Thread: Front output spline count.

Registered

Default Front output spline count.

What is the spline count supposed to be on the FRONT output shaft of an XJ transfercase. Does it depend on whether it has a 231 or 242, and does it change with model year? How about TJ's and YJ's?

My NP242 has a 32 spline front output, are NP231's the same?
    99 Cherokee Sport, NP231HD, Lifted, 4.56's, Locked F/R, Armored, 33's.
    07 Ram

http://www.drivetrain.com/transferca...AND%20CHEROKEE

Try that link - it's a site that sells parts but MIGHT have the spline counts there. I "think" that the yokes for the front outputs have the same spline counts but you need to check with a parts dealer to confirm that.

Might be some info on my spline count page but that's primarily to determine tranny to transfer case compatibility.
    http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...nformation.htm

There's a downloadable file there too, & on download page for a transfer case identification brochure that may help - dunno, have to go back and look at it closer. HTH
    "...the advice given above is somewhat arrogant and in some cases wrong..." . (I'm not an expert... I just play one on the internet.)

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website. _____________ Sure you're smart... but do you have what it takes to make "The List"?

1990 XJ

The front output on a 231 is the same as a D44's, a D30's, and both outputs of a D300 T-case = 26 spline.

That's what I thought from picking us some stuff to swap around with a D300 I have but wasn't sure & didn't want to guess at it from memory.

Thanks for the memory jolt - it's like Homer Simpson said "Every time I learn something new it pushes something old out."
    "...the advice given above is somewhat arrogant and in some cases wrong..." . (I'm not an expert... I just play one on the internet.)

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website. _____________ Sure you're smart... but do you have what it takes to make "The List"?

1990 XJ