Thread: amc 304 oil presure ???

Default amc 304 oil presure ???

Just wondering what the oil presure should be at idle for the amc 304.

Thanks
    Doc

Registered

I usually run 15-20 psi when warmed up at idle.

Project DOA has started

The books call for 13psi @ 600rpms (Which I feel is low) and at 1600rpms and above they say 37 psi MINIMUM... @ 75psi +/- 5psi and the Oil pressure relief valve should open and drop the pressure.. if not, you'll blow the oil filter seal or the can from the top... (Speaking from experience on that one). When my Jeep is Warm (running temp of 180*) and at Idle I'm normally at 30psi to 35psi. when I run 20w50 Racing oil in the summer it'll be around 40psi to 45psi at Warm idle... But for my own mental relief I like to have my oil pressure at warm idle for all my vehicles no less than 20-25psi... But sometimes it's a trade off... Some engines push high Oil pressure and not much volume... while others will read a lower pressure but have more volume.... Personally, I'd rather have lower Oil pressure and greater volume.. But, seeing that it's an AMC we're all sort of limited on the oiling.. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS CASH to WASTE..(But, You can do minor oiling mods, such as the internal oiling line from the front gallery that runs to the passenger side in-between the 6 & 8 cylinder... I've seen guys run that to both sides.. (Over-kill!) and you can also drill tiny holes to squirt a little more oil onto your timing chain and dizzy gears... Another mod that not too many people know about is in the heads... the rear drain holes can be enlarged a little to allow greater draining (Must be careful not to go too much due to the water Jackets)... Also, when you have a bare block turn it up side down and look at the rear oiling (mains).. you'll see the oiling holes.. sometimes from the factory the holes aren't fully drilled.. only the tip of the drill bit broke through.. so you can also enlarge or open those up as-well... if you pull the front and rear oil plugs you can drill the oil galley out as-well (The ones that feed the lifters).. You can't go much bigger... Better if not messed with... Just an Idea unless you have the tools and knowledge.. Anyway, Just some food for thought.. I'm sure you're well aware that AMC's biggest fault is there oiling system.. High knickle blocks are great but without oil anything that is metal on metal will fail... AMC V-8's a known for starving the rear mains and then the oil pressure will slowly drop to un-suitable numbers.. Also the timing/water pump cover is the next flaw.... they're cast Aluminum and in the side of the case are the gears which are surrounded by soft aluminum... which tends to get chewed... Anyway, sorry for running on and on.. maybe some of this might help you or others.... etc. Good luck man
    1982 Wagoneer Frame slowly being caged, AMC 360, Ford NP435/NP205, 35" swampers, D44 Front, AMC 20 Rear Will be upgrading to 1 tons and 42" tires once I find a Ford NP203.

when i first start up i run about 40-45 at warm idle of about 600rpm's its about 15-20. i only did the oiling mod line to the rear cylinders.
    1984 CJ7 amc 360, T18 dana 20, 5 1/2 lift, warn 9.5ti 35's 44 in the rear, 4.10's and an ausie locker in the rear and custom one of a kind hand made by me rectangular tube frame and alot sorts of other goodies

I just had my motor rebuilt and I run 40-50 psi hot a highway speeds and 10 psi at hot idle (600 rpm).
    1998 Jeep TJ Sport Chili Pepper Red and bone stock

Project DOA has started

pghjeeper ... What are your tolerances? Oil clearances etc.. And did you use a new timing cover and check the clearances of the gears on the side wall and more importantly the bottom or end gear clearance?... THat's the High-pressure side of the pump... Also what what weight oil are you running and what brand Oil Filter Are you using?... If you don't know yet Don't use Fram.... I've had great results with MOBILE 1 and Purolator Filters... Fram used to drop my Oil pressure on my old 304.
    I run 55-60psi down the road.
    1982 Wagoneer Frame slowly being caged, AMC 360, Ford NP435/NP205, 35" swampers, D44 Front, AMC 20 Rear Will be upgrading to 1 tons and 42" tires once I find a Ford NP203.

Dain Bramage!

Ohh jeez... I cant get away from you can I?

Nice ta see ya Doc.

-Pat
    1984 Joop CYTJ-7 Renegade
    Locked, Spooled, Irok'd and Clocked and tucked. Twinsticks, hand throttle, weber, YJ springs, YJ brakes, HEI, hyd. clutch, winch, fuel cell, chromo shafts, custom d/s's Fully caged, among other custom crap, and Abuesd Regularly
    Comming soon : Propane Injection.

Quote Originally Posted by docthrush View Post
    Just wondering what the oil presure should be at idle for the amc 304.

Thanks
    Doc

You should be over 20 psi at a hot idle (old service manuals were horrible) no more than 70 psi at any time with the oil filter adaptor you have. If you not experiencing at least 20 psi try switching to a Wix filter (medium flow, medium filtration) The Fram filters can open up the oil filter bypass when your engine is cold (and when warm) due to their medium flow - high filtration filtering media. Double guard filters are a no no for AMC V8's 87 and older. Their are of course other ways to go like previously mentioned. I would start with the filter and run at least a 10w30 then if that doesnt help try a oil pump kit and go on from there.

100+ jeeps

Registered
    Monterey, CA, USA and Quito, Ecuador, South America

[QUOTE=jeepsr4ever;6861525]...try switching to a Wix filter (medium flow, medium filtration) The Fram filters can open up the oil filter bypass when your engine is cold (and when warm) due to their medium flow - high filtration filtering media...QUOTE]

Are K&N filters for AMC V8s any good?
    - Pablo

2013 JK Sport 6-Speed Manual
    2005 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi (wife's)
    1981 CJ-7 Laredo 360 V8

2011 JK Sahara Auto 3.8 V6 (sold)
    2003 TJ Rubicon (sold)
    2002 KJ Sport 3.7 V6 (sold)
    2000 WJ Laredo QuadraDrive 4.7V8 (sold)
    1998 TJ Sahara (sold)
    1996 XJ Sport 4.0L (sold)
    1978 CJ-7 Renegade 304 V8 (sold)
    1992 YJ Base 4.0L (sold)
    1979 CJ-7 258 inline-six (sold)

Project DOA has started

The K&N Racing Oil Filters are Kick-Ass!.. Only thing is they're normally not in-stock and they cost $$$.. But, they're top notch for any Parts store... plus I think they're rated at around 500 psi or something around that number... This is due to the thickness of the can/construction of the unit... They're filtration system is great... If I were you, if you haven't already I'd seriously look it up on-line and read about... It's Good stuff but I don't see spending that kind of money on just a filter every 2000-3000 miles or less... Mobile 1 and Purolator is all I ever use... Frams construction is weak... the material used sucks... On-line if you google long enough there is a comparison with the oil filters etc.. they have them cut in-half and you can actually see how and what they were made of... Some from Cardboard, others are of various plastics others are some sort of fiber-like material etc... Crazy Stuff.. I'll try to find it again and post it.

Project DOA has started

Wow!!! That one is 100% better than what I looked at... I looked at the ghetto version or something...