Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mad rooster.com crawl box adapter for JEEPS!!!

always broke and broker'r Rock WoRM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YJ-Mule

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/pr...ws/mad_rooster

Is a tech article, and

Contact
    Mad Rooster Off-Road
    Phil Porter
    Madera, CA
    559-232-5566
    madroosterfab@yahoo.com

Is how you can contact them.
    Nice link, Mule. Cool tech write-up. And thankyou, too, Scott for the thread start.

And of course as usual, a day late and dollar short. The rooster guy lives in the same area as me... learn something new everyday.

WoRM
    92 YJ, 4.0, 5spd, AC, 5" BDS SUA, MORE booms, 1" BL & MORE 1" MML, AA HD SYE w/cv, 4.56's, No-slip front w/pos-i-lok, Detroit 8.8, Tera 4-1, JCR 1ton TRE flip, U-bolt skids, 35" MT'Rs, Warn 8000 winch, PSE trail cage, home brew swing and rock sliders, CD stereo and tuffy console. <><

Cruise'n on a Suzuki Intruder VL 1500 V-twin when I'm not Jeep'n.

I'm always thankful to be thanked.

Worm, why not run your 4:1 in the rear part of the dual case, and the stock 2.72:1 in the front half of the case
    Scott
    89 YJ Sahara, SOA/SUA 35" MTR's
    04.5 Dodge Ram CTD600 Tow rig
    Visit My AMSOIL Dealer Website!
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

love24wheel:
    Another reason other than length to consider the NP205 over the NP231 is the torque rating.
    The NP231 is rated at 1800lbs+, and the NP205 is rated 5500lbs+.
    This is extremely beneficial if you put larger tires on your vehicle, larger axles, and when your trail loaded. The NP231 was only designed to run in a wrangler not trail loaded, just full of fluids with the 28" tires and a few people.

Just somethin to think about. If you go doublin that with a mad rooster box, whew. I have no idea what it can take.

Good Luck

True, we don't really know what it can take. The manufacturer says he's running a D300 with a 231 in front of it, attached to a 302 V8, and runs the hammers regularly, with a 44 front and 60 rear, and says he hasnt broken anything yet.
    Scott
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yjOWNED!

Yeah I was thinking, the torque rating I would guess would have the most to do with how much the chain can take. I bet the 231 planetary gears themselves probably aren't that weak. In otherwords, I would say that with the conversion you're using the strongest parts from the 231. Now I'm not saying that its a super hefty box, but the planetary gears alone are probably not as bad as you think. I'm setting up my YJ more as an all-arounder (think rainforest challenge, outback challenge). For me it looks to be an attactive option as I like still having a 2.71:1 low for slop and the 4:1 for rocks and gnarly grades. I guess the 300 would still need to be flipped for driver drop. If that's another 600 I guess you can count me out.
    Blake

'93 YJ Sahara - 2.5" RE XD, 32" MTR's, TJ flairs, XJ D44 w/ Detroit and 4.56's, M.O.R.E. SRS
    Soon: 1" body lift, 1" MML, flat skid, high-clearance hood and 35's

'06 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT - the DD and track star

AIM: "bcgettig1"

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Dev 23
    Somewhere it says that this dual setup is shorter than the stock AX-15/NP231. So it's shorter than what 98% of us already have, a bonus in my book. I've considered it too, but I'm too poor for anything right now.
    Yes and no, in that review hosted by pirate, linked above, they claim that it is shorter but they're referring to the stock NP231 with the Slip still installed. I would have to think that anyone seriously considering this mod would already be in the SYE category anyway, in which case, this mod would add about 3~4" to your drive train.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgetting
    I guess the 300 would still need to be flipped for driver drop. If that's another 600 I guess you can count me out.
    Yes you would have to flip the 300 but depending on your level of fabrication ability you don't necessarily have to spend all that cash on the DEO kit. I Toyota guy figured out how to do it a lot cheaper. I'm not saying that his finish is the best, but his technique illustrates that there are other options.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=dana+300+flip
    '92 YJ with stuff

Home - Pics - Links

I would think that this kit would work for the average wheeler. Especially those guys running the 4cyl.

Of course, in most situations, the aveage wheeler won't need this. However, I think this would be an awesome addtion to those with the 2.5l. No need to drop a 4.1 kit in either case.. Since this kit hasn't exactly been tested out a lot its hard to say what it will really hold up to. It seems like a nice addition to those that want some lower gearing and arn't doing anything too hardcore that they'd break it. I know anything can be broken but how many times have you seen a tcase break in normal wheeling conditions on nothing too hardcore?

Always nice to have more options out there. If anything, this might open the door to more applications like this with other Tcases!
    1995 Jeep YJ, 305 V8, 700R4, NP207, Unbreakable Stock Dana 35 rear! (haha)
    1" shackle lift, 2" Body, 3.5" Suspension (4WD Hardware), 33" BF Goodrich AT KO's, Herculined Interior, Xenon TJ Style Extended Flares

Originally Posted by Leadfoot:

Hit that bolt, not some silly 1 handed b!tch slap, I mean full on, wail on it like you want to with your ex style.
    LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't be that worried about the strength of it.
    If he was using a resplined shaft (he's not, but it's commonly done in doublers), I'd be more worried about that.

Those 231 planetaries are strong, and can be swapped with stronger 6 gear units if you want (look what Klune rates the those at in their Goliath)

I think this is a good option for a 300 doubler.

