View Poll Results: Who makes the best tow rig?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

48 20.43%
  • Dodge

134 57.02%
  • Ford

50 21.28%
  • :atm:

3 1.28%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best tow rig?

Registered

Thumbs up Now thats the setup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
    My POS's.
    Sweet deal. Now I guess i gotta download my ole rig and trailer to show ya'll the rig.
    It Ain't Purdy Til Its Dirty!

Registered

Default 2002 f350 cummins allison

The best tow rig is my friends 02 f350 with a 04 cummins in front of a 5spd allison. Its hard to beat its looks, power, and shifting. But at a very high price. A shop in Hargerstown, MD bolted everything together. People freak when he pops the hood. The cummins guys always hear it a mile away.

Registered

Well, IMO as far as drivetrains go the Cummins and the Duramax are both pretty good. I've never been a huge fan of the Fords. Personally, i think the GM wins out as a tow pig because of the Allison tranny, more comfortable seats than the rock hard Dodge units & and the IFS. Personally I think the IFS provides a better on road ride (not sure why, but the GM's seem to have a more forgiving ride than the Dodges). If you plan on taking it off road I would say the SFA is the way to go. I guess it depends on your planned usage for the truck. If it's strictly towing the toy to ORV parks and you'll be spending hours at a time driving it I'd say GM. If you want a work truck you can beat on (SFA )and ride quality doesn't matter go Dodge.

1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo | 4.0 L / 242 | JVC KD-LHX-550 reciever | 2 12" R.F. Punch P2 subs & amp | viper remote start | 2.5" OME coils | R.E. twin tube shocks |32" Mud Terrains |

Quote Originally Posted by HMR-RSQ View Post
    Sweet deal. Now I guess i gotta download my ole rig and trailer to show ya'll the rig.
    Thanks. Post 'em up when you get 'em.

I think that they ALL build a good tow rig, each has something that the other doesn't however, they all do their jobs well.

I.E. if you want resale you buy a ford or chevy. If you want a great motor get a cummins, if you want a truck that rides higher then an impala you get a dodge or ford.

They all have their little gimics but they are all great vehicles. If we all drove one vehicle this world would be bland as heck.

Registered

you don't get better than an excursion for towing a single rig. god damn i miss mine already (sold it last week, was given pay off, and a 99 suburban for it). i'll let you all know how much i hate towing with the small block suburban. i'll also let you know how much i save in fuel costs in daily driving though (i only tow once a month or so, and it's all flat ground, except for a couple of trips to kentucky a year, so i think the burb will be ok, just no more staying in the passing lane on the long steep grades).
    97 tj
    46 willys

Quote Originally Posted by snookwheel View Post
    HEY... you left Uhaul off the poll

"The Duramax/Allison combo is hard to beat." (no.. that combo is not in the Uhaul:sadpink: )

X2!
    What kind of MPG do you get when your fully loaded? What kind if any mods have you done to the uhaul as far as creature comforts.
    '00 Wrangler Sport | '08 Grand Cherokee Limited | '10 Patriot Latitude

I've always been around ford's my whole life and for me there's nothing better...always been a FORD GUY!!!!..as for the 6.0's,they got better in 05.But I know alot of people with 6.0's and 7.3's and they just dont die!!!!!!

96 ZJ Limited, 5.2 with K&N filter, Hi flow cat, Cherry bomb extreme muffler, Clayton LA"s 6" lift, Steering box brace from KOR, KOR track bar Conversion,TnT steering, 242 TC, 8.8 with ARB, dana 30, 4.88's, 35 KM2's,KOR bumpers
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149

Quote Originally Posted by Scott00TJ View Post
    What kind of MPG do you get when your fully loaded? What kind if any mods have you done to the uhaul as far as creature comforts.
    I get around 10.5 mpg at 60-65. Much over that and it tanks.

Here's a couple shots etc.

Link to build thread and pics: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480067

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Atl XJ View Post
    I saw a one ton Duramax tow truck do that once. It was pretty damn impressive. It was 2wd and it pulled a stalled out loaded 18 wheeler (~80K lbs) uphill up an exit ramp. It was blocking traffic and the police told him to do it. I was shocked that it actually did it. :shreekz:
    I pushed a loaded semi out of the road with a 2004 crown victoria, It was flat ground, but I did it, kinda tweaked the push bar.

I voted ford but meant to hit dodge
    02 Wrangler Sport,

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
    Dodge... by far.

Emphasis on the question though... he's asking What the best tow rig is, not what the best all around truck or riding truck

The proof is in numbers. Look at what the hotshots drive on the freeway, and draw your own conclusions.
    look at light duty tow trucks out there what do you see the most of?
    most are Ford's then Chevy, then Dodge...
    me personally I think Chevy would be lower, and there would be alot more dodges than there actually is, but you are right, the proof is in the numbers

Just my 2 cents but in farm country what you will see the most out in the field and working are Dodges and Fords. Most farmers around here use the Chevy as a run to town truck.

You want to haul something heavy? Ford or Dodge.

