Thread: Big Daddy HD Steering Shaft?

Default Big Daddy HD Steering Shaft?

The lower "rag joint" on my stock steering shaft has about had it. It is pretty loose, and even "pops" as it turns. So, what to replace it with????

Since the rest of the shaft is fine, should I just replace the lower joint? That's nice and cheap....

Discount Jeep Parts has the Big Daddy HD steering shaft for $154. That's not much more than a replacement stock shaft.

The Borgson and Flaming River shafts are nice, but wow, that's a lot of $$$$.

If folks have positive comments on the Big Daddy stuff, I may just go with that, and get rid of the "rag joint".
    Ryan
    '80 CJ-7 - left stock behind a long time ago...
    http://www.jpfrog.org
    JPFrog Offroaders

I'm 100% satisfied with the BigDaddy's steering box mount and old stubby front bumper. I didnt even know they made a steering shaft...
    Just found it... http://www.goferitoffroad.com/other_products.htm
    '77 CJ-7 Renegade, Mopar MPI, T18/D20, 4.10 M20 No-Slip, D30 Lockright, Skyjacker 4", Warn HS9500i
    '99 XJ Classic mall crawler, 3" Rusty's lift, 31x10. BFG ATs
    '95 XJ #666 ECORS racerig
    '98 Cummins Ram 2500 Quadcab 4x4 towrig

Let me guess... you notice it more now with the 36" IROKS. :jammin:
    84 CJ-8 Project,99 XJ

I'm sure it was CAUSED by the new IROKS! The steering has always been loose. I just thought a CJ was supposed to wonder all over the road!

Now that everything else is new (gearbox, tie-rod, draglink, etc...), it is pretty obvious what is worn out. I have the Big Daddy bracket as well, and it is BEEF! The extra 5/8" bolt pretty much immoblizes the steering box.

BTW: can the lower steering shaft joint actually fail? I"m not going to get it fixed before the weekend, but I *will* be wheeling on Saturday! What's the worst that can happen?

Off topic: hey, Andy.. .you got tow hooks on the XJ yet? You'll need them this weekend!
    Ryan
    JPFrog Offroaders

Forum Leader

You can get replacement bell coupler parts (CJ's use a bell coupler, not a rag joint) from 4WD Hardware if you don't want to swap into a different steering shaft.

A picture of a short shaft with a bell coupler on the left end and a rag joint on the right end:

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector
    I *will* be wheeling on Saturday! What's the worst that can happen?
    Knock on wood. You of all people shouldn't ask that question! Are you bringing your trailer? Really though, I think you'll be fine.

Off topic: hey, Andy.. .you got tow hooks on the XJ yet? You'll need them this weekend!
    Stop tempting me... must... not... wheel... XJ... AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Edit: HaHa I look just like you now!
    84 CJ-8 Project,99 XJ

yeah, I assume the *bell coupler* (got it right this time) will hold together for one more outing.

I still haven't decided whether to just replace the stock coupling, or "upgrade" to a shaft with u-joints on both ends. Are the u-joints that much better, or will a rebuilt stock shaft hold up for another 20+ years?

For those wanting to know the vehicle specifics:
    PSC power steering gearbox and hi-volume pump, stock pitman arm, SOA w/ high steer arms, big a** tie-rod and drag link, all turning 36x13.50 IROKS. So there is a bit of extra stress on the steering....

Andy: Its not *really* wheeling this weekend. It is a trail cleanup.... and wheeling....
    Ryan
    JPFrog Offroaders

If you decide to do it let me watch/help, cuz I need one too.
    84 CJ-8 Project,99 XJ