Thread: Auto Headlight Sensor?

Default Auto Headlight Sensor?

Can someone tell me where the sensor is located?

I install fog lights and headlight switch on my 98 ZJ but when I turn the switch to auto during the day the lights come on! I think I need to also install the sensor.
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo

No one:fatkid:
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo

I know that when i cover up the red dome shaped sensor on top of the dash my lights will come on, but not sure if that is the only one.
    '98 GC LTD np242 2"BB 255/70/17 General Grabber AT2 on Cragar soft 8s. Rusty's front adj. trac-bar and JKS front quicker disconnects. Magnaflow exhaust and K&N sealed intake snorkel ready. CB and antenna mount and custom center console mounted power inverter. Clear corners and tinted windows.

'04 Ducati Monster S4R. 996cc puttin it up, Marchesini's layin it down

On the '95 it's a small hole in the defrost grille, near the red dome (climate control sensor) on the dash.

Ok thanks. Will look into it. The only problem is I don't have the red dome! That might be why the auto lights don't work
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by BMAN
    Ok thanks. Will look into it. The only problem is I don't have the red dome! That might be why the auto lights don't work
    No, if I remember correctly, the red dome is for the auto climate control.

The photo sensor for the auto headlights is located on top of the dashboard, near the windshield on the drivers side. Its a black oval looking thing that has the photo sensor and the alarm LED built in together. The red LED is for the alarm system and right next it is the what looks like a clear LED which is the photo sensor. If ur jeep didnt originally come with auto lights then you'll have to get the sensor.

By the way, the red dome looking thing at the center of the dash is the solar sensor for the automatic climate control.

Hope this helps!!!!

1998 Platinum ZJ 5.9 Limited
    - Hella 500 driving lamps
    - 180 degree thermostat
    - K&N FIPK II
    - Mopar Performance ECU (Thanx XJMatt)
    - Bilstein Shocks
    - Addco Sway Bars
    - Rancho Steering Stabilizer
    - K40 Radar Detector w/ front & rear radar and lazer diffuser
    My 5.9L Limited (Snappahed)

1997 Stone White ZJ Limited w/ 4.0L **SOLD**
    - Stock

Thanks guys! I looked at another Jeep today and it looks like it will be a pain to try to install that sensor so I will forget that idea.
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo

I got it to work! It wasn't to hard to do. I didn't realize that you could remove the top portion of the dash!

I had to fish around to find the wire harness and once I did I just plugged the sensor in and all was fine but the alarm light wont blink once I lock the doors

I will look at it tomorrow. Thanks again for all the info on the sensor.
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo

I riced my durango

Where did you get the sensor? I contemplated doing this on mine, since I installed the factory fogs and switch. I have heard that the auto lights cause more problems than any convenience though.
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 309WHP

Registered

<-- Not a fan of the auto lights
    96' 5.2 Limited QT

Quote Originally Posted by jamskatelake
    <-- Not a fan of the auto lights
    Why? I've never had problems with the auto headlights, actually I love them.

I never have to worry about turning them on and they work perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by rayjj
    Where did you get the sensor? I contemplated doing this on mine, since I installed the factory fogs and switch. I have heard that the auto lights cause more problems than any convenience though.
    Junk yard
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    91 Porsche Turbo