Thread: Selec-trac problems!!!

Icon313 Selec-trac problems!!!

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee with Selec-trac. I am having trouble getting the Jeep out of 4wd. It also doesn't seem to go into full time 4wd because there is still a lot of wheel hop and binding in that mode. The Jeep dealer says nothing is wrong with the transfer case. To shift, I usually go about 25mph, let off the accelerator, shift, and then rev the engine a couple of times. I had a 93 Grand with Selec-trac and never had this problem. The 4wd on the Grand worked fine until recently. I did put two new tires on the front about 3 weeks ago. The tires are Bridgestone Alenza and the rears are the Wrangler ST. Could the difference in the tread design cause the 4wd problem? Thanks

Had the same issue on my '03 WJ Selectrac.
    Dealer advised driving it some more in 4 full time to keep everything lubed proerly, and wfter a while it shift in and out of 4 part time much better.
    Felt binding as if it was always in 4 part time even though I was in 4 full time.

Also, keep up on the differentials' service, don't let them go too long.

Registered

The last two sentences you described about the two new tires are your EXACT problems! The Select-Trac is very sensitive to differences in tire diameter variations. Until you get two more tires to match your replacements, you're going to continue with your problems. Hope this solves your problem.
    2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.7 4x4 Graphite Grey / Taupe

*Sold* 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 Black / Taupe
    *Sold* 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Stone White
    *Sold* 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo Special Edition

DJ Sauce

Thanks for the reply. All four tires are P225/75/16 in size. Do you think the tread could make a difference between the two brands?

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by singer
    DJ Sauce

Thanks for the reply. All four tires are P225/75/16 in size. Do you think the tread could make a difference between the two brands?
    yes, the tires are different. Even thought the same size, they are different sizes. It might not be much but its enough to f with the TC. I hear tire pressure could f with it as well, but I bet its the different tires.
    96 ZJ

Registered

Yeah, the Select-Trac is very sensitive to tire size variations, and yes that means tire pressure too! Even you have on, let's say 225/75-16, the new tires will have more tread and a somewhat larger overall diameter than the old more worn out tires. So now what you're doing is creating a scenario where the center diff is receiving two different variations of speed (like slippage) and is trying to lock up do to the different front and rear speed inputs.
    2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.7 4x4 Graphite Grey / Taupe

*Sold* 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 Black / Taupe
    *Sold* 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Stone White
    *Sold* 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo Special Edition