Thread: ZJ rear bump stops

Registered

Default ZJ rear bump stops

I was replacing the control arms on my 98 ZJ yesterday and I ran into a bit of a snag. I got all of them done except the rear uppers. When I went to remove the bolts holding the rear end of the rear upper control arms I could not withdraw them because of interference from the rear bumpstops. When I looked at the bumpstops I could not figure out how to remove them. I checked the FSM but they are not even mentioned. As always, your help and suggestions are appreciated.
    1998 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.8
    1974 Land Rover Series III 88

If the vehicle is jacked up by the body the suspension should drop enough to make removal of the bolt possible. Will it not? I would think that you would want the weight off the axle anyway.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Registered

I was doing a transfer case swap at the same time and I had the jeep on ramps. Jacking on the "frame" rail would probably let the axle drop the inch or two i need. That might make it tough to line up the holes on installation. I'll give it a try and see how "loaded" the control arms are with the axle drop. Thanks for the suggestion.
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.8

The rear bumpstops are pressed into that cup. You will likely destroy them if you have to pull them out.

Registered

Lets say you were replacing the rear bumb stops or or trying to extend them for a lift. You remove the stop from the cup, there by destroying the stop. Are there bolts in the cup to detach it from the "frame" rail.
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.8

Yes, there are 2 ~9/16 bolts holding each cup, and they use their superman lock-tite

Registered

Just yank the rubbers out of the cups and take the bolts out. They're tough.

Registered

So if I wanted to extend the bump stops should I rip out the old ones, get square stock of the appropriate diameter an the buy new OE bump stops. Do you know where I can find detailed pictures of extended bump stops. Thanks for your help.
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.8