Thread: 03' WJ Overland Tire and Lift Question

Default 03' WJ Overland Tire and Lift Question

I just replaced my 00' 4.0 WJ with a 03' Overland and was a little shocked that they don't make REVOs for the 17" Overland wheels.

I've searched throught the forms and found that a number of people put on a 2" BB and were able to fit the smallest 17" REVOs but I wonder if thats the best way. And if I'm not mistaken wouldn't that mess the speedo and milage because of the larger tire size?

I really wouldn't mind the extra 2" from a BB but the speedo thing may be a problem. Does anyone know of a tire that is as good as the REVO that will fit the Overland 17" wheels and won't break the bank at the same time?

Thanks all for your info

Quote Originally Posted by stungbybee
    Does anyone know of a tire that is as good as the REVO that will fit the Overland 17" wheels and won't break the bank at the same time?

Thanks all for your info
    Just bought these in a 245/65/17 size for $103 ea.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall

Been running them on my 02 KJ for 3 years & have been very pleased. I think it looks great too & the wife agrees.

These are dem on the Overland
    2002 KJ LE, DOB: 1/11/02 pre-lowered; Giants (f/k/a Patriot) Blue; ABS; sunroof; heated seats; 245/70/16 Destination AT; Cabelas Trail Gear 2 Front Liners; Highland Black Armor Rear & Cargo liners; Chrome Grill mod; Putco Chrome Door handle & Mirror covers; 4D Maglite bolted to the seat; 4X4 Badges; K&N Drop-in AF; 10" Euro antenna; Giants SB XLII Champion bumper sticker

Here are your best options:

Cooper ATR 245/65/17
    Toyo Open Country AT 245/65/17
    Firestone Destination AT 245/65/17
    Bridgestone Revo AT 255/65/17 or 245/70/17 (might work w/stock setup)

I had the same issue last month that you are having now. I went with the destinations 245/65/17 and am very happy with them.

Here is a link to the Tirerack survey results, you will see the Firestones are comparable to the Revo's.

Tirerack A/T survey results
    2002 Overland - Kevins Roof Rack, , OME Sprngs, MDX-6 Shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, Rancho SS, JKS Upper and Lower Front Control Arms & Sway Bar disconnects, KOR Secondary SS installed ....phew!! Death wobble is a bitch!!

Magnaflow Cat and Back, Superchips Jeep Flashpaq, K&N Drop-in

Bridgestone Dualer 2 255/70/17 and 17" ATX Assult Black W/Mach Lip

2003 BMW M3, 2005 BMW 330Xi, 2010 Min cooper S (wife's Car)

*SOLD* 1995 ZJ 5.2 Limited, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, 31 x 10.5" Dualer Revo, Mopar Performance 3" Cat Back, Performance ECU & Cold Air Kit, MSD Wires, OME Springs, 2"BB, Kevins Roof Rack

You can get the Revo's in a 255/65-17 which is about 1 inch taller than stock. shouldnt need the BB for it but get it anyways and your speedo would be off by about 2-3% so at 50 mph its only off by 1 - 1.5 mph. mines off by 4% and its not that big of a difference.
    :mypony:

04' WJ Laredo
    Kenwood mp425 cd/mp3/wma Headunit, Kenwood SR903 Sirius Receiver,RF Punch P2002 Amp,RF Punch 10" Sub Box
    AVS In channel ventshades
    245/75-16 MTR's
    Rusty's 2" BB
    ARB Front Bumper
    PIAA 520 driving lights
    K&N 77 series FIPK
    Hypertech Power Programmer

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Big By Fahr
    I had the same issue last month that you are having now. I went with the destinations 245/65/17 and am very happy with them.

Here is a link to the Tirerack survey results, you will see the Firestones are comparable to the Revo's.

Tirerack A/T survey results
    Do you have the up country suspension?
    04 JGC limited,4.7L V8, QD, X-fer skid plate, tow hooks, Cooper Discoverer ATR's, Ongoing....I love this Jeep! :inlove:

Im thinking that I want to stick with the REVOs and that will give me an excuse to get the 2 BB as well. If I do the 2 lift what is the largest size I can safely run? It is 255/65 17s or will something larger fit?

