Thread: Depressurizing fuel system

Registered

Question Depressurizing fuel system

I am replacing my fuel injectors and was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to depressurize the fuel system in a 1998 Sahara (4L 6Cyl) manual. I was reading on here and in a manual that you need to depressurize the system, but couldn't find details. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other tips to make this install any easier, please share. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by booboodmb
    I am replacing my fuel injectors and was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to depressurize the fuel system in a 1998 Sahara (4L 6Cyl) manual. I was reading on here and in a manual that you need to depressurize the system, but couldn't find details. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other tips to make this install any easier, please share. Thanks.
    look on top by intake, and on the fuel rail will be a small cap, looks like a tire air cap. Remove cap, there will be schrader valve, get a good size rag and some eye protection (if you what) push on the valve with screw driver fuel will come out. If you haven't driven your jeep over night there will be less pressure, there will be more pressure if you have driven within 30 mins. Thats it! Done. And of course disconnect battery before procedure.

unRegistered

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber
    look on top by intake, and on the fuel rail will be a small cap, looks like a tire air cap. Remove cap, there will be schrader valve, get a good size rag and some eye protection (if you what) push on the valve with screw driver fuel will come out. If you haven't driven your jeep over night there will be less pressure, there will be more pressure if you have driven within 30 mins. Thats it! Done. And of course disconnect battery before procedure.

before doing this, pull the fuel pump relay and run the engine until it stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-H
    before doing this, pull the fuel pump relay and run the engine until it stalls.

Oh yea forgot about that! Good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber
    Not all 4 cyl fuel rails have the schrader valve.
    If it doesn't then you'll have to pull the fuel pump relay and run it till it stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by kloppk
    Not all 4 cyl fuel rails have the schrader valve.
    If it doesn't then you'll have to pull the fuel pump relay and run it till it stalls.
    True! Another Good eye! :smokee:

Registered

When I have the new injectors installed, is there anything I need to do besides put the fuel pump relay back in?

Registered

I would turn the key on and off a few times to presurize the system, it may take a little longer than normal to start, but not big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Texan
    I would turn the key on and off a few times to presurize the system, it may take a little longer than normal to start, but not big deal.
    One time and letting the fuel pump run before starting should be enough.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
    Is this the same procedure on the 05 LJ? I'm putting on my new Savvy skid this weekend and the directions only say "depressureize fuel system according to service manuel." Problem is, I don't have a service manuel so any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    05 Rubicon Unlimited - Solar Yellow

35" BFG K/Os; 4" Rock Krawler Long Arm Suspension; Pro Comp MX-6 Adjustable Shocks; Alloy USA Chromoly Front and Rear Axles; Rock Krawler High Steer and Heavy-Duty Tie Rod; Rock Krawler Heavy Duty Front Lower Control Arm Mounts; Alloy USA Billet Aluminum Front Axle Tube Seals; Skid Row Engine/Transmission Skid Plate; Warn Steering Box Skid Plate; Warn Front Differential Skid Plate; Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid Plate; Fab Fours Rock Sliders; AFW Winch Bumper with Crosby D-Rings; SmittyBilt XRC Rear Bumper and Swing-Out Tire Carrier with Crosby D-Rings; Superwinch EPi9.0 Winch; Delta 100 Series Fog Lights; Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery; ViAir On-Board Air, Radio Shack CB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Schnervel View Post
    Is this the same procedure on the 05 LJ? I'm putting on my new Savvy skid this weekend and the directions only say "depressureize fuel system according to service manuel." Problem is, I don't have a service manuel so any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    Yep.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Or you can pull the ASD fuel relay out of socket and start jeep run until it dies. Which ever you choose!

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
    Or you can pull the ASD fuel relay out of socket and start jeep run until it dies. Which ever you choose!
    I may go with this, since I'd rather avoid having fuel all over the place if it can be avoided.

35" BFG K/Os; 4" Rock Krawler Long Arm Suspension; Pro Comp MX-6 Adjustable Shocks; Alloy USA Chromoly Front and Rear Axles; Rock Krawler High Steer and Heavy-Duty Tie Rod; Rock Krawler Heavy Duty Front Lower Control Arm Mounts; Alloy USA Billet Aluminum Front Axle Tube Seals; Skid Row Engine/Transmission Skid Plate; Warn Steering Box Skid Plate; Warn Front Differential Skid Plate; Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid Plate; Fab Fours Rock Sliders; AFW Winch Bumper with Crosby D-Rings; SmittyBilt XRC Rear Bumper and Swing-Out Tire Carrier with Crosby D-Rings; Superwinch EPi9.0 Winch; Delta 100 Series Fog Lights; Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery; ViAir On-Board Air, Radio Shack CB Radio

I just did the Savvy gas tank skid on my '06 TJ last weekend and had no problem with the fuel. I removed the pump relay and cranked the starter a couple of times. The engine did not start. I then unhooked the battery negative lead.

I laid an absorbant rag under the quick disconnects at the rear axle and at best a drop or three escaped from the system. After the install, I hooked everything up and the engine started again on the first crank.

As a heads up, you will have to remove the electrical connector at the fuel tank and may run ito the wierd connector that I did on my 06. I have pictures and there is another thread on this if you need help.

Good luck. It is a great mod, especially if you have a body lift to gain some ground clearance.
    2006 X 4.0L auto - 2.5" OME lift - - 1.25" JKS BL and 1" M.O.R.E. MML -33" BGF KM2's on Moab 16" wheels - front D30 Aussie locker -rear D35 4.10 gears with 30-spline alloy axles and OX locker - Skid Row Engine Skid - HardRock 4x4 rock sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier - MileMarker 8000 winch - CB and Ham (hf/vhf) - ORF bolt-on sports bar upgrade - Novak TC shifter - Savvy gas tank skid - AA SYE - SwayLoc dual rate

I may go with this, since I'd rather avoid having fuel all over the place if it can be avoided.
    yea at 49 psi it can get messy!

I've used the Schraeder valve to depressureize my fuel rail several times and it's a 100% complete non-issue. Simply place an absorbent cloth underneath the valve and hold up one side of the cloth a tad to catch any spray and that's it. It's sure not a fire hose or even like a shook up can of beer by any stretch of the imagination.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by tj06miker View Post
    I just did the Savvy gas tank skid on my '06 TJ last weekend and had no problem with the fuel. I removed the pump relay and cranked the starter a couple of times. The engine did not start. I then unhooked the battery negative lead.

I laid an absorbant rag under the quick disconnects at the rear axle and at best a drop or three escaped from the system. After the install, I hooked everything up and the engine started again on the first crank.

As a heads up, you will have to remove the electrical connector at the fuel tank and may run ito the wierd connector that I did on my 06. I have pictures and there is another thread on this if you need help.

Good luck. It is a great mod, especially if you have a body lift to gain some ground clearance.

Thanks Mike, I remember reading your saga the week I ordered the skid. Hopefully, the knowledge and advice already given on this subject will help me with a clean and easy install!