64. You may not vote on this poll
  • ECTED

25 39.06%
  • E-Locker

39 60.94%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ected VS E-locker

Default Ected VS E-locker

I know the locker debate has been dished out more than once . . . Not interested in Detroit or ARB debates.
    I got these two bouncing in my head though, I wanna order one up for the 8.8.
    $200 price difference, how much of a compromise is the ECTED & is it worth the price ? I like the Idea of the LSD out back, but the ECTED isnt a real locker. Has anyone regretted their ected, felt as though it failed them on the trail ?
    Anyone any had any problems with their E-locker, my search came up with nothing but happy customers. Seems like a bulletproof unit, nothing not to like. Should I fork out the dough ?
    Currently in a 4 banger, will be a V8 soon enough.
    P.A.O
    Winchline.com
    Crawlmag.com
    Those Guys Rods & Custom

Quote Originally Posted by stjjames View Post
    , but the ECTED isnt a real locker.
    You answered your own question.
    I voted with the E-locker, the REAL locker of the two.
    '11 JKU...stock for now
    '08 JK X, 6-speed, OEM rear locker and swaybar disconnect.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...71&postcount=9

I think that will make the decision easy.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

e-locker here...... didn't like a ls in icy conditions i see often..... no problems except installer error (mine) when the connection at the rear diff came undone... just pulled connection hard wired/soldered connection and never had an issue since.
    who keeps changing my sig.........

Registered

oh yea it's in an 8.8 also in a tj...
    who keeps changing my sig.........

Registered

Icon310

I have one in the 8.8 that in mt TJ. LOVE the ECTED. works just as I had hoped. NEVER had any problems with its workings or its ablity to supply me with traction.

I am having one installed in the D44 of my MJ as we speak.

The LS on the road is a SUPER plus if your still driving it on the road.

Even though I like it so much, if it where me and This purchase was for a offroad only rig, I would look at a Detroit.

When I bought it for my TJ it was a DD and now its a trail only rig. I am not restrected by any trail I have run with the ECTED.\

CW

I Voted E locker, Ive seen tooo many bad things with the Ected ie, Not locking, not unlocking. Just being a total pita in general.

The answer really depends on the wheeling you do. If rockcrawling is your thing, get the Elocker. I have one of these in the rear of my rig and it has worked well. I have found though that the one I have can be slow to disengage once in a while.

Where the Ected shines is wheeling on trails that are greasy and offer no traction. You can lock the Ected while moving without any worry (like if you drop into a mud hole and forgot to hit the button). I have one of these in the front and it works fine. It is quiet, simple to install and the construction is pretty robust (even for a D30).
    Paved Roads:
    Another fine example of needless government spending.

I live in Washington, & try to play in the rocks though my open rear keeps me out of them :shush:
    This is a DD rig, otherwise I would just run the full spool I have :hatprop:
    P.A.O
    Winchline.com
    Crawlmag.com
    Those Guys Rods & Custom

I love forum people. They make statements of fact with no knowledge what so ever. The ected is a locker and if you see a tire slip they replace the system. Rather than take it from some ass monkey making up numbers call Auburn and they will give it to you straight.
    I swear people log on here because they have an abnormal fear of the telephone.
    LGMmodel For the architects

I have the ECTED and I have never had it not lock or unluck. It has never slipped even on the trails out in Johnson Valley. If you are interested in one, I have on for sale $380.00 + shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 HO View Post
    I have the ECTED and I have never had it not lock or unluck. It has never slipped even on the trails out in Johnson Valley. If you are interested in one, I have on for sale $380.00 + shipping.

Your selling one, for an 8.8, for $380 ? If so assuming you've been happy with it, why are you parting ways ?
    P.A.O
    Winchline.com
    Crawlmag.com
    Those Guys Rods & Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 05willys View Post
    I love forum people. They make statements of fact with no knowledge what so ever. The ected is a locker and if you see a tire slip they replace the system.
    The ECTED is covered by a 1 year warranty and then Auburn's D-REX program for 4 years per Rockcrawler.com. I couldn't find anything on Auburn's website regarding warranty terms. When those friction clutches wear out, you can get the differential rebuilt at a cost of $100 under D-REX. This includes a new carrier which means you'll need a gear setup at roughly $250.
    http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/

Rather than take it from some ass monkey making up numbers call Auburn and they will give it to you straight.
    Check out the link in that post where the numbers were being "made up". They are right from Auburn's ECTED literature.

I am going with a trail rig only and a full spool. It has worked great and has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner View Post
    The ECTED is covered by a 1 year warranty and then Auburn's D-REX program for 4 years per Rockcrawler.com. I couldn't find anything on Auburn's website regarding warranty terms. When those friction clutches wear out, you can get the differential rebuilt at a cost of $100 under D-REX. This includes a new carrier which means you'll need a gear setup at roughly $250.
    http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/

Check out the link in that post where the numbers were being "made up". They are right from Auburn's ECTED literature.

The numbers posted are for the electronically controlled LS. The electricity produces for that is tied to the throttle position sensor and is a varialble transfer. Under those circumstances they are made to slip. When you wire it as a locker with an on off switch you get:
    100% torque transfer.
    On the same literature
    LGMmodel For the architects

I love forum people. They make statements of fact with no knowledge what so ever. The ected is a locker and if you see a tire slip they replace the system. Rather than take it from some ass monkey making up numbers call Auburn and they will give it to you straight.
    Ummm...I HAVE called them and talked to Auburn's tech support. They TOLD me that with rockcrawling and harder trails the ECTED WOULD slip some.
    It's NOT a locker if it uses clutches to do the torque transfer. That's pretty simple.
    '11 JKU...stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Ummm...I HAVE called them and talked to Auburn's tech support. They TOLD me that with rockcrawling and harder trails the ECTED WOULD slip some.
    It's NOT a locker if it uses clutches to do the torque transfer. That's pretty simple.

I for one have never had it slip with 35" tires out in Johnson Valley. It has always worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    So do auto trasmissions - depends on clutch capacity. So does manual trans clutch. They can both "lock" (don't slip) if sized right. Not saying it is, just saying clutches CAN transfer torque.

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 HO View Post
    I for one have never had it slip with 35" tires out in Johnson Valley. It has always worked great for me.
    Interesting...why are you getting rid of it?
    '11 JKU...stock for now

The numbers posted are for the electronically controlled LS. The electricity produces for that is tied to the throttle position sensor and is a varialble transfer. Under those circumstances they are made to slip. When you wire it as a locker with an on off switch you get:
    100% torque transfer.
    On the same literature
    The entire differential is a variable ratio limited slip governed by the eletrical current applied to the magnetic coil. It is not a full locker and never will be one. You could overpower the frictional strength of the clutches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast