Thread: How do you prime a grease gun?

Default How do you prime a grease gun?

Everytime, I change my tube, I run into this problem.
    Is there an easy way to prime a grease gun?
    I've pumped and pumped, with the handle open, with it closed, only with it open on the down pump.
    I've tried almost everything, but no grease.
    Usually, I give up and a day later or so after pumping and pumping, I get it.

This can't be the right way, can it?

Jeff
    05 Unlimited Rubicon (LJ), slightly modified by clayton

I remove the tube/hose from the head of the grease gun to pump the grease past the check valve. Then reinstall it. Works for me…
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Get a better grease gun. I had that trouble with my Harbor Frieght special, but my Car Quest grease gun pumps right up every time.

2001 Sport, 2" BB, Old Man Emu shocks, 33x10.50's, some stereo stuff

TJHardcore.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
    I remove the tube/hose from the head of the grease gun to pump the grease past the check valve. Then reinstall it. Works for me…

Thanks for the heads up... I've always fought with my pos.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

I will have to try that. I always have the same problem TJeff has.
    Jeff Niwa
    98 TJ Sport, Trac Loc, 3" Teraflex System, 1" BL, 33x12.5 Stampeder MTs on AR767's. BFG AT KO's, Tomken Gas Skid, California Soft Top, Bosch H4 headlight upgrades w/ 55/65watt bulbs + all sorts of other lighting, tow strap, first aid kit, Durabaked interior, Cobra 75 CB w/ 5' Wilson Antenna, Rusty Oil Pan skid, Husky floor liners, hand throttle,and fire extinguisher.
    PurpleTJ's Website

there is usually a bleed screw at the top of the grease gun. loosen the screw to release any trapped air. once grease starts to ooze out of the bleeder hole, tighten the screw back down. you should be good to go at that point.

good luck.

Registered

Typically, you first insert the magazine, release the safety, and pull the bolt back to load the first round into the chamber.

(And before someone tells me that's all backwards and I'm liable to shoot my own foot off, the safety on a grease gun locks the bolt so it can't move.)
    2004 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition (silver with a black hard top)
    4.0L, Dana 44, 3.73, Trac-Lok, 31 inch tires, automatic
    If the sun is shining the top is off

Both of mine (flex hose and hardline) have a spring-loaded bleeder valve on the top, so it's just a matter of making sure that it's depressed when you first load the cartridge. From time to time I'll get an air pocket in a grease tube, and will have to re-seat the main tube pressure plate (again, with the bleeder valve depressed to release the trapped air).

If you store the guns upside down it'll help keep them from forming air pockets....especially when the main spring begins to 'get tired'.
    '05 Unlimited Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by haddonTJ
    there is usually a bleed screw at the top of the grease gun. loosen the screw to release any trapped air. once grease starts to ooze out of the bleeder hole, tighten the screw back down. you should be good to go at that point.

good luck.

Thanks, That did it.
    I heard a puff of air come out that was trapped by the screw.
    After that, the grease started to flow.
    Thanks again.

Jeff
    05 Unlimited Rubicon (LJ), slightly modified by clayton