Thread: Engine swap: 2001 jeep 4.0L. into a cj-7

Default Engine swap: 2001 jeep 4.0L. into a cj-7

2001 Jeep 4.0L I-6, 42,000 miles, complete with computer has come across my plate for $500. The cherokee was destroyed in a Rear ender but he engine compartment is perfect.

FI and the low miles look really good to me.

What do I need to know. Maybe some links to others that have done the swap.

I need someone to drop the knowledge on me. thanks.
    I have: Black '83 Cj-7 laredo with rebuilt 258, d300, crappy 2:73 gears, Howell TBI, GM Hei Ignition, Chevy Blower motor upgrade, 33" BF Goodrich TA, RE 4.5 lift, AR767's...

I want: D44's w/4.10, S-10 or Jimmy lighted RV mirror, Original Laredo steps...

Do you know if the ignition key was black or grey? A grey key means "Sentry key" (transponder based anti-theft sytem) and you will have to deal with getting past that (if it's possible)

Just about all you need to know about 4.0 swaps..........
    http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24

-Dave
    '96 XJ Sport
    '82 CJ 7 4.0

Weapon, are you replacing an existing 258? And if so, if it's still in good running condition, would you be interested in selling it?

I'm over in Eastern Oregon but am looking to replace my 258, it's got a dead cylinder (low compression) and I'd rather just replace it with a good running used motor rather than rebuild.

Jordan
    >>>>>>
    Jordan S.
    >>>>>>

Just gathering data right now. My engine in tired and needs a rebuild. I have a '77 258 block and a 4.0 head sitting in my garage getting ready to be rebuilt but if the swap to the Cherokee engine is not too difficult. I may go that route since it already has the FI and stuff. The Cj-7 would be the economy/daily driver jeep.

I may be picking up a '83 scrambler to go with my cj-7 so I am not sure what is going on right now.

I got a new job that I start next week and I need to see the offer sheet before I can decide.

Too many things are all happening to fast and I have to wait for things to settle first before I make any decisions.

Send my a pm and I will keep it and when I do decide, you will be the first to know. I need more jeep friends in oregon. my other friends just don't understand me.
    I have: Black '83 Cj-7 laredo with rebuilt 258, d300, crappy 2:73 gears, Howell TBI, GM Hei Ignition, Chevy Blower motor upgrade, 33" BF Goodrich TA, RE 4.5 lift, AR767's...

I want: D44's w/4.10, S-10 or Jimmy lighted RV mirror, Original Laredo steps...

Alrighty, a pm has been sent.

I've read 4.0 swaps aren't bad, but I think there were some electrical changes by 2001 with the ignition system.

The other main issue I know of is the crank position sensor, but you can have your bellhousing modified, or buy an adapter or something to fix that. Can't recall exactly.

Here's one writeup I found

Jordan
    >>>>>>
    Jordan S.
    >>>>>>