Thread: Transmission? jerking, slipping? while driving.

Registered

Icon316 Transmission? jerking, slipping? while driving.

My ZJ has started jerking while driving like it is slipping gears. It has gotten worse over time. It now does it at all speeds. Getting to be like riding a bull sometimes now. I really do hope someone out there knows what I am talking about. I am broke and have had the transmission system worked on around 4 times. The Jeep has around 130,000 miles on it. Could it be something else? Do not want to destroy whatever is not already damaged.
    '95 ZJ LTD 5.2 V8 BLK, 3" BDS lift, JKS Quick Disconnects, Surco urban roof rack powder-coated black, homemade tire rack, remote car starter, Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12”, Kicker KX400.1 Amp

Strip Mining Prevents Forest Fires

Registered

Sounds more like an ignition issue to me. Perhaps a bad crankshaft position sensor? It could also be a fuel related problem. Check those areas out before replacing the transmission. Also, scan your computer for error codes. That'll probably send you in the right direction.

Good luck,
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman023
    My ZJ has started jerking while driving like it is slipping gears. It has gotten worse over time. It now does it at all speeds. Getting to be like riding a bull sometimes now. I really do hope someone out there knows what I am talking about. I am broke and have had the transmission system worked on around 4 times. The Jeep has around 130,000 miles on it. Could it be something else? Do not want to destroy whatever is not already damaged.
    NOW: 2005 WK Rocky Mountain Ed. | Khaki / 4.7L

THEN:
    95 ZJ Laredo | 95 ZJ Orvis
    97 ZJ Laredo | 02 WJ Laredo
    88 XJ Laredo | 89 XJ Limited
    86 XJ Pioneer| 84 XJ Pioneer
    94 YJ 2.5l | 71 CJ5 Dauntless 225

Registered

Just thought of something else. When it does skip or whatever, there is No change in RPM's so that sounds like it isn't the engine or maybe the transmission. Could it be an axle or pumpkin going bad and starting to slip?
    '95 ZJ LTD 5.2 V8 BLK, 3" BDS lift, JKS Quick Disconnects, Surco urban roof rack powder-coated black, homemade tire rack, remote car starter, Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12”, Kicker KX400.1 Amp

Registered

I had the same problem with mine after I had the trans re-built. It would jerk back and fourth between 1st & 2nd only, under light throttle until it got warmed up. I took it to another shop and had them fix it (under warrenty). I'm no expert, but he said that my valve bodies were clogged. Sounds like the initial re-build was crap. Its good as new now.

Am I correct that you checked the fluid for color, smell, and consistancy?

Does it have the correct ATF fluid (not some 'universal' stuff)?

When was the last time the transmission was serviced? By whom?

What transmission does it have?
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

I would suggest you to test before you know for sure. When I put transmission in to D and press brake pedal on and same time start gas to see if its slipping or not. If its not that mean its not transmission problem. Must be something else. It could be CV joints or driveshaft.

1999 V8 4.7 Limited (Project)
    1994 V8 5.2 Limited (SOLD)
    2012 BMW X5 4.5
    2011 CLK AMG 5.5

I had that happen to my 42re. After a lot of reading and research, I replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid and it solved the problem.
    '96 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, 242 with SYE, 4.5" long arm lift, homemade FIPK, 8000# winch, custom bumpers front and rear, 33" Swampers for the trail, 33" BFG Mall-terrains for the street, Solid Axle Dana 60 rear with ARB, Auburn ECTED front, 4.56 gears, York on-board air, Kevin's Off-Road radiator support and tow point, Skid Row skid plate, cut out rockers

The '95 5.2 should have a 46RH, so no governor electronics. But it could easily be something in the mechanical governor.
    Hunter green 1994 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 42RE, NP231, D30/D35

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5
    I mean, if you had to suck it... ...whose would it be?

I'd say Michael Jackson since it is as close to a chick as you can get.

Registered

Thanx WIJeepGuy and everyone else. I took the Jeep in to have it looked at. turns out they had to redo the camshaft, replaced spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap. In the past I had the spark plugs changed and they put Bosch in. I was told the new plugs were falling apart, that they are not as good as they are supposed to be. At least it was not the transmission system. Maybe I'll get 1 mpg more than before, yeah right.