Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Jeep GC rough Idle

Registered

Default 1997 Jeep GC rough Idle

I have a 1997 jeep Grand Cherokee with 200,000 miles on it with the 5.2 liter V8. Heres the problem Im having.
    It will barely idle and often stalls when im in gear and have my foot on the brake. Addtionally it feels like it is missing from idle to about 1700 rpm then it smooths out and feels fine. I have replaced cap, rotor, wires, and coil. Anyone have any suggestions on what might this be.

Thanks
    Russ

clean the throttle body and IAC. did wonders for me
    1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander "Project Miami Heat" 2.5L 4Banger 4" Rough country lift, Hercluined tub, 31" BFG Mud Terrains

For mine cleaning the TB was the answer. I bought some Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. It is good stuff. I picked it up from the dealer ship. I want to say it was right around $6. It is simple to use. You have the jeep running, take the air hat off of the TB and spray this stuff directly into the TB. Following the directions you should use an entire can. I have had to do this 2 times on my 97 and both times the Idle has returned to normal.
    1997 JGC Laredo 5.2
    Imco Turbo Exhaust
    31' All Terrain Tires (Shaved Front Facia)

2" RE Budget Boost
    ES9000 Procomp Shocks

Registered

I cleaned the TB and Iac really well, and I think it helped a little but it is still idles low and feels very rough. one thing I onticed though is the IAC doesn't move freely in and out, is it suppose to? Does anybody know a way to test the TPS?

Thanks
    Russ

Someone please reply to this.. this is along the lines of my problem too..
    96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0l, str8 6.

So far i've changed: TPS, CPS, Dist. cap, Plugs, Wires, Fuel filter (twice), Clean TB (spotless), Clean IAC, Checked all connections, all grounds, all cables, all fittings, all every$%&*'in thing. And guess what.. another 30 minute stall at a gas station. Yay! :spinhead:

replace IAC

replace TPS if that does not work
    WHEELeR
    XJ

the iac shouldnt move freely its on a worm drive and shoudnt be forced. if it does move freely you probably need a new one. i have an extra Iac and Tps both are slightly used but worked when they came out of the 5.2. pm if you want them with an offer.
    1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander "Project Miami Heat" 2.5L 4Banger 4" Rough country lift, Hercluined tub, 31" BFG Mud Terrains

Registered

I replaced the Iac and I think it helped a little but it is still idles rough and low (when in gear the tach is at the first hash on the tach). Now I'm getting code 31 "Bad evaporator purge solenoid circuit or driver." I think I'll replace the TPS tomorrow and see what that does.

I already replaced the TPS and cleaned the IAC/tb. I'm putting it back together after fixing a exhaust/intake leak and that should help the vaccuum problem a little. My jeep runs perfect for a day then when i go to start it the next day after 30 seconds it'll shut off and more than likely won't crank back up. I don't know WTF is wrong! Anyone know if my IAC is bad and when that makes the rpm's drop the vaccuum leaks lets the engine stall? Anyone?

So far i've changed: TPS, CPS, Dist. cap, Plugs, Wires, Fuel filter (twice), Clean TB (spotless), Clean IAC, Checked all connections, all grounds, all cables, all fittings, all every$%&*'in thing. And guess what.. another 30 minute stall at a gas station. Yay! :spinhead:

have alternator and battery tested
    WHEELeR
    XJ

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor4439
    Anyone know if my IAC is bad and when that makes the rpm's drop the vaccuum leaks lets the engine stall? Anyone?
    well first of all if it is bad and it locks open it wouldnt stall it would rev. but if its bad and it locks itself in the closed poistion it would cause the car to choke and stall.when you cleaned the Iac did you lightly wipe t with a rag that had throttle body cleaner on it or did you spray it all over the IAC. i have heard that has killed them before also if you pulled on the pintle you could cause the worm drive to fail. so its possible that is why its stalling.

Registered

Well i added some seafoam to my gas tank and the miss went away for about 30 minutes so I think I have dirty injectors.

Icon316

Quote Originally Posted by Raven77
    well first of all if it is bad and it locks open it wouldnt stall it would rev. but if its bad and it locks itself in the closed poistion it would cause the car to choke and stall.when you cleaned the Iac did you lightly wipe t with a rag that had throttle body cleaner on it or did you spray it all over the IAC. i have heard that has killed them before also if you pulled on the pintle you could cause the worm drive to fail. so its possible that is why its stalling.
    Woah dude thanks for that response.. I just took my jeep for a drive after putting it back together and it ran almost perfect.. and it had a succulant distinct whistle from the holes I cut in the airbox But when I took it down the road it acceled decent.. then the RPMS dropped while my foot was still on the gas and it didn't sputter.. just a loss of power then it went back up and repeated again. After that 5 second episode it went right along like nothing happened. When I got it home it gave me these codes:

P0012

A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

P0022

A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

SOOO.. I -guess- it's telling me my cam is over retarded? :loopyeye:

Is there a sensor that sends the cam info to the computer or is it physically retarded!? Someone help me out here

ya thre is a camshaft sensor. if you have a 5.2 its on the passenger side. if your looking at the cap go toawrd the passenger side and down and the sensor should be right there. hope that helps

I have the 4.0, where would it be on that? And would the sensor be the only thing that's causing that code to be thrown? I am -very- tight on money here

i dont own a 4.0 so i dont know. as for being the solution to the problem it very well could be but i cant say with 100% certainty

Registered

Next thing I'd try to cure your intermittant problem would be the ignition coil. These cause some weird intermittant problems when they go bad and are pretty cheap as experiments go.

Good Luck to You,

D.J.
    '93 ZJ 4.0L Laredo, Stock &
    '02 WJ 4.0L Limited, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJeepers
    Next thing I'd try to cure your intermittant problem would be the ignition coil. These cause some weird intermittant problems when they go bad and are pretty cheap as experiments go.

Good Luck to You,

D.J.
    Either Raven or Double can I get your AIM address if you have one? I really need to speak with ya. And about the ignition coil that's already been replaced a couple of weeks ago. On the way home from work today the jeep did flawless.. it idled perfect but it felt like the engine was trying to stall out.. so it kept me on my toes the whole way home. Also if you listen near the exhaust you can tell that it's off rhythm kinda.. like it's misfiring or something. I put in a cheap CPS sensor so that might be the culprit.. dunno.

Raven - are you talking about the sensor that's mounted in the bellhousing? That's the crank position sensor, not the cam position sensor. The cam position sensor is inside the distributer under the rotor on both the 4.0 and the V8. Takes only a couple minutes to replace.

The crank position sensor on the I6 is on the top of the bellhousing toward the driver's side. Some have complained that it's difficult to replace, but I didn't find it all that hard - you're just doing it blind. An inspection mirror will help you see the bolt that holds it in place.

Icon316

Ok this might help some, This clip was taken about 2 feet away from the end of the exhaust.. everything's stock cept a little 'exhuast' and intake work. Everything's stock though. 4.0l straight six.. this is after I changed out the leaky intake/exhaust gasket. When I first cranked the engine after changing the gasket before I even cranked it, it was throwing a code for the cam out of spec.. and it sounded like it was when it turned over but when it cranked it was bad but i guess the computer 'learned' around it somehow ending with this exhaust note, lemme know what you think..

(if it doesn't work copy paste into windows media player)
    Laredo Exhaust
    *edit
    angelfire won't work so here's something else:
    Laredo exhaust

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast