Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help, WJ Tire Size!

Icon313 Need Help, WJ Tire Size!

Hi! Im about to put on the suspension lift kit i got from Rusty's Offroad, its a 2.5" lift, includes coils and shocks, no spacers..

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=wj_kits

I also got 1.5" wheel spacers, which arent on yet..

Now all i have left is to get tires... I have 16 x 7 Silverblade #1 factory rims.. I wanna leave the rims, but put bigger tires on them.. What size should I go with?.. I want max size but no rubbing at all..

Ive seen few setups... 265/70/16... 245/75/16... 255/70/16 and so on...... Which one would you recommend and how would the ride differ?.. I live in central michigan, so i want to get some tires that would do good on the snow (if we get some this year), and also on dry/wet road... something not too crazy expensive, im a full time student, and i have a budget of a.. full time student hah...

soooo any ideas?... all the feedback will be greatly appresciated..

thanks

oh., and also..... do i need a steering stabilizer, or something like that for my car?.. ive heard if u go higher than 2" lift u need it?.. or is it just a rumor?.... im new to this whole offroading thing..
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo; 4.7 V8; Modded.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2531793

Icon313

What a crappy lift kit, even in their picture that Jeep is pretty unlevel, and only mention the coils are 12 pound heavier than stock, what stock ?? maybe 845, 900, 960, 1000, 820, 1020 1085 plus 12 pounds ?
    Call Kolak and get a leveling kit and a JKS adj. track bar first, and for rubbing issues if you have a 1.5" wheel spacer will have to trim the front bumper a little. 255 is the max that rim support, but I see some people acomodate 265's on it. Maybe this last one 265 70 16 is the best for you on a stock rim BFGoodrich AT KO's are a good tires, cuz is what I have
    WJ Ltd. 99' QD / 4" IRO springs / UC conv.(skids,hooks and gas tank skid) / wheel spacers 1.25" / Overland rockrails black / K&N FIPK / HO intake manifold w/ BBK throttle body / PML tranny pan and Dana 30 diff cover / superchips / 200 amp altern. / black halo headlight w/kolak wiring / PIAA super plasma lights / white cluster / JKS susp. from Kevin's (Adj. Track Bar, upper,lower and quick discos) Tera end links rear / Bilstein 5150 shocks / Addco front&rear / A-Arm spacer Kolak / Splitfire triple platinum spark plugs / Transgo performance shift kit / performance exhaust (520cfm): random tech. cat; dynomax super turbo 17769 and Kolak tailpipe / Tire Pressure Monitoring System upgrade / IAT sensor relocated / 265 75 16 Goodyear MTR's

Get either 245/75R16's or 265/70R16's...whichever you get a better deal on, with the 1.5" wheel spacers you shouldn't rub at all with the 265's, you might rub when you flex on the front bumper a little, but very little, if you dont want any rubbing at all the 245/75R16's are the way to go.

You dont need a trackbar for that lift, and I wouldn't bother leveling it out, it retains the factory rake...

If you get bumpsteer or deathwobble, then replace the steering stabilizer, but I think you will probably be fine. (Hit a bump and the wheel just about gets yanked out of your hand)
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2
    sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

I've never heard anything good about Rusty's, but I have no experience with them.

With a 2.5" setup you shouldn't have a problem fitting a 265 70 16 if you use a 1.5" wheel spacer, but I don't think you'll want to go any bigger than that. Even with that size, you *might* have to trim a tiny bit. But most likely you'll be fine.

| Kevin's Offroad 2.5" BB | Rubicon Express Shocks | Overland RockRails | Westin Bull Bar |
    | 255/65/17 Firestone Destinations | 1.25" Wheel Spacers | 35% Front Tint |
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

< Click for Pics > *pics are from when I had 32" Grabbers

Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    I've never heard anything good about Rusty's, but I have no experience with them.

With a 2.5" setup you shouldn't have a problem fitting a 265 70 16 if you use a 1.5" wheel spacer, but I don't think you'll want to go any bigger than that. Even with that size, you *might* have to trim a tiny bit. But most likely you'll be fine.
    well how bad could it be..? i figured id rather have shocks and coils, than shocks and spacers, no..?.... If i went with kevin's, that would be 310$ for the lift with rubicon shocks... and then if i wanted to replace the spacers, id have to pay another 155$ for coils, which are not 2.5" but 2.0".... sooo less lift for 150 more bucks?..........

unless you guys say Rusty's IS a total crap and Kevin's is the shizznet, i dont see why I should pick Kevins.....

But still, let me know... im sure you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do about everything..

Thanks

I'd do some searching on the kit/parts you're going to order and see what others say about it that have had it for at least a year. I thought I recall reading the springs sag, etc...

My ride with the BB is great. It's not stiff, but I also have little to no body roll. If feels better than stock on the highway and around corners. Using the wheel spacers widens that stance, as to the wider tires, and makes it feel stable.

