Thread: WJ Rear clunk/rattle NOT shocks

Registered

Icon313 WJ Rear clunk/rattle NOT shocks

I put OME shocks and springs on my WJ about 4 months ago. Last mounth I developed a rattle when going over railroad tracks and washboard roads. It sounds like it is coming from the left rear wheel. Everything is better then bubba tight. I have done the shock bolt and washer fix (using a 24" breaker bar) and the rattle is still there. To me it sounds like a brake rattle. Is it possible the antirattle clips on the rear are bad? The pads are better then half, but should I try changing the pads and hardware and see if that fixes my problem? Anyone else have a problem like this? suggestions?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DV8R
    I put OME shocks and springs on my WJ about 4 months ago. Last mounth I developed a rattle when going over railroad tracks and washboard roads. It sounds like it is coming from the left rear wheel. Everything is better then bubba tight. I have done the shock bolt and washer fix (using a 24" breaker bar) and the rattle is still there. To me it sounds like a brake rattle. Is it possible the antirattle clips on the rear are bad? The pads are better then half, but should I try changing the pads and hardware and see if that fixes my problem? Anyone else have a problem like this? suggestions?
    Have the same problem and have given up trying to fix it. Tightened up the shocks and it went away for a while. Now I am starting to think it is the upper control arm (A-Arm) on the rear axle. I really don't know what it is because I have replaced everything short of the control arm bushings and it is still there.

Registered

Icon313

Ditto Kordax.......but I trump you with the crickets. I have cricket clunk...haha
    92 YJ 4.0 (SOLD)
    02 WJ 4.0(SOLD)
    Currently Jeepless

M&M Buggy Chassis
    (FOR SALE)

Registered

Did either of you guys change the rear brake pads and hardware?

Icon313

clarify, did you switch your oem bolts with new non-tapered ones? try wraping 1 layer of silicone tape around each rear shock bolt. If not, its a must.
    ssa ym ssik

Registered

Yes, sorry, I did switch to nontapered bolts, but I didn't use the teflon tape. Do you put this on the threads, or on the bolt to make it tighter in the shocks bushing? I also added a washer.

Yes, sorry, I did switch to nontapered bolts, but I didn't use the teflon tape. Do you put this on the threads, or on the bolt to make it tighter in the shocks bushing? I also added a washer.
    try it around the non threaded part. make sure its silicone tape. only 1 time around maybe 1.5 if itll fit. 2X if you wrap it tight. It seemed to work on mine. my $0.02, if that doesnt work get a louder stereo.
    ssa ym ssik

Registered

Well the tape didn't work. I really do not think it is my shocks. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

2012 WK2 Laredo X. Off Road Adventure 2 4x4

Icon313

Well the tape didn't work. I really do not think it is my shocks. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    just one other thing i forgot to mention. The top bolts should be replaced with bolts that are about 1cm shorter. If you buy the same length they will not fix the problem on top. I just realized this on a friends grand. So, replace the tops with 1 cm shorter bolts, and the bottom bolts are needed because they are tapered, so replace them with non-tapered, and use 1 layer silicone tape around both top and bottom where the bolt is non-threaded. Make sure to get the top bolts nice and tight, maybe even throw some washers on each side of the top, depending on what shocks you have. good luck. my bet is thats where your rattle is coming from.
    ssa ym ssik

Quote Originally Posted by ccsp
    Shut up.