Thread: Bantam Trailer for sale - Lots of Pics

It puts the lotion on... Don-A-Vee's Avatar

Default Bantam Trailer for sale - Lots of Pics

Just passing this info along. Please contact the seller directly for more info:

This trailer was purchased brand new by my father in the late 1940's, I think from Sears Roebuck & Co. I have an old picture of it behind his 1949 Ford Woody Wagon when it was new, if someone would like to see it. It has the original tag still attatched to the front panel. Last year I partially restored it to bring it back to usable condition. It was cleaned and chemically prepped, painted with epoxy primer and automotive enamel in the original color. I did not repair any of the rust holes, or any of the dents. Those dents have memories! I did weld all of the cracks in the tailgate area to make the sides sturdy and the gate usable. There is no stuctural rust, it is very solid. These trailers had a very high nickel content in the metal, and were very durable and rust resistant. The fenders were removed and re-installed. I added brand new 16" Hankook trailer tires and tubes, and cleaned and painted the rims seperatly. I Also replaced all the bearings and seals, and re-wired it and added a right side lamp for safety. It has the original 1-7/8" coupler with a new coupler knob kit. It has a very early serial number, 8005. This trailer is roadworthy, delivery is possible, sold as is. There are restoration parts available for these trailers such as floors, stake kits etc.. I added the following general information on Bantam trailers. +Post War Civilian Bantam T-3C 1/4 ton Jeep Trailers After the war, Bantam struggled along for a few years manufacturing 1/4ton Jeep trailers (T3C) for the civilian market. This kept the company alive, but only barely. In the end it wasn't enough and Bantam finally went out of business after just a few more years of trailer production. Bantam's civilian T-3-C trailers were stripped down copies of the Military MBT/T3 Trailer without all the features that the military trailers (T3) came with. Bantam went on to produce this basic trailer after the war for the civilian market from 1946 until 1953. Although they weren't a completely new design, the trailers were given the new model name: BT3C. (They are also called BTC, B-T3C, BT-3C, BT3-C, T3C, T-3C, T3-C by others. A long list to describe the same trailer). Bantam also added some features that civilians would find useful, ones that the military would have objected to. They added stake pockets to the T3-C, so you could put wooden stake sides (to haul more cargo) and/or wooden top bows (to hold a tarp up) on the trailer. They discontinued the parking brake assembly. No brake drums on axles, and no hand brake ass'y. The lunette eye style receiver was replaced with a civilian type ball hitch receiver. The data plate size was reduced in size to 1"x3" for most of the civilian trailers, although some early ones did come with full size 3"x3" plates. The data plates were mounted in the same place as the military trailers - towards the top of the front panel on the drivers side. These smaller data plates were only held on by 2 rivets instead of 4 rivets. Originally these smaller plates were closer to the top of the top rail tubing, but they were eventually lowed a few inches more down the panel. Civilian trailers came with fewer rope hooks / cargo tie downs (for securing a cover tarp, or tying down the load it was carrying). Military trailers have 4 per long side, the civilian T3-C trailer only has 3 per side. Both Military & Civilian trailers had 1 hook tie down on the front & rear panels. A dropping tailgate was added and the rear section had reinforcement gusset panels added to support the body & tailgate. The tailgate was not wanted on military trailers because military trailers could float. A tailgate would not allow amphibious use of the trailer by the Army, Navy, and Marines. It would, however, add a lot more usefulness to the civilian customer by making it easier to load & unload things for the trailer. The gusset panels were needed to compensate for the cargo body's loss of strength when the tailgate was added to the trailer to prevent flexing and too much stress being put on the body panels and welds. These panels were the new location for mounting the rear reflectors and taillights. If the new T-3C came with tail lights, they came with civilian taillights instead of military black out lights. The front panels of trailers with no taillights would have been issued without the extra upside down rope hook to hold the vehicle electrical cable when not in use - no taillights, no need for electrical inter vehicular cable, no electrical cable, no need for a hook for it. The side red reflectors of WWII were discontinued as well, and the rear red reflectors were moved from the rear body panel to the outside tailgate reinforcement gusset plate panels. The major changes made to the BT3 for conversions to the BT3-C in the civilian market are detailed below. In 1946 Bantam trailers were available from the factory in Butler, PA in Red and Green paint colors only. The suggested retail price in November 1946 was $169.50 plus $8.12 tax for the basic cargo trailer. The Utility Chassis (no cargo body, wiring or fenders) was $126 plus $6.62 tax. Side Racks, Bows and Tarpaulin Set was $35 plus $1 tax. A flat tarpaulin was $12 plus $.38 tax. All prices were F.O.B. .

Default More Pics

Forgive me for being nieve, but what is it about this trailer that puts it in the $3000 range? I'm pretty inexperienced with putting values on these trailers, but I've seen "similiar appearing" trailers for $300-$500. I'm not trying to be a creep, I'm honestly curious.

Not sure, as I mentioned above, you need to conact the person listed.

Wow. I know you aren't the one selling it but I bought a trailer just like that one - actually in a little better condition - for 300 bucks. Three-hundred.

Guess he wants to hold on to that one - maybe he's just "selling it" so the wife thinks he's gonna get rid of it...??
    My post count never changes...WTF???

Registered

Yeah... I think he is asking much less than that.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMERI...33726037QQrdZ1
    '48 CJ 2A

I must apologize. I have removed the contact information for the person who was supposedly selling this item.

The person who contacted me looking for a buyer for this trailer was a referral. I figured I would post it just as a favor to the referrer. After talking with him I come to find out he was looking to make a quick turn in selling it and had no idea what the value of it was. I guess I put too much trust in my friend for referring him.

At least I now know what these trailers are really worth.

At least they are decent pictures of the trailer.

On second thought, maybe this guy should get screwed for trying to scam some unknowing Jeeper into buying a Bantam trailer for 1000% over the true value.

If enough people email him acting as prospective buyers at $3k, then this guy will probably go through with the auction. Here is his contact info:

Rick Bertsch
    rickbertsch@mac.com