I think for some applications coils are preferred method of lifting over the budget boosters. But, I've never read anything negative about using BB's on the WJ. Unless you're going for hardcore offroading applications, they should be fine.

| Kevin's Offroad 2.5" BB | Rubicon Express Shocks | Overland RockRails | Westin Bull Bar |
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Icon313

Because I wanted the option to "wheel" my 99 JGC without having to worry about trimming, I went with 245/75R16s MTRs.

Look at what happens in this article with 265/75R16s BFG MTs under full flex without trimming:
    http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...cherokee_lift/

If you aren't going to wheel it or light wheelin', and you want the MT tire look, I'd get 265/75R16s. I was going to get this size in Maxxis Big horns cause they are cheap, look good, and others claim they run these tires with 3 inches of lift or more with little or no rubbing.

If you don't care about the MT tire look and aren't wheelin' much, I'd get 265/70R16 AT tires. I could not find any good MT tires in that size.

Here's mine:
    R.I.P --> 99 WJ Limited Red/Taupe, 4.7 V8, factory UC, Quadradrive with 247->242HD TC Swap, Dana 30/44a 3.73s, Ebay intake with K&N, 4" IRO Springs, IRO front LAs, JKS BPEs, IRO A-arm spacer, Rubicon Express shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, 4" Teraflex rear links, JKS Adj Track Bar, 265/70R17 Bighorns on JK Moabs, 1.25" spacers, Kevin's LP2 Sliders, Kevin's bump stop extensions, Tom Woods double cardan front DS.

Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    I'd do some searching on the kit/parts you're going to order and see what others say about it that have had it for at least a year. I thought I recall reading the springs sag, etc...

My ride with the BB is great. It's not stiff, but I also have little to no body roll. If feels better than stock on the highway and around corners. Using the wheel spacers widens that stance, as to the wider tires, and makes it feel stable.

I think for some applications coils are preferred method of lifting over the budget boosters. But, I've never read anything negative about using BB's on the WJ. Unless you're going for hardcore offroading applications, they should be fine.
    what shocks did you go with?.. and u only got the BB kit and the shocks right?.. no steering stabilizers, trackbars, swaybars, etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by ssiders View Post
    Because I wanted the option to "wheel" my 99 JGC without having to worry about trimming, I went with 245/75R16s MTRs.

Look at what happens in this article with 265/75R16s BFG MTs under full flex without trimming:
    http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...cherokee_lift/

If you aren't going to wheel it or light wheelin', and you want the MT tire look, I'd get 265/75R16s. I was going to get this size in Maxxis Big horns cause they are cheap, look good, and others claim they run these tires with 3 inches of lift or more with little or no rubbing.

If you don't care about the MT tire look and aren't wheelin' much, I'd get 265/70R16 AT tires. I could not find any good MT tires in that size.

Here's mine:

Good article...when ever I say you shouldn't run 265/75R16's on BB's on this forum I feel like i'm going to get attacked by a angry crowd with pitch forks...
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2
    sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

it is a good article, but im not doing any serious offroading/flexing in my jeep... its my only ride and im gonna have it for quite a while.. im talking 150,000 miles+... so im pampering it as much as I can.. I think I should be fine with 265's that way.. I just wish I had 17" wheels, freedom edition ones..... ahhhh..

Registered

ssiders, nice looking rig! Perfect!

245's are perfect for 2.5" or 2" BB....I went with the 265/70/17 and they are a tad too big. Now I'm gonna have to get a 3" kit. Wanted to keep it simple w/ a big tire..but it didn't work out that way. I tend to go overboard...but my XJ should be limited to that and not my WJ.

I have the 1.25" wheel spacers, major plus.

Good luck,

B

Registered

EUROaleksey = Aleksey Vayner?

http://www.veoh.com/videos/e1336748NgyMqyG

Skip the spacers, put the 245s on. Especially if you want good snow traction, there's no sense trying to fit a really wide tire in there.

Quote Originally Posted by EUROaleksey View Post
    what shocks did you go with?.. and u only got the BB kit and the shocks right?.. no steering stabilizers, trackbars, swaybars, etc..?
    I have the Rubicon Express twin tube shocks. I did not need a steering stabilizer, trackbars, swaybars, or anything else. My Jeep drives great and handles better than it did in stock form. I also took it offroad with my current setup, in mud and some rocky trails in the mountains (but I wan't climbing giant rocks or anything crazy). It performed great, and I was happy with my tires (especially considering the price).

