Thread: No turn signals, wipers, heater, radio, clock

Icon314 No turn signals, wipers, heater, radio, clock

Sounds like it's one of the fusible links in the box under the hood, but I have no idea which one, and don't have a book yet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

All of the fusible links are close together, near where the positive battery cable connects. You'll have to search for one that looks melted or blackened. It should be obvious when compared to the others.
    Also check the underhood fuses.
    96 XJ 2-dr Sport, 4.0L, AW-4, ChryCo 8.25, Ecco alloys with BFG L/T's, 3-row CSF rad, Forest Green.....

Registered

The ignition switch that's on the steering column (box with a metal rod and two different set of wire connections to it).
    Stock '89 XJ
    Flowmaster SUV 50 series

Default yep.

Definately the ignition switch. Replacing it tonight. Doesn't look fun. :untrue:

Registered

This is what was pm'd to me when I had the problem... hope it helps.

"I got an ignition switch from AutizumZone (sorry I couldn't resist, my local one really sucks) was less than $20. Disconnect the batteries ground strap. Changing it on my 87 required removing the lower panel that goes across the bottom of the dash, mostly phillips you can see except the one behind the ashtray. Dependimg what ascessories you have attached to the back of this panel, I had to unplug the three interior lights, two tweaters from the stereo, un-velcro the intermidaite wiper timer, and unplug my auto trany computer to remove it, now you can reach the ignition switch on the top of the steering collum just above your toes. They got the dimmer switch attached to the left side of the collum sharing bolts/nuts with the ign. switch. Both are operated by linkage rods from the steering wheel area, and both switches are slotted for adjustment. The dimmer switch has to come off first, and it's adjustment is simple whem you put it back together, slide it up till you just take the freeplay out of the turnsignal/dimmer lever. Once the dimmer switch is out of the way you can un-bolt the ign. switch, slide the linkage rod out, and pulling it to the side, remove the wiring plug assembly. The ign. adjustment is a little tricky in that you have to syncronize the switch positions with the ign. key positions, I don't remember if I used the off position on them both or the ascessory positions, but it was one of those that you could feel the detent positions between the two for syncronizing the adjustment. You can hook the battery up to test the adjustment/positions of the key and re=adjust as nescessary. Good luck! It's not hard, just awkward access, and get a good light in there to see what your doing."

We got a new ignition switch last night.($12.99 at AutoZone or Checker) Not the one where the key goes into. It's under the dash, on top of the steering column, two connectors go into it. And the ignition rod goes underneath it. It was pretty simple once your under there, just a ton of freakin wires everywhere(hard to get to, hard to see) Especially since we were working on it in the dark.
    What is going on with yours? My bud's xj=no heater fan, no blinkers, no wipers, no radio. Now it all works great.
    Let me know if this helps
    thanks, Rory (utahxjer)
    Stock '89 XJ
    Flowmaster SUV 50 series

I had a turn signal bulb short/ground out & it took out one of the fuses under the dash. It took out all dash lights, radio, turn signal lights, running lights with it. I replaced the bulb, replaced the fuse, & I was good to go.
    93 XJ Country – 32" TSL Radials, 4.5" Rough Country Lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    91 XJ Laredo – 33x15.5 TSL SXs, Homebrew 3" lift http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...okee%204-Door/
    RIP JeepForum.com 2006 Cherokee of the Year http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ep%20Cherokee/
    Local to Cincinnati, OH? Check out http://www.terrainstompers.com

Josh,

Did the ignition switch fix your problem?? Is an ignition switch and key tumbler one and the same? I am having the exact same problem in my TJ. I am also having problems with turning my key in the tumbler at the same time. How hard was is to change??

Thanks in advance.
    Jeff Niwa
    98 TJ Sport, Trac Loc, 3" Teraflex System, 1" BL, 33x12.5 Stampeder MTs on AR767's. BFG AT KO's, Tomken Gas Skid, California Soft Top, Bosch H4 headlight upgrades w/ 55/65watt bulbs + all sorts of other lighting, tow strap, first aid kit, Durabaked interior, Cobra 75 CB w/ 5' Wilson Antenna, Rusty Oil Pan skid, Husky floor liners, hand throttle,and fire extinguisher.
    PurpleTJ's Website

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
    Did the ignition switch fix your problem?? Is an ignition switch and key tumbler one and the same? I am having the exact same problem in my TJ. I am also having problems with turning my key in the tumbler at the same time. How hard was is to change??
    The lock cylinder and the ignition switch are two seperate parts. Regarding your key, try going to a locksmith shop and asking them to cut you a coded key from your VIN. It should cost about $10 and will be a brand new key, and not a copy of your old worn key. When I had that problem the new key was the solution. New ignition lock cylinders are not cheap. If that doesn't work, you could pull the lock cyl and see how much the locksmith would charge to rebuild it for you. Probably a lot less than buying a replacement.
    95 XJ 4.0L 5spd, ZJ coils, RE leafs, Tera BB, JKS LCAs, factory skids, 31" BFGs and 32" Swampers
    84 XJ 2.5L 4spd, 3" Rancho lift, 31s, retired at 386,187 miles