Thread: Death wobble at 50-55 mph only??

Registered

Default Death wobble at 50-55 mph only??

I have a 1999 jeep classic bone stock 113k miles. recently it developed this habit of violently (and i mean violent) shake back and forth only at speeds of 50 to 55. The only way to stop it is to accelerate or slow down. Now I have read the sticky on the death wobble. This sounds like its it. Any advice on where to start?? Thanks
    1999 Cherokee Classic 4.5 Rough Country Series X Lift

check your wheel bearings....mine did the same thing....new wheel bearings and an alignment and its gone...

bad track bar, bad control arm bushings, alignment out of spec, tires out of round and or balance, bad steering stabilizer, could cause all this.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Lightbulb

85 to 90% of the time if your not lifted and it is speed related especially at 55 for some reason, its the wheels are out of balance or you have a belt slipped in one of your front tires. get the wheels balanced and an alighment and more than likely it will go away. Good Luck
    IT'S A JEEP THING AND WE DO UNDERSTAND!!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ'ing
    85 to 90% of the time if your not lifted and it is speed related especially at 55 for some reason, its the wheels are out of balance or you have a belt slipped in one of your front tires. get the wheels balanced and an alighment and more than likely it will go away. Good Luck
    x2

same thing happened to me at 63-65 mph, didnt have any money to get it balanced or get new tires so i just left it and saved gas at the same time by not goin over 55. well got new tires gave the old one to girlfriends dad and he had them aligned and balanced...still same problem. turns out one of the tires was bad. it was a cheepy second hand tire. so yeah it could be that you have a bad tire.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoXJ
    x2
    X3

I had exactly the same thing some shakes between 50-55 mph. I've got free tires. They were worn out unevenly so nobody could balance them. If I drove faster vibration went away. Changed tires and balance then and it's fine.

BTW if it was Death Wobble you would know without any doubt in your mind that this is it. Death Wobble = Jeep starts to shake like crazzy + you think it will explode any second + you start wandering if you going to die. Yes, it's that scary. 2nd time it's not much better. And it could happen at almost any speed. A lot of times happens when you hit the pathole.
    Voytek
    '96 Cherokee XJ: RE 5.5", locked, 4.56 gears, HD bumpers, 33x12.50x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers
    '79 CJ for parts

50-55 is tires/wheels. Its happened 2x on both my XJs and thats the answer everytime.
    Cancer and Luekemia suck, yeah I know.

My story:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/zachmc

Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    bad track bar, bad control arm bushings, alignment out of spec, tires out of round and or balance, bad steering stabilizer, could cause all this.
    LOL at bold^ I don't even run a stabilizer and its a cover up anyways.
    Cancer and Luekemia suck, yeah I know.

My story:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/zachmc

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by 99XJCLASSIC
    I have a 1999 jeep classic bone stock 113k miles. recently it developed this habit of violently (and i mean violent) shake back and forth only at speeds of 50 to 55. The only way to stop it is to accelerate or slow down. Now I have read the sticky on the death wobble. This sounds like its it. Any advice on where to start?? Thanks
    i had the same problem with 2"bb and 30's.
    all i did was get my front end aligned and got 31's because i had nails in the old tires. no more wobble and everything is dandy.

2"BB, 31x10.50x15, Dynomax Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by 99XJCLASSIC
    I had no idea until now that this was a common problem!

Mine only occurred at highway speeds after hitting a bump in the road, and didn't happen very often. Later, I found loose suspension bolts when doing my brakes. Sorry, can't remember which bolts exactly. But I tightened them and the problem never occurred again.

Registered

Hey guys I just wanted to let everybody know that it was my tires/rims out of balance. Thanks for the help
    1999 Cherokee Classic 4.5 Rough Country Series X Lift

Richmond, VA - Former Capital of the Confederacy.

Quote Originally Posted by 99XJCLASSIC View Post
    Who would have thought???
    Most of Us !!!!!
    '92 XJ Laredo - 3" HillBilly Lift - Dakota Leafs & ZJ coils w/ Second Hand 31's
    My Bike Has No Soul
    Former "Soulless Bike" Owners Club - Member #1