Thread: Power Steering Pump Replacement/Upgrade

Icon313 Power Steering Pump Replacement/Upgrade

1st off, the search is DOWN. Found out this morning that my power steering pump is leaking, and will need to be replaced soon. Are there any upgrades for a more heavy duty application? Is this a fairly simple install?

Aaron
    2004 Jeep WJ 470 HO. Clayton 6" Longarms.
    Aerodynamics are Overrated

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SuRf 092
    1st off, the search is DOWN.

Go to "Sub-Forums : Grand Cherokee Forums Group" and the search will work, at least mine did. Sorry i cant help out anymore, ive never done power steering pump work on the WJ.
    2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
    4.7 HO Quadradrive
    Kevin's 2.5", UC Springs, OME Stabilizer, JKS Adj Trackbar, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, Stillen Rotors and Pads
    Sold:1988 Comanche Pioneer 4x4 (Converted from 2wd)
    4.0 5-speed AX-15
    D30/D44, 33 inch Courser MT's
    5.5 RE Lift, Lots of noises, lots of sway, still love it
    Sold: 1992 Cherokee Laredo

For an upgrade you might try Valvoline's SynPower Power Steering Fluid

It flows easier, lubricates better, and runs cooler than standard power steering fluid and will make the pump quieter to boot!

It is unusual that an '04 would have an leaking pump. Have you checked to make sure all the hose connections are properly tightened and the spring clamp on the low pressure return line is secure?

Just where is the fluid leaking from?
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

I thought it was early for this part to be failing too, but it's been groaning on tight turns for a year now at least, perhaps that is normal. I'll take a closer look into it this weekend.

Regarding an upgrade, I was looking for a more heavy duty pump. I'll put one from a 3500 Ram on there if it bolts up.

Aaron

What color is the fluid and does it have a smell?

SynPower will probably quieten the pump up somewhat and might be worth a try as it only costs a few dollars a quart.

Drain he fluid from the tank and replace, drive for a few days and repeat. I did the exchange a total of 4 times to assure most of the old stuff was gone.

If your V-8 has the PS pump powered radiator fan you might need 2 quarts in order to do several exchanges.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Aaron-----> just get This one and call it a day. Will bolt right up (per PSC's recommendations when I contacted them a few months back) and can accept a ram if you get any crazier with that pavement queen of yours.

:wavzing:

You must have forgotten I have the 4.7L V8. I don't think that will fit Brian.

FWIW, changing the fliud in the reservoir will not get rid of all the old fluid, just dilute it.

I'm not all that worried about the fluid.

Has anyone replaced their PSP on a V8 WJ? How difficult is this to do?

What... do you have a special magical pump? I'd be surprised to see huge variations in flow rates for the pumps from a 4.0L, 4.7L, & the 4.7L with Aux. Hydro Cooling. I seriously doubt they're anything but nearly identical. Contact PSC and see what they say.... bet you a beer (or a fruity fru-fru drink) that they recommend the same pump as a 4.0L :bigpink:

My understanding is that when Burnsville Off-Road added hydro-cooling to Henley's rig, they did not replace the stock box on his poor '99 WJ... IIRC.

Hope it helps!

I just replaced my pump ('01 WJ 4.7L) and it was pretty easy, took less than an 1/2 hour to do. I also contacted PSC, they do NOT have a replacement box for the WJ and also said no go for a pump as well. Not sure why the WJ is so different than the ZJ/TJ setup, likely mounting is different. I have heard of people using a Durango box I believe which may have similiar mounting.
    John K (SE Pa)

Current Rig:
    '10 WK 'S' Limited - Brilliant Black
    '12 Yamaha Super Tenere

Retired Rigs:
    Last:
    '04 WJ Overland, '01 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Clayton LA Front & RK SA Rear, Trimmed fenders to fit 35" GY Tires, Kolak 3" Exhaust, Kolak Headlight harness, ARB Fr Bumper, Custom CAI, Other Stuff

Past:
    '73 IH Scout II, '78 K5 Blazer, '87 YJ, '88 YJ, '90 YJ, '90 XJ, '93 ZJ 5.2L, '00 WJ 4.7L, '94 ZJ Limited 5.2L, '01 Dodge Ram 5.9L, '03 Dodge Ram QC 5.9L

Default TSB

Surf,

You may not have to replace your pump there is TSB discribing a whining pump when turning, a quick adjustment to the inlet and outlet should fix it rihgt up.

