Thread: 5.7L HEMI Oil Change Guide?

Default 5.7L HEMI Oil Change Guide?

Okay, so I'll admit I'm a newb at oil changing...the WK is my first "real" vehicle in which I didn't either take it somewhere for an oil change or have some help.

I've heard the HEMI engine is different due to the filter placement or something. Is there some sort of guide (text or pictures) to changing the oil in the HEMI engine?

A list of the things I'd need to do it myself?

With an engine this specialized/complicated, I'm a bit weary of just taking it to any ole "Jiffy Lube" and don't want to pay the crazy prices a dealership wants to change it. Any tips would be great
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    5.7L HEMI | Inferno Red | NAV/SAT | Off Road Pkg. | Cust. Pref. Pkg. | Mopar iPod Adapter

Go Wolfpack!

Registered

Great topic. I just want to add that my dealer gave me all kinds of smack for doing oil changes outside the dealership. They say the Hemi requires an oil additive that is only available at the Dealer.

Is there any truth to this? They said the warranty could be voided for not having the additive....

Registered

D-C usually specifically recommends that no additives be put into their engines. If you use a high quality, proper weight oil, as recommended in their owners manual, you should have no lubrication or operations issues.

Recommend that you keep your receipts for oil purchase so you can make your case in the event a warranty issue arises.

As a side note, most of the dealership prices for oil changes and routine maintenance have come down to meet the market. Call around for prices, you might be surprised. :pablo:

Registered

You shouldn't even need to Jack the jeep up to do the change. Nor do you need to remove any skid plates etc.

1. Remove drain plug and drain oil into suitable container (7 qts in the Hemi)
    2. Replace drain plug, do not over tighten.
    3. Remove oil filter - easiest way to get the oil filter off is to get a cap style (one that goes on the end of the filter and can be turned by a 3/8" drive socket wrench) oil filter wrench.
    4. Lube new oil filter with oil on the o-ring (use your finger). I use new oil, but the used oil can be used, it's just so the o-ring doesn't bind.
    5. Replace oil filter, do not overtighten.
    6. Fill with 7 qts of 5W-20. Do not use any other viscosity as 5W-20 must be used to retain the MDS function. I use Mobil 1 5W-20, but your choice. I usually stop at 6.5 qts, let the oil drain down into the sump and check with a dipstick so I can add oil exactly to the fill mark. Once you do that once, you'll know how much oil to add. It's pretty close to 7 qts, but overfilling is hard on the emissions controls.

Hope this helps.
    05 GC Limited Hemi, Blue/Khaki, everything except Side Airbags.
    Added Cabin Air Filter, Splash Guards, Sill Plates and Hemi Badge

^ Thanks for the tips!

Where did you purchase your oil filter remover? I want to make sure I get one that'll reach and actually do a good/easy job removing the filter.

And w/ the Mobil 1 synthetic, do you change your oil every 5,000 miles? More or less?
    5.7L HEMI | Inferno Red | NAV/SAT | Off Road Pkg. | Cust. Pref. Pkg. | Mopar iPod Adapter

Go Wolfpack!

Registered

Either that or get a K&N oil filter which has a 1" drive nut on the end. Had the dealer loosen the original so I could get it off easier. You can also pick up a cup end style oil wrench at any Walmart/auto parts store.

95 Laredo, 3" skyjacker lift, nitro shocks, 31" super swampers, K&N filter, Mopar HPCM,gibson cat-back,5+ grand stereo

06 Overland, Mopar roof basket, K&N FIPK 63 series, waiting patiently for more products, I hate it when that happens

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw1227
    ^ Thanks for the tips!

Where did you purchase your oil filter remover? I want to make sure I get one that'll reach and actually do a good/easy job removing the filter.

And w/ the Mobil 1 synthetic, do you change your oil every 5,000 miles? More or less?
    The manual recomends a change ever 3K miles or every 3 months, whichever comes first.
    '06 HEMI Jeep Picture
    '99 P74 Crown Victoria Picture
    '87 Firebird Picture

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIJeep
    The manual recomends a change ever 3K miles or every 3 months, whichever comes first.
    I know, but Mobil 1 synethic makes their oil to last 5,000 or more miles. It costs more so you change it less often.

Go Wolfpack!

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw1227
    I know, but Mobil 1 synethic makes their oil to last 5,000 or more miles. It costs more so you change it less often.
    I know, I use M1 too, but I don't know these engine very well yet, so for me it's going to be ever 3 months... for now.
    '06 HEMI Jeep Picture
    '99 P74 Crown Victoria Picture
    '87 Firebird Picture

Lightbulb

The manual recommends changing the engine oil in the 5.7 Hemi every 6 months or 6,000 miles (whichever comes first) unless you operate the vehicle in "severe service", then you should follow Schedule B, which cuts the interval in half.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

Registered

I bought the filter wrench at autozone. It was a generic brand and they had 4 sizes, it was a size D. Get a filter to try it out with while you're there.

