Thread: Dana 44 front axle?

Registered

Default Dana 44 front axle?

Is it true they put a iron dana 44 front axle in the Wk's? Some people on a libby forum were talking about it and i thought that was crazy to put in the front. They use a corp. 8.25 rear dont they? Why put a bigger front axle on it? I always thought it was a steel dana 30.
    Current Jeep: Atlantic Blue 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
    -Transfer Case: NP242
    -OME/Rustys lift
    -Mopar skids+tow hooks
    -Powertrax No-slip Locker
    -245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S mounted on MOABS
    -Lots O other stuff
    L.O.S.T member 000482

WKs have IFS. WJs and ZJs have SFAs (either a Dana 30 or a Dana 35, I THINK) As for the rear axle, I do believe you're correct w/ the Chrysler 8 1⁄4, though the SRT8 has a Dana 44.

Registered

Yea I know that. I guess I should of said that. I was wanting to know what the "pumpkin" was.
    Current Jeep: Atlantic Blue 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
    -Transfer Case: NP242
    -OME/Rustys lift
    -Mopar skids+tow hooks
    -Powertrax No-slip Locker
    -245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S mounted on MOABS
    -Lots O other stuff
    L.O.S.T member 000482

The WK does use a cast iron housing, but it's not a Dana 44, it's a corporate axle. It's unique to the Grand and Commander - the ring gear is 200mm (so 7.87" I guess) and there aren't any lower ratios available yet. The rear is a corporate 8 1/4", but some of the aftermarket companies are calling it a 8 3/8" so it may be slightly larger.

By the way, the Libby uses an aluminum Dana 30 IFS in the front and all ZJ/WJ had cast iron Dana 30 SFA in the front (the ring gear may be a little larger than a "standard" 30 though, at least in the WJ's). Kinda like referring to a Dana 44 - there are so many combinations that you have to know more detail.
    Steve

06 XK 5.7L Limited
    05 WK 5.7L Limited
    04 TJ 4.0L Rubicon
    02 WJ 4.7L HO Overland
    89 XJ 4.0L Limited
    84 CJ7 4.2L
    and several others I wish I still had...

Oh, the diff... not the axle. DOH! :dmb: You're also correct about the 8 and 3/8, since 213 millimeters = 8.385 inches. Where'd you find info on the front end?

Edit: N/M. Found it here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_specs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCollector
    The WK does use a cast iron housing, but it's not a Dana 44, it's a corporate axle. It's unique to the Grand and Commander - the ring gear is 200mm (so 7.87" I guess) and there aren't any lower ratios available yet. The rear is a corporate 8 1/4", but some of the aftermarket companies are calling it a 8 3/8" so it may be slightly larger.

By the way, the Libby uses an aluminum Dana 30 IFS in the front and all ZJ/WJ had cast iron Dana 30 SFA in the front (the ring gear may be a little larger than a "standard" 30 though, at least in the WJ's). Kinda like referring to a Dana 44 - there are so many combinations that you have to know more detail.
    Any of ya'll speak english? And I thought I knew a thing or two.