Thread: Milky white on my PCV valve

Default Milky white on my PCV valve

I was doing some preventive maintenance on my Jeep this morning and during the process I removed my PCV to check it - this was after driving it about 3 miles. The bottom of the PCV was covered in a milky white sort of thick milk shake looking stuff - any idea what / why? Does this indicate a problem somewhere?

Thanks.
    Jeep - its a job - not an adventure.

yeah id like to hear someones opinion on this one???

you say this stuff is WHITE?
    76 cj5 AMC 304 d30 amc20 dana 20 t150 complete resto.

SPEND MORE TIME THAN MONEY!
    some assmonkeys keep makin that red bar up there bigger! am i really an asshat?? LOL

Welcome to moisture in the combustion chamber... Your head gasket may need replaced.
    -----------------------
    2001 WJ, 4.0L, stock

www.bustedjeep.com

AIM: Qsting68

that sucks. :steamin:
    76 cj5 AMC 304 d30 amc20 dana 20 t150 complete resto.

SPEND MORE TIME THAN MONEY!
    some assmonkeys keep makin that red bar up there bigger! am i really an asshat?? LOL

Registered

It could also be moisture boiling off from the oil. It's not uncommon in the winter. But keep an eye on the oil to make sure no coolant's mixing in. That's brutal on main bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by jadams68
    Welcome to moisture in the combustion chamber... Your head gasket may need replaced.
    If the head isn't cracked.
    78CJ5, 304, 4"lift 1"body, locked F&R, 33s, Tera Low, Warn 9.5ti Winch...

Quote Originally Posted by LEVE
    It could also be moisture boiling off from the oil. It's not uncommon in the winter. But keep an eye on the oil to make sure no coolant's mixing in. That's brutal on main bearings.
    x2 on this. Could easily be condensate that hasn't evaporated yet. 3mi isn't enough to really warm the engine up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dznuts™
    yeah id like to hear someones opinion on this one???

you say this stuff is WHITE?

I would say it looks like a mocha frappacino (sp?) - had a little brown tinge to it - but whiteish.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by techwrtr2
    x2 on this. Could easily be condensate that hasn't evaporated yet. 3mi isn't enough to really warm the engine up.
    X3. Check your oil too, and if you see the same on the dipstick then keep an eye out for missing radiator fluid that goes hand in hand with a cracked head or bad head gasket.

As stated above, chances are that it's only condensation caused by moisture that had enough time to steam up, but not enough time to be evacuated from the crank case. The more stop 'n go/short trips you take, the more milky crap you'll find. Try taking it out for a drive so that the engine stays at operating temperature for at least 15 minutes and that should clear out a majority of it. Good luck

Nick

1981 CJ8: 258(+0.030"), NV3550, RV Cam, TFI Ignition, Borla Header, Howell TBI. F&R D44's w/4.09's & ARB's, OBA. 5" Lift w/SRS, 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's, Mud

2001 Camaro SS M6. Dynojet #'s: 334rwhp/356rwtq

model of inefficiency

Mine looks like this...oil is always fine and the coolant never moves. Been doing it for about 3 years now...mostly when its really rainy or just boefore and after winter.

82 CJ7 - stock 258, t5, d300, d30, amc 20 with 1 piece axles,4.88's, 4" BDS lift, 33x12.5 bfg AT, rust. (all in a pile in the shop)

look at the level of coolant in your radiator and make a mental note of it and then drive it awhile. If you have a head gasket leak or your head is cracked or warped youll start to see the coolent level drop. the speed at which the coolent leaks will depend on the severity of the gasket break or how bad the head is cracked or warped. This happened to me in my first car so if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

sebas - that is exactly what mine looks like.

I did pull the dip stick this evening and did not see anything but oil (need to change it though) - but there did not seem to be anything like water or anti-freeze.

I figure I will change the PCV, change my oil - I was in the process of flushing my radiator today and removed my carb to rebuild it - which is what started the day off. So it probably wont be running again for a week or so - but I appreciate all of the help.

If anyone has anything else to add - I am all ears.

Registered

I wouldn't worry about it. When I had my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab w/ a 4.7 it did it all the time. On that engine the oil fill tube is plastic and causes condensation from the heating/cooling difference between the plastic and the block. Back to your jeep, just change the oil religiously and you should be fine.

that is condensation you see it a lot of engines

1978 cj-7 golden eagle had since 1979
    304 -360-401
    401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
    crower solid cam 292/298 - .500/.510 lift
    .246/.250 duration.050
    th-400 / 4500 stall
    Dana 44 5:13 gears
    aj glass body
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...401/?start=all
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...cj7/?start=all
    11.669 @ 112.33 mph 33x10.50 slicks and 4" lift in the 1/4 mile all motor no spray / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Just change the PCV and it'll be alright.....