Thread: pressure plate bolts?

Icon5a pressure plate bolts?

I guess when I sold my old tranny I gave the pressure plate mounting bolts away too

I need to what length they need to be, I know the size just need to know if there is a specific length they need to be?

One more thing, just want to make sure which side of the clutch disc goes against the flywheel, the clutch disc I have has one side that the springs stick out further on that side, If I am right that side goes away from the flywheel
    :norcaljr: 1978 Jeep CJ-7 tube buggy, 401 V-8, Ford t-19, novak adapter, d-300 tc, coming soon

Rockwells, 4 linked front and rear, Air shocks, riding on 46" michelins

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by guffey24
    One more thing, just want to make sure which side of the clutch disc goes against the flywheel, the clutch disc I have has one side that the springs stick out further on that side, If I am right that side goes away from the flywheel
    Correct. Not sure about bolt length.
    86 CJ7, 258 w/4.0 head, Clifford w/ Holley 390, TFI-HEI hybrid, 4.10 gears, 4" lift on 33's, Woody shaft, locked at both end, keepin' it simple

The pressure plate mounting bolts are 3/8 x 16 grade 8 bolts but they are special in that they have more unthreaded shank than usual for the length of the bolt to help center the pressure plate on the flywheel. It would be best to get OEM replacement bolts but you might try your local speed shop and see if they have any Chevy pressure plate bolts. At least from memory, they look the same.
    Jeeper80

Registered

Shoulder bolts are used if there are no dowel pins to locate the pressure plate ,if I'm correct.
    You should also measure the depth of the thread for ref. if you cant find OEM bolts.
    85 CJ7,9"HPC/ Detroit,44 spooled,SOA,Tera Low/twin stick,MPFI,Redneck Ram,dual bat.,Warn 9000,Premier welder.

Icon5a

okay I know that they are 3/8, and grade 8 I know that, but where does the 16 come from, is that metric or some oem crap that I am not going to be able to match up

I tried to call my clutch guy today for the bolts but will probally have to wait until monday to see if he has them
    :norcaljr: 1978 Jeep CJ-7 tube buggy, 401 V-8, Ford t-19, novak adapter, d-300 tc, coming soon

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by guffey24
    okay I know that they are 3/8, and grade 8 I know that, but where does the 16 come from

"16" is the pitch of the thread.
    3/8 is the dia. and this tells you that it is a SAE thread,not metric.
    A metric thread would be listed as a M5 or M8 or M10,etc.
    85 CJ7,9"HPC/ Detroit,44 spooled,SOA,Tera Low/twin stick,MPFI,Redneck Ram,dual bat.,Warn 9000,Premier welder.

I dont think I am understanding this, why cant I get some 3/8, 16 pitch, grade 8 bolts, that will mount the pressure plate to the flywheel?

All I want it to do is to mount flush to the flywheel right?

Do these bolts balance something?

Pressure plate bolts typically look like the ones pictures here. They have a longer than normal section of unthreaded shank (shoulder, grip) that helps center the pressure plate precisely on the flywheel and probably have more strength and surface area for transferring engine torque from the flywheel to the pressure plate. Look at the bolt holes in your flywheel and you will see that the first few threads below the surface of the flywheel have been relieved or counterbored to accept this type of bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeeper80

Registered

4 WheelDrive Hardware has the bolts you need.P/N 910 $14.99

Registered

They have a reduced sized head,and just below the head the last 3/8 inch or so of the bolt shank is threadless, and sized to fit the holes in the pressure plate tight,to aline it,that same part of the shank also fits the flywheel tight.The 16 means 16 threads per inch.I don't think bolts with a full size hex head will work.I have some if needed.

Icon5a

Alright guys, I appreciate all the info, Ted let me look around a few parts houses and clutch guys in my area, If I cant find them I will let you know, give me a price on 6 of them, If I cant find them I would pay extra to get them here next day

Icon5a

Alright guys I found them at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Krb thanks for the part# 910, they are Mr. Gasket pressure plate bolts, made for GM, 3/8-16x1" grade 8 $6.99

Jeeper80 thanks for the pics

Ted, I will be talking to you about some more parts I may need shortly, thanks for all the parts that you have already supplied me

The Jeep FSM says to final torque them to 40 ft. lbs.
    Jeeper80