Thread: Hesitation, slipping, jerking and whining...transmission? jeep suicide?

Registered

Icon316 Hesitation, slipping, jerking and whining...transmission? jeep suicide?

I have a 97' Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2l and 4wd, I think I have the 44E transmission but could be wrong. My problems all started when my tv cable end broke off and I didn't know it...hence my car would not rev above 2800 or so rpms in first and shifting was generally really off. Sometimes it also felt like it was slipping a bit. I finally looked under the hood, discovered the problem and fixed it.

Since then things have gotten much worse for me though, if I am driving at around 15mph (parking lots is where I notice it most) and give it just SLIGHT throttle I get a kind of surging hesitation feeling where the car will surge forward rythmically and slightly. Its not terrible, but its enough to annoy me and for passengers to notice, I can usually fix it by just giving it more gas though. It feels to me as if it wants to shift into 2nd but just cant QUITE do it.

The worst problem I'm having though feels very much to me like the transmission is slipping. If I accelerate from a stop the rpms will go up but not in direct proportion to the rate of acceleration. The weird thing is that its intermittent and doesn't seem to depend on whether the car was warmed up or any other factors. It just simply sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. This is pretty bad in my book, but the fact that now it does it while jerking and sort of stuttering forward makes it rather terrible indeed. It will actually shake the car loud and hard enough to make **** rattle. When it was shaking the car I actually wondered for a second if it could be the decently worn spider gears in my rear differential, but everything points me towards the transmission. It also now has started making a noise to go along with the slipping and the rattling and the jerking, its kind of a whine...but also kind of like if you were using an electric drill with the clutch set to screw mode and held onto it. I dont know if that makes sense, but thats what it reminded me of. It does the same thing on the 1-2 shift, but doesn't seem to cause nearly as bad a rattling, then its just more of a slipping and sometimes a whiny sound. Its very perplexing to me about when it does do it and when it doesn't...there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason beyond the fact that it does it especially bad under moderate to moderately heavy throttle. Flooring it almost seems to make things better and I've taken to just doing so if I feel it doing its thing on the 1-2 shift.

I've now adjusted the TV cable, which helped get the shift points where they should be and such, but didn't help with the real meat of the problem. I also checked the fluid and noticed that it smelled a lot like...transmission fluid and was kinda a dingy red, which is what it should look like I think considering its probably getting near due for a servicing. I think its been about 20-30k since its last fluid and filter change. I know it needs to have the fluid and filter changed and the bands adjusted, but I just cant believe that thats the only thing causing this problem. Its getting worse pretty much daily and I'm wondering how long it'll be before it just leaves me stranded. If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Registered

27 views so far but no comments...do we all just think its a jeep suicide?

Registered

Definitely getting worse...I would now describe it as unsafe to pull out into traffic...you never know if things will go smoothly or if you'll get nothing for acceleration!

Bring it to the dealer or a tranny shop. Trust me, they will not jump down your throat to replace it cuz its a pain the the ass to do....Our 01 wj did similar things and it was a solenoid acting up along with something else.
    Sold all jeeps.

Registered

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to take it by a tranny place on monday...i've been scared to since the solution tranny places always seem to go with is "rebuild it" but maybe they can offer up some kind of advice at least. Does anyone know if there was any manual transmission that came behind the 5.2l? I'd positively love to be done with this auto crap...

I had this problem last summer and i figured it out and "fixed" it last september with a new vehicle speed sensor, however it did it to me again today for the first time in months, I have done everything on it last summer, anyway it is a 92 XJ with a 4.0 and an automatic transmission.

I am afraid it will get worse to the point of being dangerous as it was last summer. Anyway someone said that there was a solenoid causing the problem. Please explain.

Registered

Hmmm, well I checked the codes just now, the speed sensor code didn't pop up It sure would be nice if it was something so simple. I REALLY need an FSM, are there any available to download or must I spend 100 or so bucks and buy one?

Registered

I decided to change out the tps since it has 160k miles, they are known to fail, and it could cause similar symptoms...but it didn't help It sure would have been nice if that had been the problem!

Registered

Well, good news and bad news...ok, really just bad news actually. I bit the bullet and got 6 qts. of atf +4 a new filter, a new gasket, and went to work. The rear band was WAY out of adjustment and the front seems so-so. The bad part though was the chunk o' steel that the transmission had shat into the pan along with a decent amount of metal flecks...the piece looks like its a piece of a snap ring, so somewhere in my transmission something isn't being retained all that well at all. Oh, there was also a good bit of clutch friction crap in there. I have a feeling its not going to be long before it completely lets go considering somewhere a snap ring has probably been demolished. Oh, and I found this to be indespensible considering it was dark