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Icon313

I have a 3.25" lift and I doubt very much somebody can ride at high speed and off-road with stock components. Yep, w/off center axles at 80mph in the expressway, BS ride. Of course if you off road at 5 mph you may not feel nothing, do a cross country ride and you'll see.
    Apart, the original components weren't designed for that lift.
    Also original "rake" when new is like 1/2", only when sag is like 3/4" to 1 1/2"
    WJ Ltd. 99' QD / 4" IRO springs / UC conv.(skids,hooks and gas tank skid) / wheel spacers 1.25" / Overland rockrails black / K&N FIPK / HO intake manifold w/ BBK throttle body / PML tranny pan and Dana 30 diff cover / superchips / 200 amp altern. / black halo headlight w/kolak wiring / PIAA super plasma lights / white cluster / JKS susp. from Kevin's (Adj. Track Bar, upper,lower and quick discos) Tera end links rear / Bilstein 5150 shocks / Addco front&rear / A-Arm spacer Kolak / Splitfire triple platinum spark plugs / Transgo performance shift kit / performance exhaust (520cfm): random tech. cat; dynomax super turbo 17769 and Kolak tailpipe / Tire Pressure Monitoring System upgrade / IAT sensor relocated / 265 75 16 Goodyear MTR's

thanks a lot guys... i've made up my mind, im getting Kevin's 2.5" lift, Rubicon shocks... and 245/75/16 wheels.. also gonna put spacers on.. I'll post pics as soon as I get all that... should be mid/end January..

Thank youuu..!

And mattmcm.., no I'm not that Aleksey.. That kid has some balls but "impossible is nothing" stuff only works after drinking some russian vodka, hah..

Icon313

Quote Originally Posted by nierace View Post
    Good article...when ever I say you shouldn't run 265/75R16's on BB's on this forum I feel like i'm going to get attacked by a angry crowd with pitch forks...

Yeah I came across that after installing my lift and tires. I felt much better about my decision then. If I wasn't ever going to wheel it, I'd get the 265/75R16s for sure though. I love the bigger tires... Big Horns in this size on ebay for $480 shipped!!!
    R.I.P --> 99 WJ Limited Red/Taupe, 4.7 V8, factory UC, Quadradrive with 247->242HD TC Swap, Dana 30/44a 3.73s, Ebay intake with K&N, 4" IRO Springs, IRO front LAs, JKS BPEs, IRO A-arm spacer, Rubicon Express shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, 4" Teraflex rear links, JKS Adj Track Bar, 265/70R17 Bighorns on JK Moabs, 1.25" spacers, Kevin's LP2 Sliders, Kevin's bump stop extensions, Tom Woods double cardan front DS.

Registered

i have 2.5 with 265/75R16 A/T and they barely rub. If you dont wheel alot than i would def go with the 265/75's.
    2004 WJ. 2.5" BB. 265/75R16 BFG AT's

Oka im about to order new tires....... So whats the final verdict?...

I wanna get General Grabber AT2:

265/75/16
    265/70/16
    255/70/16
    245/75/16

which ones?.. Im propably never really gonna do ANY serious offroading, just take into a consideration...

AND do i need the 2.5" KOR lift kit to run those tires? or i can get it later?

and would 1.25" or 1.50" spacers make wheels more likely to rub? or less? or same?

Registered

I would go with the 245/75/16 Wider tires tend to hydroplane on water and not as good on snow. Like you said tho that is if we get any this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pinguino50 View Post
    I have a 3.25" lift and I doubt very much somebody can ride at high speed and off-road with stock components. Yep, w/off center axles at 80mph in the expressway, BS ride. Of course if you off road at 5 mph you may not feel nothing, do a cross country ride and you'll see.
    Apart, the original components weren't designed for that lift.
    Also original "rake" when new is like 1/2", only when sag is like 3/4" to 1 1/2"
    I bet this guys next Thread will be "help DW!!!!"

Before you put a lift on please please please look under your front end and check your Tie Rod End links and make sure they are ok. Mine were shot and after I put on my OME lift DW paid me a few visits (not fun). Another thing that my jeep needed was an alignment (really bad) and that probably helped cause DW. Other things that cause DW (but not limited to) Tire Balance, Adj TB, and loose bolts (do a search and you will find a million discussions on this topic). After I fixed these problems on my jeep it drove fine ($200 later). Just keep in mind the hidden expenses that you probably don't plan for, that will make your jeep nearly impossible to drive without ****ting your pants.
    2001 WJ SA 4.0L/OME springs & shocks/ProComp SS/ ATE Slotted Rotors/245/70R17 Nokian Vatiiva

If you have it you donít need it. If you need it you donít have it. If you have it you need more of it. If you have more of it you donít need less of it. You need it to get it. And you certainly need it to get more of it. But if you donít already have any of it to begin with, you canít get any of it to get started, which means you really have to know how to get it in the first place. Do you? You can share it, sure. You can even stockpile it if youíd like, but you canít fake it. Wanting it, needing it, wishing for itÖ The point is if youíve never had any of it never people just seem to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast