

1994 Cherokee
    4.0L Stock
    SOLD $300

so my wipers stopped working, then i removed all my torqs and lowered the hood, then voila, they started working again, so before you do too much boys, take it apart then try it again, weirdo jeeps.
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Pioneer Amp

you know what it is? it may be due to the contacts in the column near the base or up by the steering wheel. i had the same problem with the windshield washer motor not working and the wiper motor stopping half way (leaving the wipers in the middle) or sometimes not at all. i looked at the contacts/connections and found corrosion. i cleaned them up and they work well again. too bad i did this after buying a new wiper motor.

That's removable now too! Buckshot500's Avatar

Two things I'd like to add to this thread for future reference.

The windshield hinges are prone to being seized with rust. Mine bent a little before I realized it & the glass shattered. PB fabulous blaster helps a lot here.

Soak them down & gently wiggle the hinges until they start to move.

The other thing is the wiper motor wiring harness has a connector behind the dash. My windshield now has removable hinge pins & I disconnect the wires at this connector. It's possible this connector could become loose or corroded.
    My on-board welder build;
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=500202

www.coastalcarolinaoffroad.com
    I have more Redneck modifications than you!!!

lllllll Member of the "American Redneck Society of Engineers" (A.R.S.E.)