Thread: rumbling tranny at stop lights

Registered

Icon313 rumbling tranny at stop lights

my tranny seems to rumble fairly loud when i come to a stop while in drive,it shifts fine and ive never had any other problems with it,when i give it gas there is a slight ticking sound that increases with speed or decreases when i slow down,i just spent an hour on my back trying to figure it out w/ no luck.any suggestions what this may be so i dont have to spend big$$$$$to fix? its a 99 i6...

Registered
    Solla Sollew - Where they never have troubles. At least, very few

Why are you sure that it is comming from the tranny?

If it is...

Have you checked the fluid level recently?

When was the last time you changed your ATF?

Did you use ATF+4?
    1999 Grand Cherokee 4.0 182K
    1975 CJ-5 27K - Never off the island
    2003 Lexus LX 470 45K

Registered

Check this out:

2500103 - DUTY CYCLE PURGE SOLENOID CAUSES A TICKING-LIKE SOUND FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT
    Date: 2/21/03

Model Year(s): 2002-2004

Description: This bulletin involves isolating the Duty Cycle Purge (DCP) solenoid from the vehicle body.

Details: The customer while sitting in the passenger compartment may notice a ticking-like sound when the engine is idling. The sound may be more noticeable in colder ambient temperatures. Mechanical contact between the DCP solenoid and the body of the vehicle may be the cause of the ticking-like sound.

The ticking-like sound may also be described as a tapping or clicking-like sound. The sound may appear to be similar to the sound produced by a worn or loose engine valve train component, such as a valve lifter.

Diagnosis:

1. Use the Actuator Mode on the DRB III® scan tool to cycle the DCP solenoid. Navigate through the following menus on the DRB III®: Main Menu, Stand-Alone Menu, 1998–2003 Diagnostic Menu, Select System Menu - Engine, Select Function Menu, Actuators Menu. Scroll over to page 4 of 5 in the Actuators Menu to find the Evap Purge Solenoid.

2. Verify the customer complaint. Sit in the driver seat with all doors closed. The fan on the DRB III® can be quieted by temporarily covering the fan exhaust port with your hand. Actuate the DCP solenoid.

3. If the ticking-like sound is present, remove the DCP solenoid from its mounting bracket but keep the evaporative and electrical connections connected to the DCP solenoid. Allow the DCP solenoid to hang in place free of contact with the rest of the vehicle.

4. Actuate the DCP solenoid with the DRB III®. If the ticking-like sound is now diminished in sound level or is no longer present, then perform the Repair Procedure.

5. If the ticking-like sound is still present, then further diagnosis is required. NOTE: THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE IS INTENDED TO ADDRESS DCP SOLENOID GENERATED SOUND THAT IS TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE BODY OF THE VEHICLE (STRUCTURE BORNE). THE DCP SOLENOID MAY ALSO EMIT SOUNDS THAT ARE AUDIBLE AND NOT BODY TRANSMITTED. A DEGREE OF AUDIBLE SOUND FROM THE DCP SOLENOID IS NORMAL TO THE OPERATION OF THE DCP.

Parts required:
    05114514AA U-Bracket, DCP Isolation (includes a 3 mm x 14 mm wide slot rubber bushing)
    53030987 Bushing, DCP Solenoid Narrow Slot (slot in bushing is 1.3 mm x 14 mm)
    99 GC Ltd, 4.7 V-8, Quadra-Drive, Towing Package, Champagne/Camel

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    its a 99 i6...

that would not make it a model from 2002-2004?

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by canlax4life
    that would not make it a model from 2002-2004?
    It also applies to models as far back as 1999......as in mine.
    99 GC Ltd, 4.7 V-8, Quadra-Drive, Towing Package, Champagne/Camel

Quote Originally Posted by 1stGC
    Check this out:

2500103 - DUTY CYCLE PURGE SOLENOID CAUSES A TICKING-LIKE SOUND FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT
    Date: 2/21/03

Model Year(s): 2002-2004

Registered

I have a 96 ZJ 5.2 V8 that I thought was making a strange rumbling noise from the transmission at idle in park / neutral / drive / reverse. This noise lasted almost a year before it got too annoying and too close to winter (I did not want to be doing any major repairs in the cold of winter). At first I thought it was a bearing going in the tranny. When sitting in the drivers seat that is where the noise seemed to be coming from. Also there was a very slight vibration that you could feel as well through your feet and bottom. When you drove the noise and vibration disappeared.

What it turned out to be was the waterpump bearing on its way out. (No leak). The bearing grinding itself would cause a rumble through the whole engine at idle and it would be amplified by the cavity in the oil pan. Also if you listen in front of the rad the noise is quite noticeable.

Easiest way to check would be to remove the fan belt, start the engine and see if the noise goes away at idle. (Don't run it too long - no cooling, no alternator). You can also check for play in the bearings on the waterpump and other accessories.

Other items to check - loose heat shield rattleing at idle, dying catalytic converter - give it a tap when its cold to see if the honeycomb catalyst is breaking up.

Good luck
    Hans
    '96 ZJ Limited 5.2L V8 Red
    '04 WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Black

Registered

my fluids are good,on the weekend it started rumbling so i fiddled w/ the shifter cable where it goes through my floorboard above the gas peddle,when i applied a bit of pressure to the cable the sound seemed to stop,could it be that my cable needs adjusting ?

Hey man
    i have a very similar problem that I can't figure out....

I made a post describing my situation which I have pasted here:

I bought a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo last weekend, and I've been working on tuning it up as when I got it, the car would shake while idling. Despite the dealer saying they did a tune up on it I have changed the distributor cap and rotor, the plugs (the old ones had bugs in them...), the wires, cleaned all the elctrical connectors, made sure everything was good and nice. That didn't get rid of the rumble though - although it did help a bit.

Through a bit of research I discovered that the Idle Air Control Valve being replaced would fix similar symptoms... it again has helped, but hasn't got rid of the back-massaging qualities of having the car stopped. In Park it is fairly acceptable, in drive it isn't really (when not in motion) ... the 98 Cherokee Sport my dad had with the I6 engine was alot smoother then this

Perhaps my findings so far would help you.
    all of my fluids are full as well...