Thread: Front Driveshaft rebuild kit

Registered

Default Front Driveshaft rebuild kit

I'm over from the YJ forum, and was wondering if there is a rebuild kit for the front drive shaft of the cherokee. I'm looking to install a front DS in the rear of a YJ for a SYE kit. But before i do that i would like to rebuild it to make it new.

Thanks
    99' TJ-4L, 4" Skyjacker, RE control arms, 33" BFG MT, lockright in the rear 44, winch on the front, with all the extra stuff that goes in between!

Probaly be better to take it to a drive-shaft shop and have them do the work and they will also be able to balance it for you.
    1990 Jeep XJ 4x4 (242) 4-Door
    Nothing really important

2000 XJ Limited 4x4 (242) 4-Door
    Very Stock

Registered

I will have a driveline shop do the balancing, but i can rebuild the thing before it goes there for cheaper. What do all of you cherokee people do if the the drive shaft starts to wearout?
    99' TJ-4L, 4" Skyjacker, RE control arms, 33" BFG MT, lockright in the rear 44, winch on the front, with all the extra stuff that goes in between!

I'm thinking that the only "wearing out" driveshafts need maintenance on is to replace the u-joints. I use a 5.5" or larger vise, sockets & hammer.
    93 XJ Country – 32" TSL Radials, 4.5" Rough Country Lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    91 XJ Laredo – 33x15.5 TSL SXs, Homebrew 3" lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...okee%204-Door/
    RIP JeepForum.com 2006 Cherokee of the Year http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    Local to Cincinnati, OH? Check out http://www.terrainstompers.com

Registered

Is there a place to get the centering ball for the double cardon section or do most of you go to the dealer for the parts? I can get the ujoints at the parts store, but can they get the centering ball aswell?

Registered

There is supposedly a rebuild kit, but I've never found a part number for it. I plan on checking with Napa for one soon.

I believe you have to buy the whole "joint" from the dealer, making it outrageous if you just need a new ball.

Recently I've came across a few other small pieces that parts dealers have wanted you to buy the whole unit just to replace odd shaped/threaded washers/bolts/nuts that have broke / been lost.
    93 XJ Country – 32" TSL Radials, 4.5" Rough Country Lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    91 XJ Laredo – 33x15.5 TSL SXs, Homebrew 3" lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...okee%204-Door/
    RIP JeepForum.com 2006 Cherokee of the Year http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    Local to Cincinnati, OH? Check out http://www.terrainstompers.com

Quote Originally Posted by T.McD View Post
    I'm over from the YJ forum, and was wondering if there is a rebuild kit for the front drive shaft of the cherokee. I'm looking to install a front DS in the rear of a YJ for a SYE kit. But before i do that i would like to rebuild it to make it new.

Thanks

NAPA sells the whole shaft for like $120. Just buy one and be done with it.

If you find one that really needs to be rebuilt (new CV) it would be cheaper to just buy a whole new shaft.

If it just needs U-Joints you are only out $30 or so.
    01WJ 4x4 V8 Quadradrive. Zippy!
    00XJ 4x4 Freedom "Project Rollover"

Registered

Wouldn't an XJ front DS be way too long for the back of a YJ?

Stu.

I either go to Napa or local semi-truck place to get the double cardan. I think it runs about $75 or 80 and then I use a press to switch them out.
    Mitch - Louisville, KY
    00 XJ, 4.0, 4x4, 4.56's, 4.5" RE/Tera Lift, 32x11.50 BFG AT/ko's, Currie HD Steering, RE HD Trackbar and bracket, BDS adjustable UCA & LCA's, Rusty's shocks, ZJ rear disc conversion, AJ's rockrails, Hella 550's, 2 chamber flowmaster, 2.5" cat-back exhaust

R.I.P - 94 XJ, 4.0, 4x4, 4.5" RE/Tera Lift, 32x11.50 BFG AT/KO's, ARB Snorkel, 50x60 rack, Hella's f/r, C4x4 Hooks,

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Stu View Post
    Wouldn't an XJ front DS be way too long for the back of a YJ?

Stu.
    I would be having it shortened to fit the YJ. I would just like it to be in perfect shape before i go and mount it in..I will try a couple of indrustrial truck places and see what they can do.

Wow, there is an amazing amount of tech here.:untrue:

Here are the numbers...

Spicer Ball Centering Kit 211355x
    *Rockford Ball Centering Kit R2-21-1355
    **Rockford CV Repair Kit 404-0

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm
    Omnis Cedo Domus

98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300 with some mods
    98 XJ Sport

Subscribe to CRAWL Magazine

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
    Wow, there is an amazing amount of tech here.:untrue:

Here are the numbers...

Spicer Ball Centering Kit 211355x
    *Rockford Ball Centering Kit R2-21-1355
    **Rockford CV Repair Kit 404-0

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm
    Thanks for the info, that is what i was looking for exactly, the whole time. I figure that there must have been a kit for this. The U-joints are the easy part, but the centering ball is the part that i know nothing about.

Cheers

I had a complete rebuild of my front DS for 82.12

Included:
    5-785x Joint x2 30.84
    5-153x Joint x1 10.18
    CV Joint Replacement 37.35
    Install Fee's 3.75
    -----------------------------
    Total 82.12

Project Overnight 01 XJ FOR SALE_____________________ The Parts XJ-Wrecked_____________ The CJ __________________________________

www.stu-offroad.com

Upon teardown I found the front u-joint before the centering ball assembly was toast. Needle bearings in two caps were totally gone and the cap was dried out inside. It was grinding metal on metal. Hence the speak. The centering ball was still well lubed with no signs of degradation. The outer dust @ oil seal however was cracked and hard. I decided why everything was apart I might as well throw in a new centering ball assembly. Here is where most people buy the whole assembly via Napa which is Spicer Ball Centering Kit 211355x $64.95 at NAPA. I decided to go a different route and disassembled the ball assembly and not buy a whole new Centering kit. I ordered part Rockford CV Repair Kit #404-0. This just includes the new ball @ seat, bearings, spring and dust @ oil seal. This part is only $12.95 compared to $64.95 for the whole assembly.

The six boxes contain five greasable u-joints and the CV centering ball kit. The front shaft requires three u-joints and the rear requires two. The stock u-joints are not serviceable without complete disassembly, as shown in Stu's writeup, so I decided to replace the stock units with Spicer greasable 1310 u-joints. Spicer parts are highly recommended by many, while AutoZone and Precision brand parts were frequently listed as items to avoid. I have no personal experience with these other brands. Part numbers are listed below.

Brand Part Name Part Number Approximate Price
    Spicer 1310 U-joint 5-153x $12.95 each at NAPA
    Spicer Ball Centering Kit 211355x $64.95 at NAPA
    *Rockford Ball Centering Kit R2-21-1355 $31 online
    **Rockford CV Repair Kit 404-0 $12.45 online
    '99 XJ Classic -- Almost Stock

Icon315

Quote Originally Posted by T.McD View Post

Thanks
    I know this is an old thread but I am really curious if this worked?

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I am really curious if this worked?
    you should PM him.(private message)

Thanks..I might do that.