Thread: 4 Wheel Drive Shift Linkage is broken . . . v.Easy Fix?

Registered
    Los Altos Hills, HOME / San Diego, SCHOOL

Default 4 Wheel Drive Shift Linkage is broken . . . v.Easy Fix?

I found myself stuck in some sand in Los Cabos, and as I went to shift into 4WLO I heard a click noise and then it didn't engage. I took a look under the jeep and the piece that connects to the transmission has slipped out, but I can't seem to get it to go back in. Is there a quick fix for this? Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I tried wiggling it a little bit to see if I could shimmy it back into its hole, but it just didnt seem to be able to "bend" to get back in the hole. Sigh, anything I can do or a trick to get it back into there?

Thanx in advance
    '01 TJ 2.5L 4-Banger[*] 33 x 12.5 BFG MT's[*] S3T Lift[*] Other misc mods: rearview mirror relocation, seat moved back 5"

Registered

15 views and no ideas ? The thing is just disconnected from the transmission, but I'm not sure how to put it back in. I don't want to force it and then something break
    '01 TJ 2.5L 4-Banger[*] 33 x 12.5 BFG MT's[*] S3T Lift[*] Other misc mods: rearview mirror relocation, seat moved back 5"

Are you talking about the little piece that has a male end that goes into a hole in the piece of linkage and around the whole there is a heavy plastic bushing?

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_C
    Are you talking about the little piece that has a male end that goes into a hole in the piece of linkage and around the whole there is a heavy plastic bushing?

Its a male end that goes into some kind of linkage that is right by the transmission ... the whole linkage system from the lever down to the transmission is still in place, just the male end that terminates it into the transmission popped out somehow.... i see no plastic down there :/

Pringle Fab

There should be a white cap that is connected to the cable that goes over the male piece. If it broke off, I am sure you can get another one at the dealership.
    Chip MacLaughlin
    Pringle Fab
    chip@pringlefab.com
    832-813-9055
    Spring, TX

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by iispms
    There should be a white cap that is connected to the cable that goes over the male piece. If it broke off, I am sure you can get another one at the dealership.
    Hmmm I am in Los Cabos, no Jeep dealerships here Just alot of rental units . . . But it is the male end at the end of the whole linkage that goes into a metal piece that has a hole in it for the male end that goes directly to the transmission

It'll go back in, mine has slipped out a few times in the past. The bracket that holds the piece you're talking about is attached to the bottom of the tub, just across from where the end slips into the transfer case. It's held on by two nuts. Just crawl under there, loosen em, and you should be able to manuver it back in place. You may also need to loosen the adjustment nut on the shaft of the linkage, but it'll go.
    I know it sounds confusing... 'specialy with no pics, but I'm at work with no access to a camera. If you get under there and look, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out

Yeah it is just kinda a pain to get that p[art in, but it will go. It sounds like maybe the white plastic bushing is missing. If it is gone it will probably fall out again.

My bushing fell out years ago (97XJ/NP231) and it was a bitch to get engaged/disengaged properly. Crawling under a Jeep in 6 inches of slushy snow sucks.

I cut a piece of bubber hose and rigged a new bushing out of that. It's held for at least 5 years. It's still loose, but works ok.
    ----------------------------------
    97 XJ cop pkg 6cyl/auto/242/D35 w/LSD 41.6k as of 11/08

The t-case linkage does not connect to the transmission.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner
    The t-case linkage does not connect to the transmission.
    No, but the inside pivot point is bolted on the side of the tranny.
    '48 Willys Pickup..........Sorta..........

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Edge
    No, but the inside pivot point is bolted on the side of the tranny.
    The inside pivot rests in a depression with a small plastic bushing. IIRC, the linkage has a square male end on it that fits into the female bushing. If this is the problem, you need to get the two oriented correctly for the linkage to seat correctly. I believe the original question is relating to the linkage itself and not the pivot but the OP honestly is not very clear. Perhaps a pic would help.

Also, just realized this thread is over 2 mos old.

Registered

The inside pivot rests in a depression with a small plastic bushing.
    I just realized we are talking about a 4-banger. I'm not sure what they look like. My '00 has a metal bracket with a rubber bushing. The metal bracket attaches to the studs in the front of the 231.

I just realized we are talking about a 4-banger. I'm not sure what they look like. My '00 has a metal bracket with a rubber bushing. The metal bracket attaches to the studs in the front of the 231.
    The metal bracket with rubber bushing that I had was bolted to the body, not the drivetrain.

Registered

The metal bracket with rubber bushing that I had was bolted to the body, not the drivetrain.
    Nope. The body side is a metal bracket mounted to the drivers side of the tub with 4 small bolts. There is a small metal plate attached to this bracket that has a bronze bushing. The pivot for the shifter linkage slides through this bronze bushing. The other end of the pivot snaps into the rubber bushing I mentioned above.

Nope. The body side is a metal bracket mounted to the drivers side of the tub with 4 small bolts. There is a small metal plate attached to this bracket that has a bronze bushing. The pivot for the shifter linkage slides through this bronze bushing. The other end of the pivot snaps into the rubber bushing I mentioned above.
    There's a rubber bushing also on the 2 sets of linkage I've tinkered with.

Registered

There's a rubber bushing also on the 2 sets of linkage I've tinkered with.
    I'm taking your word for that. I've never seen a TJ that had a rubber bushing on the tub side of the linkage.

lube up the hole and jam it in there with some vice grips, lol.