Thread: Stirrup Step

Question Stirrup Step

With a 4" lift, it's getting tougher for my wife to climb into the Jeep. If were are on uneven ground or if we go to larger tires, the problem will just get worse. We do have a little folding step stool for shorter guests and when my wife needs it, but it's a pain to put out and pick up. We heard about and ordered Cowboy StirrUP Steps made by Redneck Concepts. This is a stirrup like footrest with about a foot of strap and a hook that hangs on the door threshold. Once in, just pull off and toss under the seat. I was just wondering if any has tried these and has any opinions. Searching on this board and Google didn't turn up much in the way of actual experience.

Art
    '01 TJ

Registered

seems like you would bang the piss out of the shin when the strap swings under the jeep while stepping into it.
    02 Wrangler Sport,

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbroke
    seems like you would bang the piss out of the shin when the strap swings under the jeep while stepping into it.
    At first glance, that stirrup step seems like a cool solution to tall Jeeps and short people but that has always been my thought too when looking at it in the catalogs.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbroke
    I was concerned as well. But I found the following:

"Looking at the step, my first thought was I was going to bang my shin on the side of the tub. My wife, Diane, thought the same thing, but it just doesn't happen. It is easy to swing up and into the Jeep with the step. It is a lot less stressful on the knees and arms to use the step because you don't need to be a contortionist to get in your Jeep."

In a review at: 4x4wire review

I'll post a review once we've received and tried them.

Art
    '01 TJ

I have one for wife who is somewhat vertically challenged. It work just fine, but take a couple times to get used to it. No problem with hitting shins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Berggreen
    With a 4" lift, it's getting tougher for my wife to climb into the Jeep. If were are on uneven ground or if we go to larger tires, the problem will just get worse. We do have a little folding step stool for shorter guests and when my wife needs it, but it's a pain to put out and pick up. We heard about and ordered Cowboy StirrUP Steps made by Redneck Concepts. This is a stirrup like footrest with about a foot of strap and a hook that hangs on the door threshold. Once in, just pull off and toss under the seat. I was just wondering if any has tried these and has any opinions. Searching on this board and Google didn't turn up much in the way of actual experience.

Art
    '01 TJ
    Get a small plastic stepstool. Drill a hole in the center of the top abd put a rope through it.

When she gets out, she can either slide out or dangle the stool from the rope down to the ground, and position it as such. To get in, she simply puts it where she needs it and drapes the other oend of the rope in the jeep. Once in, she just pulls the stool up by the rope and pitches it in back.

Has worked great for my Mom for a few years now when getting intp Dads Jeep.... and costs all of about $10 for the length of rope and a rubbermaid stool.
    Tony Rio
    '99 TJ
    '78 SJ Cherokee

Default how about chains?

I have a buddy bolted chains under the tub so that they hang kinda like the stirup idea. The only negitive is that there always there. but on the positive side they just slide over the rocks unlike conventional steps, and they work really well and are cheap. I would post a pic but don't have a host. If you have a e-mail and want I can send you one.

Dustin
    HIS 02 TJ, 4.0, D30 & 8.8, 3.73 gears, sye & cv shaft, 3" springs up front, 2" RE BB in rear, 1" MORE MML, 1" BL, 33" GoodYear MT/r's, M/T Classic II's, JKS disconnects, York OBA, 3 core radiator, and lots of skinny pedal!

HERS 03 WJ, 4.7 HO

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

I use folding steps from boating / marine supply. They don't hang down below the rocker though... but fold up to the tub when not in use. Search any online marine supply, hardware section... some are more pricey than others depending on whether they are chrome or stainless etc.
    98' TJ 4.0L 5spd NP231 w/Tera 4:1 2Lo D44 F&R ARB/Detroit 5.13's Superior 33spl. Rear axles 35" Mud T/A's
    RE 4.5" SF 1" BL 1" MML Hanson F Bumper with XD9000I Currie R Bumper OBA etc. etc. etc.

I have Olympic 4x4 Reversa bars and that might be something to consider. They bolt to the frame and can be turned up as a slider or down as a step. Here's a pic of mine as they are turned up:

Hope this helps.

-b
    98 TJ stock except for a few mods
    www.pnwjeep.com

I have a set just like that for sale :burnzout:
    Only the big Dawgs Bark.... Little ones just Pee!

1999 Sahara with a heck of alot of extras

Yeah mine will get sold soon too. I am buying some PSC knockers :hah: These just happen to be on the Jeep when I bought it....Acutally everything in this pic except for the wheels/tires were on it to include a Garvin rack which I already sold
    98 TJ stock except for a few mods
    www.pnwjeep.com

I have one of those stirrups for my wife. It works fine. No banged up shins. As long as she has a steady hand grip, its no problem.

i just give mine the ol bowling ball grip and throw her butt into the jeep. she has no complaints and its free.
    If you weld it and it breaks, weld it again. after you grind it, drink a brew, cuss, grind some more, wipe your face, think about what you did wrong, and then grind some more.. then maybe it's acceptable to weld again...

"i just give mine the ol bowling ball grip and throw her butt into the jeep. she has no complaints and its free."

AND if she gets tired you can carry her like a 6 pack...
    Chad KI6BIG
    2002 TJ Sport with homemade BB, Spidertrax and FREE set of 33x12.50x15 BFG AT's on Canyon's