Thread: tire pressure monitoring system, RESET??

Default tire pressure monitoring system, RESET??

can anyone tell me how to reset the annoying blinking light for the TPMS? it comes on every ten minutes. and is driving me crazy! i have gone to dealer and had them reset it 3 times and paid. but its getting expensive to do that everytime the weather changes. it is a 2005 jeep liberty limited

Have you checked the pressure in your spare tire also?
    2005 Black Renegade

Forum Leader

To reset the tire sensors you need to air up all the tires to 40 pounds--then take the pressure down to normal- you may need to drive ti around the block to get it to then read right. I've had to have the dsealer reset mine twice and the last time I had them show me the secret- they said when the monitors first came out they used magnets and voodoo to reset it- until DC told them the inflate/deflate method.

Registered

Read the om. It will work wonders. :untrue:
    Current Jeep: Atlantic Blue 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
    -Transfer Case: NP242
    -OME/Rustys lift
    -Mopar skids+tow hooks
    -Powertrax No-slip Locker
    -245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S mounted on MOABS
    -Lots O other stuff
    L.O.S.T member 000482

and don't forget the spare .. that drives some people nuts ...

I had the same problem, The dealer was too dumb to check the spair tire. I'mm glad it was still on warranty, when I got it back home the fourth time I checked the tire pressures my self,and found the spare down to 25psi.I drove it for a few miles and the light went off.

Default 5 tire basic system

We have had our 2005 Renegade with the basic system for almost 1 year. I felt I understood the system well. I also have looked at part numbers and have not seen anything about the valve stem/transmiter having different frequencies. I check all 5 tires reqularly and have had very minor changes. So the wife calls during a drive and the light went on. After stopping and checking all 5 tires she calls again and says they are all good, and having turned the engine off then back on it went away in a few minutes. I am tempted to believe she past in close proximaty to another vehicle that had a valvestem/sensor activated and it registered in our system. What do you think? Has anyone had what they thought was a one time short duration false trigger? If so this will be more common if more vehicles are built with more transmiters on the same frequency.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by jaywestmonroe
    i have gone to dealer and had them reset it 3 times and paid. but its getting expensive to do that everytime the weather changes. it is a 2005 jeep liberty limited
    Why did you pay shoudn't this be covered by your warranty

Bob

Registered

My system has worked perfectly. I have had three alerts: two for the spare tire, and one when I picked up a nail. I never would have known about the nail because the pressure had dropped to 25 psi, and the tire looked normal. I inspected it carefully, and I found the nail! I love this system. BTW, my computer readout always tells me what tire it is. I never have to "reset" it, just add air to the tire.
    2004 4WD Limited, Silver, 28G Package, Anti-Lock Brakes, Off-Road Package, RB1 NAV, Trailer Tow Group, Mopar Subwoofer, JBL GTO 220 Speakers, Silverstars

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Buster46506
    We have had our 2005 Renegade with the basic system for almost 1 year. I felt I understood the system well. I also have looked at part numbers and have not seen anything about the valve stem/transmiter having different frequencies. I check all 5 tires reqularly and have had very minor changes. So the wife calls during a drive and the light went on. After stopping and checking all 5 tires she calls again and says they are all good, and having turned the engine off then back on it went away in a few minutes. I am tempted to believe she past in close proximaty to another vehicle that had a valvestem/sensor activated and it registered in our system. What do you think? Has anyone had what they thought was a one time short duration false trigger? If so this will be more common if more vehicles are built with more transmiters on the same frequency.
    Mine did this one time. With my 2004 i must use a magnet to "re-train" the tire sensors. That was over a year ago.
    Current Jeep: Atlantic Blue 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
    -Transfer Case: NP242
    -OME/Rustys lift
    -Mopar skids+tow hooks
    -Powertrax No-slip Locker
    -245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S mounted on MOABS
    -Lots O other stuff
    L.O.S.T member 000482

If I change tire sizes will it mess the sensors up? I'm looking at swapping out the stock 225/75 for 235/70 wrangler silent armors.

Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by cucmd1
    If I change tire sizes will it mess the sensors up? I'm looking at swapping out the stock 225/75 for 235/70 wrangler silent armors.
    no

Do you have to drive them at 40PSI and then deflate them to normal pressures to reset the TMP system?

Registered

This is a great system. It gave me an alert again yesterday and the computer said the tire was down to 21 lbs. I got out the tire gauge, and sure enough, that's what it was. I picked up another nail. After I pumped up the tire, the alert just went away - no reset necessary.
    2004 4WD Limited, Silver, 28G Package, Anti-Lock Brakes, Off-Road Package, RB1 NAV, Trailer Tow Group, Mopar Subwoofer, JBL GTO 220 Speakers, Silverstars