1900203 - POWER STEERING MOAN OR WHINE-LIKE SOUND WHEN TURNING
    Date: 2/28/03

Model Year(s): 2002-2003

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO DOMESTIC GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.7L OR 4.7L H.O. ENGINE (SALES CODES EVA OR EVC) AND BUILT PRIOR TO NOVEMBER 15, 2002, AND DOMESTIC VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE (SALES CODE ERH) AND BUILT PRIOR TO FEBRUARY 12, 2003.

Details: The customer while driving may experience a moan or whine-like sound when turning. The condition may occur when either a left or right turn is made.

Diagnosis:
    1. With the transmission in park and the parking brake set, start the vehicle engine.
    2. Slowly turn the steering wheel in one direction and then in the other direction.
    3. If a loud moan or whine-like sound occurs during step 2, inspect the low pressure outlet hose and high pressure inlet hose for possible hose contact in the area of the steering gear assembly. See Figure 1.
    4. If hose contact is present between the low and high pressure power steering hoses, perform the Repair Procedure.

Repair Procedure:
    1. Clean the top of the power steering gear assembly where the hose connections are located.
    2. Slightly loosen the low and high pressure power steering hoses at their connection to the power steering gear assembly.
    3. See Figure 1. Position each hose so that no contact between the two hoses is present. Maintain a minimum distance of 3.2 mm (0.125 inches) between the two hoses. Do not separate the two hoses too far or possible hose contact with other vehicle components (i.e. air box snorkel) may occur.
    4. Tighten both hose connections to 22.5 Nm (17 ft. lbs.).

John

Thanks for the info SoCal. Unfortunately my WJ is long out of warranty, so I would have to pay for any TSB's. I will have that looked into if there is still a whine after installing the new pump.

Brian, I need a new pump, not the box.

If you search under my name you will find that I am on PSP # 4.

I bought one from PSC out of TX and it was not the exact same even though they are made by the same manufacturer. Are you sure its the pump leaking?
    I would be willing to bet the hose is not seated and has to be replaced.

PM me for more details.

Kevin

I'm not exactly sure what's leaking. The fluid is brown, I don't think it has an odor. I first noticed it dripping from the bottom of my oil filter so I took it to the dealer to see what was wrong and they told me it needed a new pump and the hose that goes to the fan. Now I"m getting a pop when I turn the wheel in either direction. So now maybe my steering box is going.

What happened here SuRF? i just got my Jeep inspected and they said my box was going. Mine is hard to turn to the right at low RPM's. Most of the results on this board indicate either the pump or the lines, and not the box (especially since if i up the rpm, the problem goes away). FWIW, I have NO leaks.

Curious what ended up happening...
    Tech Writeups and more...
    2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Sorry, old pics
    IRO 3" Springs | 3/4" KOR Sp | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos & Trackbar | Dual Stabs | Addco Rear SB & IRO Links | Clayton LA Front Half | IRO Adj Rear LCA & A-Arm | Spidertrax Spacers | Baer Decela Rotors w/EBC Green Pads | Akebono Calipers | 265/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac on JK 17's | K&N Drop in | Borla Cat-back | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg | Cobra CB & Wilson whip | OEM Tow Hooks F/R | 04 Lower Dash & Grille | Aftermarket Headlights | Deambered Tails | Husky Liners

Actually, the 4.7 power steering pump on a system equipped with hydraulic fan has a greater flow rate by quite a bit. It totally pegs out the line pressure tool issued by DC to test flow rates on previous power steering pumps on systems that were not equipped with the hydraulic fan.
    WK2 Limited

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SuRf 092 View Post
    I'm not all that worried about the fluid.

Has anyone replaced their PSP on a V8 WJ? How difficult is this to do?
    Not difficult at all.I replaced mine this past summer (4.0).Then at Moab(GSW)I helped a fellow jeeper replace his on his 4.7,just as easy as my 4.0.
    01WJ 6" locked with some doo dads running on 33's MTR kevlars

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gtx510 View Post
    FWIW, changing the fliud in the reservoir will not get rid of all the old fluid, just dilute it.
    True, you will need to remove the low pressure return line and catch the old fluid as it is pumped from the system.(Almost a quart in ~ 5 seconds) Very tricky as new fluid needs to be quickly replaced into the reservoir before the pump runs dry. And for those of us who feel changing the fluid is somehow? an upgrade?? Redline makes a synthetic PS fluid that meets DC specs and is superior to Valvoline Synpower PS fluid. Although pricey.

I ended up taking it to the dealer and let them fix it. I didn't have the time to mess with it, as with everything else on the WJ lately.