Thread: Up shift light in 5th gear?!?

Default Up shift light in 5th gear?!?

I did a diff swap. Went from 3:73 to 4:11. Took it to the dealer to have the speedo recal'd, but they said you have to change the speedo gear in the xfer case. They ordered it, I put it in the next day. According to this chart, I did it by the book. Right after I got done with the gear, I took it down the road to check it out, and the up shift light came on, but I was in 5th gear. Didn't just stay on, it almost seemed that the computer thought I was in 4th, even though I was in 5th. Took it back to the dealer, and they said that theres nothing they can do for it. So, I was wondering, what now? What makes the light come on? What prevented it from coming on in 5th gear before? Gotta be something...

THANKS, guys!
    Aaron
    04 Rubicon, Auto, Rag Top, Full Doors, Stock as a clock

Take the bulb out. It is useless anyways.
    92' YJ 2.5L AX15 conversion, 33x12.50x15, TB spacer, 15x10 Black Rock Crawler Wheels, 4.0 TB upgrade, Light Bar, rear rack, Bolt on SOA

Future Upgrades:
    Snorkel, Lockers, 8.8 Exploder Rear

I believe the shift light comes on when the RPM hits 2000, and then again when it hits like 3000. Its set for everygear. The engine doesnt need to UPSHIFT in 5th gear, but the computer still turns the light on. Thats my belief anyway Ignore it and floor it
    86 Toyota EXT Cab.
    7 inches of lift
    Worked Buick V6
    36s

Icon312 up shift light

I wonder if it is because you are running 31" ? You would think the upshift light would be disabled in 5th. STRANGE.... :smokee:
    :nerd: They call it PMS because the term "Mad Cow" was already taken.
    2006 Rubicon...W/ AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper, 4" on 33's. ; When my wonderful wife lets me drive it.
    2004 TJ D44- 2" on 33's MTR's
    AtoZ Fabrication rockers and rear bumper. MM Hydraulic Winch, CB and GPS, MML, 1" BL 33 Engineering TT. JB Conversion's SS-SYE and a Woody DS. NOVAK TC shifter.

The 'shift light' seems to run off manifold vacum and maybe rpm somehow. I have a vacum-boost gauge on my rig and I can tell when the shift light is about to come on based upon the manifold vacum pressure.
    Don
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Boerne, Texas

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/

Remove the upshift light, problem solved. My upshift light was gone by the end of my new TJ's first weekend at home.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Mine does it in neutral as well! I do agree with it being set to RPM's.
    '02 Black Sahara, AW4, 4" Teraflex, Gen 2 lowers & flex uppers, JKS 1.25" BL, Teraflex trackbars, 35" MTR Tera low 4:1, AA SYE, TW DS, Tera 2 low, AtoZ fab Rockers, Tomkin Gas tank skid, Crane/Rockcrusher Diff Cover, CO2, Warn 8274-50, 4.56's d30 + d44 ARB, superior, Flowmaster, 15lbs CO2, HID's

I had a little different experience with the up shift light with my 4cyl and 4.10 gears the up shift light never came for a 4th to 5th shift when I was running 31ís and 33ís but when I changed gears the 4.88ís the light now comes on for the 4th to 5th shift. But its not like I pay attention to it anyway.

Hey, bro! Glad you actually got a real mechanic to double check ya :laugh:

For everyone else....my '01 doesn't show a shift light in 5th. I'm running 31's too so I doubt tire size anything to do with it.

01 Sahara Edition TJ
    31x10.50 Firestone Destination A/T's
    2" Skyjacker Lift
    SYE & CV Driveshaft
    Bilstein Shocks
    TrerraFlex Quick DISCOs
    Garvin Wilderness Expedition Rack

"People sleep peacably in thier beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf." -Orwell

Like i said before.I think its based on what RPM you are at. Go out, and rev the car when its in nuetral. As soon an you hit 2000 the light comes on, if you go above that, it shuts off. It does this while your in gear too. Its set to show up when you hit 2000 RPM. I think thats because if you shift at 2000RPM you will get the best fuel economy. But thats JMHO
    86 Toyota EXT Cab.
    7 inches of lift
    Worked Buick V6
    36s

I don't know about other model years, But I have NEVER seen the light come on before while in neutral or in 5th. I can pretty well make it come on at diffrent RPM depending on speed and throttle. I have never seen it be cosistent as far as RPM's go. The ONLY thing I changed that made the light come on was the speedo gear. That changed the reading to the computer, which tells me that the computer is "off". What I was hoping for was a way to tell the computer that it is now running with 4:11 gears so that it will adjust the fuel mixture acordingly, but 2 diffrent DC dealers have said that it is not possible nor is it necessary. They said pull the light. Hope thats all I need, cause the damn thing runs like a scalded dog with these gears. 4:11's freakin RULE!! :pablo:

Fifth gear? Wassat>? :wb:
    Tucson AZ 4Wheelin EVERYWHERE
    Rubicons Rule Hummers drool, Suzuki's are cool too.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
    Remove the upshift light, problem solved. My upshift light was gone by the end of my new TJ's first weekend at home.
    How do you know when to shift?
    Rich
    '00 TJ, ARBs, 35"s, 9.5ti, york, cage, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by rpdp9
    How do you know when to shift?
    No worries, my wife tells me when to shift, which lane to drive in, how far to stay back from the vehicle in front, how fast to drive, and keeps asking me if I know if I know where I am going, etc..
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
    No worries, my wife tells me when to shift, which lane to drive in, how far to stay back from the vehicle in front, how fast to drive, and keeps asking me if I know if I know where I am going, etc..

Seriously though, it means you need to buy a new jeep with the 6 speed. It WANTS you to.

NO, seriously. It WANTS you to.

OBEY THE JEEP.....

Oh, and 05's don't have the shift up light anymore. See? it really does want you to. :hah:
    '05 Impact Orange Rubicon LJ 6-spd
    '79 CJ-5, finally making progress on the frame-off again

Icon312

its not what rpm you are at!! at least not entirely. Mine only comes on in 5th when its cold outside till the engine warms up. Mine comes on when i'm in a gear besides 5th for more than 20-30 seconds, no matter what the rpm its readin
    Maryland Jeep Club

-=When in doubt, throttle out!=-

'01 Ram 2500 DTT auto: 5" Stacks, Juice with Attitude, BD lift pump, OBA, um.... does a #3 sticker count as a mod?
    ================================================== ======
    '98 TJ: 35" Swampers, 5.5" Lift, 4.56, locked, ford 9", and yes, it has been in 3 magazines

Quote Originally Posted by CRJeepin

Seriously though, it means you need to buy a new jeep with the 6 speed. It WANTS you to.

NO, seriously. It WANTS you to.

OBEY THE JEEP.....

Oh, and 05's don't have the shift up light anymore. See? it really does want you to. :hah:
    Yup, thats it!! Wait till I tell my wife... that's the best persuasion I've had yet to talk her into letting me get a Rubi since they hit the showroom floor!! Then again, I could just go buy one and show up at home with it.... nah, better not.. I can see it now...