Kinda funny but I know a guy that operates heavy equipment and uses a Ford F-450 with the 6.0 auto to haul them, his passion is pulling trucks and has two chevy's-hauls them both with the 450 and when the diesel class only had one entry he entered his 450 which is a 4x4 and drug the sled further with it than either of his chevy pull trucks.
    1998 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 (wife's ride)
    1989 Wagoneer Limited 4.0 (sold)
    1977 Cherokee Chief 401, th400,QT,D44's (not done)
    2005 Nissan Frontier Crew cab (mine)

Registered

I don't know about now, but I know when I used to drive tow trucks in the mid 90's till about 2003.
    I asked my boss how come we don't get "one of those cool new dodges"(this was in the late 90's) and he said "those cool new dodges" have a problem with the frames cracking that's why you don't see any dodge rollbacks.

at the time all of our equipment was early 80's to late 90's fords F-350's and F-450's. some rollbacks, some wheel lifts. two had a 460's one carbed one EFI, all the others wher either 6.9, 7.3, or 7.3 turbos all manual transmission some wher 4x4's. then they dabbled with some IHC 4700's with 7.3 turbos with 5 speeds and 7 speeds, but got rid of them, and now almost the entire fleet is F-550 diesel 4x4's and a Kenworth T-300 I think is the medium duty truck?

I am not a Dodge fan overall, but the cummins is hard to beat.

The newer duramax's are sweet but not a fan of the front suspension. Also not a big fan of the body style.

I have always been a fan of ford trucks. Though lately mine is kinda getting on my nerves. I just did bearings and ball joints, only to have a caliper lock up on me. So I just did new pads, rotors, calipers, and lines.

The plus solid D60 up front, the downside is the unit bearings, costly and unreliable.

The 7.3 is a beast of a motor for what it is. However as I am now finding out Ford autos bring the suck.

I love the body style though (01 F350 dually) the inside is comfy, yet simple. You can lay down across the back seat and sleep (good for those long 17hr trips to MO) and the ride is nice.

I agree with above. If I could do it I would put a Cummins, to a manual (or a built auto) in a F350 superduty chassis.
    1990 YJ Stroked and Bored. 3.5"BDS rear, SOA front w/ waggy springs, 2" Bl, 1"MM, DozerDanRockRails, DD gas tank skid, Custom D60 front, Yota Rear, 4.56's, locked F/R, TJ flares, 35" MTR's

1992 XJ 2 door $46 in scrap
    2007 AWMS Chassis- Under way. 60/14b 37's twin turbo'd 302, t5, d300 Go faassssst.

Spotter Team 818, AdventureWorks Motorsports
    WE Rock, RC Rocks, XRRA, ORCA

Team 818a KOH quailifier
    Thanks to NJXOR, EMS Offroad, Jeff's Auto body and Recycling

www.awmotorsports.com

Registered

I saw a one ton Duramax tow truck do that once. It was pretty damn impressive. It was 2wd and it pulled a stalled out loaded 18 wheeler (~80K lbs) uphill up an exit ramp. It was blocking traffic and the police told him to do it. I was shocked that it actually did it. :shreekz:
    I find this extremely hard to believe a light or medium duty tow truck of any sort could have done this, being I drove tow trucks for a long time till I got my CDL and now drive big trucks...
    perhaps if you said the rig was empty, and in fact on flat ground and the tow truck had 4wheel drive, and a probably a manual transmission, because I would think you you would need all those factors to make it even remotely possible.
    anything with an automatic would just slip until it finally broke a tire loose then just start spinning the tires and hopping in place. 4wheel low would have made it harder to brake a tire loose and gave more torque, but still...
    a stalled out rig is dead weight it has nothing to do with how much weight your rig can pull if pushed, it's all about traction and I am afraid a tow truck just does not have enough weight on it's ass end to accomplish what you said. perhaps it happened under slightly different conditions, but I have a really hard time believing this happened as you described.
    even if he put the rig on an under reach, assuming it had one, and it was long enough to reach the rigs axle, and he had the right forks for it, and assuming the light/medium duty under reach was strong enough to lift the front of a loaded rig (12,000lbs on a steer axle) wich would give him the weight on the ass end to keep the tires from spinning, the steer tires of the tow truck would be off the ground. not too mention I doubt the 1 ton suspension would even support 6+ tons.
    even though I know some tow truck drivers are retarded and have no reguards for the equipment they don't own, and are constantly wanting to show everyone how Bad ass their rig is.

so I am assuming he did this with a chain either off the wheel lift, wich would have caused him to just spin his tires and hop around. Or by chaining his own truck to something else and winching... but even that would not have happened on a loaded rig going up hill...
    I have seen what the lightest of heavy duty wreckers could not do on my loaded rig on almost flat ground, and they had these shovel things that dug deep into the ground and even with a snatch block they could not move my rig more than a few INCHES at a time with out repositioning the tow truck because it would have tipped over.
    I only needed to be moved about 15 feet and it took hours. and the only reason they didn't send another truck is 1 my company didn't tell them I was loaded, and 2 I was on a 2 lane road in the middle of the desert between Tonopah, NV and Roundmountain, NV wich is about 1 hour from civilization in either direction, and about 4 hours from any major towns in any direction.