I am running on the schedule 'A' for oil changes but B for everything else. 3k changes IMHO are overkill with a synthetic. If you expect to have oil related engine trouble in warranty, it might be worth doing the 3k changes and running cheaper 5W-20. As I understand it all 5W-20s are at least semi-synth. In any case document what you are doing so you can use it down the road if need be.
    05 GC Limited Hemi, Blue/Khaki, everything except Side Airbags.
    Added Cabin Air Filter, Splash Guards, Sill Plates and Hemi Badge

Get the filter and wrench at like Autozone. Get a good filter, like Purolator PureOne or Mobil 1. Just take the filter out of the box and then go size up the filter wrenches. They are right..get the one that goes on the end of a 3/8" ratchet.

The hard part is finding the oil filter, and I'm not kidding. It is on the FRONT of the engine just behind the front bumper. Put in 7 quarts of 5W-20. Nothing else. I use Mobil 1 and go 6K miles but we're going to put 50K miles/year on the Commander so I want it to last.

What does everyone else's dipstick read? With 7 quarts and a new filter I'm just barely above Add. It never burns any..but it looks to be 1/2 quart low.
    '04 Rubicon | JKS Arms | TeraFlex 4" Springs | ORO SwayLoc | 33x12.5x15 MTRs | 15x8 Streetlock Rims | AEV Rockers | ARB Winch Bumper | Warn XD9000i | Tom Woods DS | Nth Degree TT, Stinger, & Oil Skid | Offroad-Technology Rear Bumper | Alumi-Flex Tie Rod

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie
    Get the filter and wrench at like Autozone. Get a good filter, like Purolator PureOne or Mobil 1. Just take the filter out of the box and then go size up the filter wrenches. They are right..get the one that goes on the end of a 3/8" ratchet.

The hard part is finding the oil filter, and I'm not kidding. It is on the FRONT of the engine just behind the front bumper. Put in 7 quarts of 5W-20. Nothing else. I use Mobil 1 and go 6K miles but we're going to put 50K miles/year on the Commander so I want it to last.

What does everyone else's dipstick read? With 7 quarts and a new filter I'm just barely above Add. It never burns any..but it looks to be 1/2 quart low.

Posted a topic on this issue several months ago. In fact, the Hemi in the Jeep takes 7 1/2 quarts, not 7 as the manual states.
    '12 WK Ltd. Trailer tow group, 730N Media Center, 20 in. Wheels.

Previous Jeeps:
    86CJ7, 95YJ, 96XJ, 98ZJ TSi, '00XJ, '05 Wk Ltd.
    '02 Liberty Ltd. '01 WJ Ltd. And, if it counts, my father had a 1948 Willys.

Registered

I've changed my own oil 3 times already and everytime it's taken exactly 7 quarts. It's actually over-filled until I start the engine and run it for a few seconds, then the level is right on the full line. Must be a level thing cause my garage is pretty level.

95 Laredo, 3" skyjacker lift, nitro shocks, 31" super swampers, K&N filter, Mopar HPCM,gibson cat-back,5+ grand stereo

06 Overland, Mopar roof basket, K&N FIPK 63 series, waiting patiently for more products, I hate it when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by copperlap
    I've changed my own oil 3 times already and everytime it's taken exactly 7 quarts. It's actually over-filled until I start the engine and run it for a few seconds, then the level is right on the full line. Must be a level thing cause my garage is pretty level.

Do you have the Hemi?
    '12 WK Ltd. Trailer tow group, 730N Media Center, 20 in. Wheels.

Previous Jeeps:
    86CJ7, 95YJ, 96XJ, 98ZJ TSi, '00XJ, '05 Wk Ltd.
    '02 Liberty Ltd. '01 WJ Ltd. And, if it counts, my father had a 1948 Willys.

Registered

Do yourselves a favor and don't use the oil filter wrench to tighten it back on the motor. You will overtighten it. 3/4 of a turn past when it won't spin freely is perfect. After you do it yourself by hand, you can also remove it by hand after cleaning the debris off it. I use a paper towel for more grip and haven't had a problem.

As for the special dealer additive, they're feeding you b.s. The Hemi doesn't require any special oil additive. I'd be highly skeptical about a dealership feeding you that line. Mobil 1 is a very high quality oil and does not require any other products, aside from a clean filter every time.

If I had a Hemi, i'd change it once every 6 months with Mobil 1. During break-in period, once at 500, once at 1,500, once at 3,000, then every 6 months after that.