Thread: Naked nockers

Icon312 Naked nockers

Are there any words of wisdom on the best rattle-can primer for naked steel rockers? I intend to use a hammered finish top-coat. This for the NJ area (aka-rust belt)
    :nerd: They call it PMS because the term "Mad Cow" was already taken.
    2006 Rubicon...W/ AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper, 4" on 33's. ; When my wonderful wife lets me drive it.
    2004 TJ D44- 2" on 33's MTR's
    AtoZ Fabrication rockers and rear bumper. MM Hydraulic Winch, CB and GPS, MML, 1" BL 33 Engineering TT. JB Conversion's SS-SYE and a Woody DS. NOVAK TC shifter.

Just make sure it says self etching on it. That way it bonds to the metal better. Also clean them good with acetone or something that will remove the oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt
    Just make sure it says self etching on it. That way it bonds to the metal better. Also clean them good with acetone or something that will remove the oils.

X2!

Spend the extra dollar and get a good brand of paint.

I used 99 cent a can stuff and they turned grey within a week.

Registered

process of finishing mine up with rustoleum hammered black. suppose to stick awesome, and have a nice finish. easy for touching up when scraped.

Registered

I used the self-etching stuff... rattle cans from Autozone. Seemed to work really well, the Hammerite sticks great.

I love Hammerite... so easy to touch up, and as a bonus it matches the flares perfectly if you're into that sort of thing. :fkcar:
    '01 TJ Sport!

Shiny new, Just got it last Friday
    Swapped in 3.73 D30/D35, 2" Procomp (I think) Coils, [s]DT3k[/s] BDS shocks, 31" TrXus MTs, front Aussie, Jeeperman 54H front bumper, custom Bootsfab rear bumper, 9.5ti, ORFab cage, Tera QDs, Big Daddy tie rod, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Tera steering box skid, [s]Tera[/s] JeepMedic Oil pan skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Warn diff skids F&R, RE Adj rear Trackbar, AtoZFab rocker guards with internal bracing, homemade hand throttle, Cobra 75WXST, [s]Hella 500s[/s] KC Daylighters, Clarion subwoofer, Polk/Infinity speakers, added Cruise, carpeted hard top and wiring. Following the Tao

Goodbye my friend.

Registered

Scuffed mine up with 220 sandpaper to clean any rust or impurities off surface. Wiped down with solvent (xylene).

"Primed" with two coats of brushed-on POR-15 flat black (it self-levels).

Fogged the final coat of POR-15 with Rustoleum primer when it was 1/2 dry (standard POR-15 process).

Finish coated with Krylon "satin black" (looks like powdercoat).

Looked good and touched up well. After scuffing up tubes repeatedly (using them as steps) I surface sanded with 320 paper and topcoated with Duplicolor rattle can bed liner. Tough, touches up well, and doesn't scratch when walked on...

98 TJ Sport, 5-speed, 33 X 12.50 Kumhos on 15 X 8 wagon wheels, 4.56 gears, 3" BDS lift, Jeeperman rear bumper/carrier, Banks header, Rubicon D44 with chromo shafts & Detroit Locker, D30/Detroit TrueTrac, DuraBaked interior, JeepMedic Engine Skid, A To Z front bumper & rockers, MileMarker 9500 winch, 10# UltimateAir CO2 System, Rough Country adjustable length control arms, super short SYE/custom CV driveshaft, Durango steering box conversion.

Gonna use Duplicolor spray liner on mine when I get them, don't quote me on this, but if I remember right, it says on the can that it may be used on bare metal, no primer required. I've used this on several things and seems to hold up well, has nice texture, and is easy to touch up.
    Current: '04 TJ Rubicon, Patriot blue, dual khaki tops & interior, auto, Skyjacker BB & shocks, 1" BL, 32" BFG A/T's, Husky liners F&R, rocker guards/steps, rear bumper w/ swing out tire carrier, Fabtec front bumper, Kenwood double DIN in dash DVD, w/OEM console Sub.

Previous:
    '05 TJ X, '00 XJ Sport, '86 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '90 XJ Laredo, '91 XJ Laredo, '01 TJ Sport.

Registered

In my experience, it sticks nicely, but I wouldn't vouch for it's corrosion-resistance properties.

I'd advise a self-etching primer basecoat for a quality / long-lasting finish.

I second the vote for the Duplicolor rattle-can bedliner. I wouldn't do a large surface with it (I DuraBaked my TJ tub and pickup box) but it's excellent for many other uses (the bottoms of metal patio furniture to prevent rust spots on cement/pavers, metal lawn/garage furniture, bumpers, sealing leaking gutter joints, rock rails, inside fenders and as an undercoating, lining trunks, as a sealer under carpets etc in restoration projects...
    98 TJ Sport, 5-speed, 33 X 12.50 Kumhos on 15 X 8 wagon wheels, 4.56 gears, 3" BDS lift, Jeeperman rear bumper/carrier, Banks header, Rubicon D44 with chromo shafts & Detroit Locker, D30/Detroit TrueTrac, DuraBaked interior, JeepMedic Engine Skid, A To Z front bumper & rockers, MileMarker 9500 winch, 10# UltimateAir CO2 System, Rough Country adjustable length control arms, super short SYE/custom CV driveshaft, Durango steering box conversion.

Icon312 Nothing like cold nockers!

Thanks for the words of wisdom. But for now it is too damm cold to paint. I am considering getting a space heater for the garage because I am a kid with a new toy.

I like to spray on bed-liner idea.
    :nerd: They call it PMS because the term "Mad Cow" was already taken.
    2006 Rubicon...W/ AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper, 4" on 33's. ; When my wonderful wife lets me drive it.
    2004 TJ D44- 2" on 33's MTR's
    AtoZ Fabrication rockers and rear bumper. MM Hydraulic Winch, CB and GPS, MML, 1" BL 33 Engineering TT. JB Conversion's SS-SYE and a Woody DS. NOVAK TC shifter.