Thread: Headlight Switch Module?

Icon316 Headlight Switch Module?

My instrument panel lights are going on and off randomly. Seems to be the dashboard dimmer switch that is the cause. I was able to get them to stay on for a while by wedgeing a thin piece of plastic against the slider. Has anyone replaced it? If so, are there separate switches, or is it one big module with the headlight switch, dashboard dimmer, and in my case the rear defogger switch. should have mentioned that the headlight switch has the auto mode, off, park lights, headlights. If so, where can i get one?
    BTW, the jeep is a '97 GC.

SnaFu
    1997 Jeep GC 4.0L
    Stock

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the issue is in the stalk. I would think you could order a new stalk from a parts dealer, or try to find one from a junkyard like on www.car-part.com

That used to happen with the headlight switch stalk on Audis, and guys used to replace the whole stalk to fix the problem. (I owned two Audi's before this).

I'd try to find a wiring diagram to see how it's all setup.

| Kevin's Offroad 2.5" BB | Rubicon Express Shocks | Overland RockRails | Westin Bull Bar |
    | 255/65/17 Firestone Destinations | 1.25" Wheel Spacers | 35% Front Tint |
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

< Click for Pics > *pics are from when I had 32" Grabbers

Icon316

Quote Originally Posted by DDQ
    I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the issue is in the stalk. I would think you could order a new stalk from a parts dealer, or try to find one from a junkyard like on www.car-part.com

That used to happen with the headlight switch stalk on Audis, and guys used to replace the whole stalk to fix the problem. (I owned two Audi's before this).

I'd try to find a wiring diagram to see how it's all setup.
    Not sure what u mean by the "stalk", unless u mean the handle to make the high beams come on. If so that is not what i am refering to. My problem involves the control for the instrument panel lights. Actual headlights work fine. in the FSM it is refered to as the "outboard switch pod".
    Thanks anyway.

SnaFu

SnaFu
    1997 Jeep GC 4.0L
    Stock

Sorry man - I was thinking you had all those functions on the left stalk like on my model (meaning, the thing just like the blinker switch on the right, but on the other side). That's where my dimmer, high beams, and all that crap are.

| Kevin's Offroad 2.5" BB | Rubicon Express Shocks | Overland RockRails | Westin Bull Bar |
    | 255/65/17 Firestone Destinations | 1.25" Wheel Spacers | 35% Front Tint |
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

< Click for Pics > *pics are from when I had 32" Grabbers

This the part you're looking for?

Let me know as I have one for sale
    Black 1997 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4

Icon316

Quote Originally Posted by mitcheak
    This the part you're looking for?

Let me know as I have one for sale
    That's the one! What are u asking for it, and most importantly, does it work?
    Looks like it is cracked, is it?

How much trouble was it getting out? I'm hopeing all u have to do is take off the fake wood trim and remove the 2 screws and unplug the connector.

SnaFu
    1997 Jeep GC 4.0L
    Stock

try this link. i took it out a couple of times no big deal just kep all the screws and dont force anything out. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=747729

Icon316 Update

Got a switch from a local auto body/junk yard for $20.00.
    Put it in last Sunday without any problems. I could feel the difference in the
    slider immediatly.
    Thanks to everyone for the input.

SnaFu
    1997 Jeep GC 4.0L
    Stock