Well believe it Jerseyboy... while it's "dead weight" it's also on wheels.

I've not only pulled dump trucks grossing 60-70k or so out of ditchs and off the road... I've personally seen an F350 SRW pickup pull a Kenworth up a small grade to an exit ramp. I've also seen other people do similar things.
    2001 F250 CC Platinum Edition PSD 170,000 miles.

Injectors, Turbo, Springs, Studs, Oil, Fuel, etc... just a big fat crewcab running 13.0.

1980 Jeep CJ-5 SOLD, had to move!

1977 Waggy D44 w/ Jnutter knuckles for sale.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
    Well believe it Jerseyboy... while it's "dead weight" it's also on wheels.

I've not only pulled dump trucks grossing 60-70k or so out of ditchs and off the road... I've personally seen an F350 SRW pickup pull a Kenworth up a small grade to an exit ramp. I've also seen other people do similar things.
    I have seen my empty tanker not even budge when I tried to pull it with my jeep in Low range.
    then we tried it with another drivers late 90's suburban in 4low, it got it to rock, but just kept hopping spinning the tires.
    the truck was on fairly flat ground just stuck on wet grass, not sunk... Super Singles=Super Suck.
    The empty tanker is probably somewhere around 26,000-27,000lbs. it has a power divider, and a full locking main diff switch so we had at least 3 of the drive tires turning and we couldn't do jack! and we wher on sollid ground trying to pull the tanker backwards...

I don't know what your situation was, but I am sure on dry pavement it could probably be done with an empty truck on a slight grade... in 4wheel low...
    also if the truck was running or had full air tanks, wich basically if you are rolling and stop it from rolling backwards you get only a few hits of the brakes before you only like 80psi wich isn't even enough to fully release your brakes all the way with out some drag.
    you left out alot of details with your story, but the other guy provided alot, and I seriously doubt it could happen the way he specifically stated.

not trying to start an argument I am just talking from what I know and experienced, and I have never seen anything either of you are stating.
    so untill I see this happen I will not believe it.
    I also knew this guy who had a pretty worked K-5 blazer on 40's who claimed he once pulled a loaded semi out of a ditch with his Blazer...
    then when we got a medium duty international sling truck... I think it was a 4700, but it is possible it was a 4900 series... anyways long story short I got my ranger stuck bad, a ram charger came to help me got stuck, he called one of the guys he works with that brought the international wich never left the main trail in Hainesport State Forrest, he got the ram charger out then got itself stuck, so we called the guy with the Blazer so we wouldn't get busted. the blazer got me out, but could not get the international out.
    The wrecker got itself out with a snatch block and winching to different things.

The truck was fully loaded. It was a 3500 tow truck with a hook on the back. Not a flat bed. I don't even think it was 4wd. It was a manual with super low gearing though.

It could have been 4wd, it was a long time ago and I don't remember. I don't think it was though.

This was on an exit ramp and traction wasn't an issue.

They towed it with a chain or strap (I don't remember) and it messed up the front bumper in the stranded truck.

Registered

The truck was fully loaded. It was a 3500 tow truck with a hook on the back. Not a flat bed. I don't even think it was 4wd. It was a manual with super low gearing though.

It could have been 4wd, it was a long time ago and I don't remember. I don't think it was though.

This was on an exit ramp and traction wasn't an issue.

They towed it with a chain or strap (I don't remember) and it messed up the front bumper in the stranded truck.
    I am assuming the picture on your posts is yours just for laughs wrap a chain around a fully loaded rolloff garbage dumpster and try to pull it in 2wheel.
    I don't know how else to simulate the dead weight, but I am sure it is not the best analogy, but I used to have an 88 F-350 long bed, standard cab, srw with 35's and a C-6.
    at the place I used to work one of the guys drove the front right tire of a dodge durango into the oil changing pit. it didn't go all the way in, it was supported by the running board on the rail of the pit.
    I hooked a chain to the durango and tried to pull it in 2wheel with as little power as possible and spun my tires. there was 2 burn out marks so I know my LS was working. I put my truck in 4low and it easily walked the durango out...
    I am saying I don't think it is possible to even move the weight of an empty rig up a hill with 2wheel drive.

when the front right tire of the durango went into the pit the wheel was cut hard right and the guy driving was backing up and stood on the break the second it fell in. I was in the pit and started screaming when I saw the tire coming over the side and he stood on the brakes.
    the flat part of the tread was still in contact with the rail, so it was not completely dead weight. but the durango weighs alot less than 80,000lbs even with the added effect of the dead weight.

Well I can pull a 30,000 pound sled down a dirt track and get over 10 mph in 200 feet. The only time I stop is when the brakes are applied and the diggers are dragging several inches into the ground.

I'll see if I can find the newspaper articles for you.
    2001 F250 CC Platinum Edition PSD 170,000 miles.

Injectors, Turbo, Springs, Studs, Oil, Fuel, etc... just a big fat crewcab running 13.0.

1980 Jeep CJ-5 SOLD, had to move!

1977 Waggy D44 w/ Jnutter knuckles for sale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast