Thread: sunroof weather stripping leaking

Default sunroof weather stripping leaking

does anyone know where to get an aftermarket sunroof weather strip, it is pretty expensive from the stealership, it only leaks if i actually use the sunroof, if i press it back into place and close it and make sure it is sealed than it wont leak, it seems to have become distorted at the seam where it meets in the back of the glass
    D-ROK

1997 5.2 LIMITED-
    -COLD AIR INTAKE
    -MOPAR PERFORMANCE COMPUTER
    -40 SERIES FLOWMASTER
    -4.5 INCH LIFT
    -ADJUSTABLE TRACKBARS FRONT AND REAR
    -PIRELLI 31X10.5X15
    -STULL GRILL
    -COWL INDUCTION HOOD
    -ROOF RACK
    -DON-A-VEE SPARE TIRE MOUNT
    -ARB WINCH BUMPER

Well since no ones even replied here Ill chime in.

Clean up the seal and glass real good and invest in some quality (3M?) weatherstrip adhesive. Let the adhesive cure as the directions state and use it at the temperatures suggested.

I would say the existing seal or a new factory seal is the best seal for the sunroof.
    1998 Jeep 5.9 Deep Slate. "Made in Detroit Baby!"

I'm not 100% sure on how the Jeep design works, but I'll chime in on an issue VW owners used to have.

It wasn't the actual sunroof that would leak, rather, the drains around the roof would get clogged and basically backup. A way to fix that was to snake some wire down the drain tubes and clean them out. The drains are usually rubber, so a little tape over the leading edge of the wire is a good idea.

There was another thread about this just the other day. Someone in there said the only way (now) to get the weatherstripping from the dealer is with glass too. And of course that is expensive. Here is a link from the other thread for some aftermarket weatherstrip: http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9398grandcherokee.htm
    1998 ZJ 5.2 Limited
    2004 WJ 4.7HO Limited