Im thinking that I want to stick with the REVOs and that will give me an excuse to get the 2 BB as well. If I do the 2 lift what is the largest size I can safely run? It is 255/65 17s or will something larger fit?
    The ideal size with a 2"BB is probably 265/65/17

Registered

I put the Toyo Open Country AT on my 02 Limited, and I love the tire. It does reasonably well on pretty much all types of terrain, rides well, and doesn't add alot of road noise.

I have had that tire on shale rock, deep snow and mud, trail situations, and it seems to hold up pretty well. Here are some pics:

Quote Originally Posted by C.H.U.D.

Been running them on my 02 KJ for 3 years & have been very pleased. I think it looks great too & the wife agrees.

These are dem on the Overland
    I'm running the same tires and have been pleased with their performance and wear.

No, I don't have the upcountry.
    2002 Overland - Kevins Roof Rack, , OME Sprngs, MDX-6 Shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, Rancho SS, JKS Upper and Lower Front Control Arms & Sway Bar disconnects, KOR Secondary SS installed ....phew!! Death wobble is a bitch!!

Magnaflow Cat and Back, Superchips Jeep Flashpaq, K&N Drop-in

Bridgestone Dualer 2 255/70/17 and 17" ATX Assult Black W/Mach Lip

2003 BMW M3, 2005 BMW 330Xi, 2010 Min cooper S (wife's Car)

*SOLD* 1995 ZJ 5.2 Limited, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, 31 x 10.5" Dualer Revo, Mopar Performance 3" Cat Back, Performance ECU & Cold Air Kit, MSD Wires, OME Springs, 2"BB, Kevins Roof Rack

I do have the up country but it really doesn't look like I have an extra inch.

Does anyone have a picture of a 03' overland or limited with a 2" BB and 265/65/17 tires? If these are the largest recommended tire with the BB it would be great to see them on a WJ. Thanks

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ajs800
    The ideal size with a 2"BB is probably 265/65/17
    :werd:

before you go too big make sure it'll still fit in the spare tire comp't - unless you want it filling the cargo area or on the roof

Kevinsoffroad.com has a 2.5" BB that is the same concept (spring spacers). You don't need to upgrade the shocks,bars, or anything unless you want to. The system is very cheap and only takes about a half a day to install. Kevin said you would be able to easily fit 265 with it and even larger if if you trim the fenders. Hope this helps.

I've searched throught the forms and found that a number of people put on a 2" BB and were able to fit the smallest 17" REVOs but I wonder if thats the best way. Does anyone know of a tire that is as good as the REVO that will fit the Overland 17" wheels and won't break the bank at the same time?

I would look at changing your springs to OME. It will give you a better ride and the lift you want.
    08 CRD 115,000
    OME HD Lift about 3"
    4xGuard Rails
    Stillens
    AEV Wheels 5.3 BS
    JBA UCA's
    BFGs 265/70/17 (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
    Lockpic

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4791
    You can get the Revo's in a 255/65-17 which is about 1 inch taller than stock. shouldnt need the BB for it but get it anyways and your speedo would be off by about 2-3% so at 50 mph its only off by 1 - 1.5 mph. mines off by 4% and its not that big of a difference.
    Sorry to be reviving such a dead thread, but I recall how helpful these threads were when I was making a tire decision. I just mounted some 255/65-17 Continental Contitrac's (not an ideal choice, but I got them barely used for $50 for all four, so I couldn't pass them up) on my '02 Overland, and that size doesn't come close to rubbing the wheelwells, although the clearance to the rear shocks is minimal. I'd actually consider that size a bare minimum for an Overland, as the stock 235/65-17's look absolutely tiny on there.
    Bob Barry
    '02 Overland

Quote Originally Posted by C.H.U.D.

x2 on teh Geolandars. I had a set when I was stock height and they were great.

Sorry for the delay but I put 265 65 17" Revos with my 2" BB. It fits perfectly.
    There is the smallest amount of rubbing, I haven't trimmed anything, but only when I backup so its not a big deal. I still need to take some after pictures but once I do I'll post some pictures.