A 203 doubler is also a great option for doubling up a D300.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220650

Prices for 231/300 & 203/300 doublers (accurate to the best of my knowledge, if wrong please correct me), not counting T-case itself (231's & 203's can both be found pretty cheap):

Klune: $1700-1800

Mad Rooster (new shaft) $600 + alum plate + welding

Stazworks 203/300 (cut shaft): $500 + $50 core + hardware (may be available with new shaft now for below price?)

Jed'sMachine 203/300 (new shaft): $600 + hardware

WMS 203/300 (new shaft): was on sale in October for $500 (awesome price for what your getting) now $700?

Northwest Fab (new shaft): $699

BTW, there's alot of difference between kits than just the prices.

Stazworks & Jeds are two piece steel, you weld for whatever clocking you want.
    WMS's is 3/4" steel plate, includes a PTO plate cover, and pretty much everything else you'd need.
    The NWFab version is Billet Aluminum, and clockable without removing the T-case. :rob:

Mad Rooster Thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399755
    Stazworks/Jeds (huge, informative thread) :http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=146813&pp=25
    WMS:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399262
    NWF: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352003

There's also D.D. machine who seems like he'll have another alternative to the 231/300 at some point soon (mentioned in this Mad Rooster Thread):
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...30#post4763330

And BBoy who looked really promising with a Klune alternative (but hasn't been back in a while):
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208610

Finally there's this:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267239

Update

Bulltear almost has their cable shifted D300 flip kit ready:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448285

STaK is still working on an aluminum housing to re-case a D300 to a drivers side drop:

We at STaK have actually discussed building an aluminium case for dana 300 gears and shafts. Mostly we thought of it as an alternative to flipping the dana 300 upside down for driverside drops. the weight savings would be minimal if any. There would also be a variety of built in clocking options that are not present on the stock 300.
    The major benefit would be that you could build a transfer case to match your budget, from stock dana parts, to all aftermarket 300 upgrades, whatever suits your application best.
    Price would most likely be in the $500.00+ range, or thereabouts.
    We are very interested in feedback on this topic, pro or con.

Jimmy,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but we haven't had a lot of time to get online. We are still working on the dana 300 box have hope to have it out soon. We will be updating the web site with photo soon.

Thanks,

STaK 4x4

And D D Machine is making 231 & 241 doublers for $350:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...88#post5239788

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456669

My buddy's got one of these doubler's at his shop now. We're in the process of getting it installed. Since thie originally came around there have been a few more D300 flip threads come up so we've been collecting ideas for the flip. There's a guy who has flipped one without relocating the shift forks and keeping the stock inspection cover in original location. Basically some creative use of linkage was applied.

It is our plan to use cables to shift the D300 and some modified linkage to keep the inspection cover in place, but, allow the case to be upside down. Pics to come but this has been a VERY slow process so as we get things done I'll try to get some pics.
    '92 YJ with stuff

Home - Pics - Links

Bump to a good thread,
    anyone do a doubler since then?

Quote Originally Posted by jpnjim View Post
    Bump to a good thread,
    anyone do a doubler since then?
    I finished my 231/300 Box 4 Rocks doubler 3 weeks ago, though it was in a short wheel base TJ. The rear driveshaft ended up with a running length of 13 1/4", but with only 2.5" of lift, there are no vibrations or binding. The D300 is flipped, without a flip kit. I bored the shift rail housings to accept two seals each, and bored the D300 input seal housing to accept two seals also. The outermost seal is installed backwards to better seal the ATF in the 231. I made some custom twin stick cable shifters that stick up through the factory console. The 231 is also flipped and uses an air shifter.

It has been tested in some snow, and the final crawl ratio of 116:1 is nice, but it would be nice to have even lower gearing.

I just finished this mod up a few months ago, not the Madrooster version but the DD Machine version. 231 to a 300. Took it to Tellico for its 1st trial and felt it worked great. Both cases have stock gears and I am running 4.10's with 37's. I went to a passenger side drop axle also. This trip was a 1st for the crawl box, 37's and the front axle, so I had a lot of new things to pay attention to. But at 110:1, it was cool to just idol over rocks. Now I just need to get that rear E-brake hooked back up so I can do front digs

Here are the rest

Looks great dude! I am still very much wanting to do this, along with a wheelbase stretch in the rear, and a gas tank relocation, but its all on the back burner till I can start making a little more money. Looks sweet.
    Scott
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How does everyone like it? Also how was the conversion?

110:1 what's not to love? Since I did not flip my 300, the conversion was simple and a bit more inexpensive than having to buy a 300 flip kit.

You can even get a "cheap" flip kit for the D300 from DD machine on the pirate board. He sells the flip kit he makes for about $170 and its proven to work well. I think when I do this, I will run the front half of my 231 and a flipped D300 getting the flip kit from DD machine.
    Scott
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wait, so for $170 plus a D300 I can pull this off? Seems a better deal then just doing a SYE on Justin's Jeep...
    Does that $170 kit do the twin sticks?
    John Swink
    Bob Supplee (405) 799-8977 or supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net
    Don't take yourself so seriouslly, nobody else does...

John, in Steves link from above, http://www.2bndrt.com/gallery/view_a...version&page=1 it mentions right under the pg1 -2 in the top center of the page "twin stick ability" but I didn't see a pic of a twin stick installed.

Pic 17 & 18 of 29 shows the shifter pretty well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast