Thread: CPS hole in bellhousing?

Registered

Default CPS hole in bellhousing?

Anyone ever drilled their own CPS hole in a tranny bellhousing? I exploded my TF 999 case and I found a replacement 999 but it is from an 89 and has no CPS hole. Also I beleive that my 999 case was only made for 1 year which is '91, The first F/I YJ but the last year of the 999 model tranny. From my understanding the 32RH was used in '92 and newer jeeps. The 32RH is a modernized version of the 999 and I think that means it is electronically controlled. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    Any help would be much appreciated on this.

Can you not remove the bell housing?

If not call Novak, they can help with redrilling the CPS, or maybe give you a tip on how to do it yourself.

Registered

The bellhousing is part of the case so it can not be removed. Plus it is destroyed.

Registered

probably would be easier, although not cheaper, to get the conversion kit from AA that moves the CPS to the harmonic balancer. kinda takes the guesswork out of getting the hole in exactly the right spot.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by MUDMAN
    From my understanding the 32RH was used in '92 and newer jeeps. The 32RH is a modernized version of the 999 and I think that means it is electronically controlled. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The "RH" in 32RH stands for rear wheel drive and hydraulically controled. The "3" means it's a three speed and the "2" is its considered strength.

You should be able to use it unless it's a 32RE.
    - 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 W/W 6x6, Multifuel Engine
    - 1995 YJ 4.0L / NV3500 / NV231 from an 03 TJ, 31' MTRs
    - 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2DR 4.0L Auto
    - 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Auto

Registered

904, 999, 31RH all the same basic transmissions internally and externally. 31RE would be a different transmission as it would have an electronic govenor.
    The Fleet
    92 XJ Rusty's 4.5" lift with spacers and RE Boomerang shackles, Dana 30 with a Lock Right 4.56 gears, 2000 XJ front brakes, Chrysler 8.25 with 2000 XJ axle shafts and Trac Lock, ZJ rear disk brakes, 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, NP 242 case, Borla Header Rusty's 2.5 inch Cat- Back exhaust with Flowmaster muffler, Products for Power High Flow 2.5 inch Cat
    SOLD
    03 Ram 1500 5.9L 4X4 Off Road Package(tow rig) 28570R17 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Flowmaster Dual exhaust
    05 KJ Wife's Jeep 3.7L 42RLE NP 231 Chrysler 8.25
    93 Mustang speed project
    94 XJ new project

Registered

If everything you said about the 32RH is true than I should be able to use it as it is the same as I have now. Just a different name right?